Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Child Care Provider

Default Confused On Getting Exact Space Percent Correct

I have measured with a measuring tape all of the rooms in the house for fire regulations. I did not include hallway, steps, or the furnace closet or the few tiny closets. Do I include the tiny closets as part of the percent? We have a bi-level home but the upstairs I measure most accurately because I counted all the closet space except the hallway which is maybe 6 additonal square feet at 911. The lower level I only came up with 804, but didn't add the 2 bedroom closet measurement which would be about 6 for the small and 10 for the big. I also didn't measure the crawl space (space under the entry) which is shared space where I store daycare items as well as personal. I would estimate that square footage would be 45 since it's the same size as the foyer itself.

So I have a three-stall garage all shared space with outdoor toys and a freezer used mostly for daycare bulk meals too. Do I need to go measure my garage and count that as house space?

I did a rough space percent with what I have now before adding anything from above (closets, crawl space, garage) and my excluse space is 678 and my shared space is 1037 and total space is 1715. If my time percent is .40 (have not figured it yet) then my time/space is 64% but I thought it would be higher because everyroom in my lower level is all daycare except the laundry room which is the entrance, but we use our washer/dryer. I have something in every room to claim everything to be shared.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 PM
New Daycare.com Member

I'm not sure about the closets and crawl space. Do you store Childcare related items in your closets? If so, I think they should be included. I know for sure the garage SQFT needs to be included and because you use this space to store Childcare related items it should be counted as a shared space. If your laundry room, which you say is also your entrance that the families enter and exit from then I would include that space as a shared space as well. Basements should also be included.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Child Care Provider

The basement is the exclusive daycare space. The closets downstairs are exclusively daycare items. The laundryroom entrance I do count as shared space but the rest of the basement is all exclusive space. The crawl space is storage for shared space and also the garage is all shared space.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default Space %

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
I have measured with a measuring tape all of the rooms in the house for fire regulations. I did not include hallway, steps, or the furnace closet or the few tiny closets. Do I include the tiny closets as part of the percent? We have a bi-level home but the upstairs I measure most accurately because I counted all the closet space except the hallway which is maybe 6 additonal square feet at 911. The lower level I only came up with 804, but didn't add the 2 bedroom closet measurement which would be about 6 for the small and 10 for the big. I also didn't measure the crawl space (space under the entry) which is shared space where I store daycare items as well as personal. I would estimate that square footage would be 45 since it's the same size as the foyer itself.

So I have a three-stall garage all shared space with outdoor toys and a freezer used mostly for daycare bulk meals too. Do I need to go measure my garage and count that as house space?

I did a rough space percent with what I have now before adding anything from above (closets, crawl space, garage) and my excluse space is 678 and my shared space is 1037 and total space is 1715. If my time percent is .40 (have not figured it yet) then my time/space is 64% but I thought it would be higher because everyroom in my lower level is all daycare except the laundry room which is the entrance, but we use our washer/dryer. I have something in every room to claim everything to be shared.
Count hallways, and furnace space and the garage as part of the total square feet of your home. Steps are space within your space, so they don't count. Count closet space as part of the room it is in. Count the crawl space as storage space.

Using your above numbers, here's your time-space %.
Square footage of exclusive use space: 678 divided by total square feet in home (1,715) = 39.5%
Regular use space divided by total space: 1,037/1,715 = 60.4%
60.4% x 40% time = 24.1%
Add exclusive use percent to regular use % = 39.5% + 24.1% = 63.6% time-space %

Join me for a webinar “2012 Tax Changes: How to Avoid Mistakes on Your Tax Return” Tuesday, February 12th at 8:30-10:00pm Eastern Time. The cost is $25 (100% tax deductible!). To register: http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Chaos Coordinator :)

Default Time% Question

I have a question on the time calculation. How do i determine how many hours were in 2012? Do I count every day or just "business" days? I know I'm over thinking it but it's the 1st year of doing them on my own so I'm uber paranoid about messing up
Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyss View Post
I have a question on the time calculation. How do i determine how many hours were in 2012? Do I count every day or just "business" days? I know I'm over thinking it but it's the 1st year of doing them on my own so I'm uber paranoid about messing up
The number of hours in 2012 was 8,784 hours. 366 days (leap year) x 24 hours a day = 8,784

Tags
business use, exlusive use, shared use, space percent, time percent, time space percent