Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Kids to Try Unfamiliar Foods
SilverSabre25 02:54 PM 01-14-2011
While I serve a large variety of healthy things, including a lot of different fruits and veggies, I have a group right now that often will not even TRY something if it is the slightest bit unfamiliar. This is majorly stifling my quest to find new and different snacks to serve. Is there anything I can do to encourage a bunch of 18 mo-2.5yos to try things that are perfectly delicious, just a bit unfamiliar?

They also don't like to dip. I know. It's weird. But that's beside the point.

edited: I should also add that "you have to try a bite" doesn't really work for me, not at these ages--they are not very verbal yet, most of the ones that are the problems. I'm just wondering if there's some other trick, or if I should just plan the new things and make them frequently for awhile, or what...
e.j. 03:08 PM 01-14-2011
I don't know why I started this but one day when one of my younger kids was resisting a new food, I said, "You don't have to eat it. Just smell it with your nose." She took a whiff. Then I said, "Would you like to lick it?" She did. Then I asked if she'd like a bite. She hesitated but then did take a small bite. She ended up eating the whole thing. I've since tried it (smell, lick, take a bite) with other kids and have had a lot of success with it. I don't push it with them but they do seem to respond better than if I tell them to take one bite.
Cat Herder 03:21 PM 01-14-2011
The trick that has worked the best for me is just placing it on the table like you have served it a million times before. Turn away a bit, look disinterested, fold some clothes, watch a dot on the ceiling... Anything but let them see you looking.

If you act hesitant, nervous or anxious about it, they will play it to the roof... It also helps to let them see that you are eating it, don't tell them, don't acknowledge it at all...eat and look at the dot on the ceiling...
kendallina 04:24 PM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I don't know why I started this but one day when one of my younger kids was resisting a new food, I said, "You don't have to eat it. Just smell it with your nose." She took a whiff. Then I said, "Would you like to lick it?" She did. Then I asked if she'd like a bite. She hesitated but then did take a small bite. She ended up eating the whole thing. I've since tried it (smell, lick, take a bite) with other kids and have had a lot of success with it. I don't push it with them but they do seem to respond better than if I tell them to take one bite.
That's a great suggestion. I'm totally trying that with my own daughter.

I also like what catherder said...

I have no suggestions as I deal with this issue with my DD all the time, but I will be stalking this thread...
misol 07:14 PM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:

Wow, this is very creative. I definitely have to try this.
SilverSabre25 05:31 AM 01-15-2011
I really like the suggestions so far! I'll have to try those.
Tags:food that differ
Reply Up