Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Many Daycares Closing/ So Many Phone Calls!
MCC 08:35 AM 08-09-2013
A few weeks ago a daycare around the corner closed because "something unusual happened in her house, and they needed to close immediately" that's the only info I got out of the parents. I got 4 phone calls, and took 2 of the children from there on as clients to fill temporary spots I have.

Then today I have gotten 3 phone calls from another daycare that closed with no notice. I'm wondering if maybe the county has started closing down unlicensed daycares, or daycares operating without a permit? We have to have one or the other where I live.

Anyone in Northern VA that knows what's going on? Or maybe it's just a complete coincidence that they both closed? I live close to DC, but in a "smallish" area so it just seems strange to me.
tjones34 08:39 AM 08-09-2013
I'm not in Northern VA, I'm in Southern PG county and I believe they are cracking down on unlicensed folks that have been slipping through the cracks. But that's good for you cause you get to fill up.
Blackcat31 08:46 AM 08-09-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
A few weeks ago a daycare around the corner closed because "something unusual happened in her house, and they needed to close immediately" that's the only info I got out of the parents. I got 4 phone calls, and took 2 of the children from there on as clients to fill temporary spots I have.

Then today I have gotten 3 phone calls from another daycare that closed with no notice. I'm wondering if maybe the county has started closing down unlicensed daycares, or daycares operating without a permit? We have to have one or the other where I live.

Anyone in Northern VA that knows what's going on? Or maybe it's just a complete coincidence that they both closed? I live close to DC, but in a "smallish" area so it just seems strange to me.
Must be something in the air. I am in MN and there are several daycares and one center in my community closing up shop at the end of summer.

In the last week alone, I have gotten over 18 calls for child care. SEVERAL of them have or are expecting infants and there is little or NO infant spaces to be found around here.

I feel badly for some of these families as I know they aren't going to find services to meet their needs or at the very least, their options won't be plentiful.
MCC 08:51 AM 08-09-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Must be something in the air. I am in MN and there are several daycares and one center in my community closing up shop at the end of summer.

In the last week alone, I have gotten over 18 calls for child care. SEVERAL of them have or are expecting infants and there is little or NO infant spaces to be found around here.

I feel badly for some of these families as I know they aren't going to find services to meet their needs or at the very least, their options won't be plentiful.
Crazy! That is what is happening here. Both clients I took have infants on the way, and I do not have space for them, and from what I am hearing there is very little space out there.

My county put stricter limits on the amount of children we can have in January, and I think that is making it very difficult for people to find care. No idea what these people are going to do, maybe find a nanny?
Reply Up