Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reassure Me...
SilverSabre25 08:35 AM 05-05-2014
that it's okay to do crafts and NOT involve the youngest kids (a new two who just makes messes and a 14 mo). I'm going to display these prominently (in the window actually) but it's not something I can do with the younger kids. or WANT to do with them. But I feel like their parents will be offended. Or something.
Meyou 08:37 AM 05-05-2014
All good.

I would offer coloring or something to the ones not doing this craft so they have the option to be crafty too. I regularly do things with the older kids and something a little different with the itty bitties.
NoMoreJuice! 08:42 AM 05-05-2014
I do different activities for different ages all the time! And if we're doing a complicated craft, I just get crayons and paper for the littles and let them go to town while I work with the bigs. I've never had parents get offended.
Shell 09:02 AM 05-05-2014
I don't always include the littles in particular crafts and sometimes they play while the big ones have art. If I were to display some of the big kids art, I would probably include coloring or finger painting with similar colors as what the big kids made - the parents will be gushing with how cute the little art is.
Blackcat31 09:07 AM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
.....But I feel like their parents will be offended. Or something.
"Yes, Jane those are beautiful craft projects the older kids did! I can't wait until Johnny starts showing an interest in sitting that long and participating in art/craft time."

I make it clear to the parents of the little ones that sitting for art/craft time isn't really age appropriate and their time will come.

Then I toss a comment in about how they should start saving refrigerator magnets now.
jenn 09:11 AM 05-05-2014
I think it is fine! What is appropriate for the young ones, is not always what is appropriate for the older ones.
Soccermom 11:22 AM 05-05-2014
I often do crafts with just the older kids. It isn't fair to always have to do simple crafts so the littles can always participate. They don't get it anyway.

If one of them comes over and shows interest, I will let them sit with us and offer crayons and paper or something simple...but most of the time they could care less.

I have one DCM who gets really offended when she sees that her DD didn't make a craft with the rest of the DCKs and she will say annoying things like - I guess you didn't make a craft with your friends today _______. That's okay, we will make one at home.

Really!!? The kid just turned 2...she does NOT care.

Half the time, she just sits there and pours half the container of glue onto the table or eats the sparkles!
midaycare 11:38 AM 05-05-2014
Little ones and older ones just can't do the same things - the parents I have understand this. I talk about this a little while signing kids up. What you are doing is perfectly fine!
melilley 11:45 AM 05-05-2014
I do all the crafts with the younger kids, but not always in the same way. I will sit with them and help, for instance, if we are gluing things, I will hold the paper or whatever in their hands and where ever it drops is where it stays, but for painting and things like that, the younger kids usually do it too. I have one 3 yo and the rest are 2.5 and under so I guess I do gear art towards the younger children.

But, I think it's perfectly fine to not include the younger ones....you should have seen my house and the kids after we painted today...
llpa 11:46 AM 05-05-2014
It's not just ok it's the right thing to do it will just frustrate the little ones to try and do the same project as a four yr old etc. I generally let the little ones have something sensory that fascinates them or they fingerpaint or something while the older ones do their project.
sahm1225 06:10 PM 05-05-2014
Totally fine. We have 4-5 year olds, 2 year olds, one 16 month old & infants.

If it's a hard project, then we do it w just the preschoolers. Sometimes only some of the preschoolers want to do projects & that's fine (unless it's something big I planned, then participation is not optional). Sometimes the 2 year olds want to participate so if possible, we do include them. It's funny most of the 2 year olds have no interest, but the 16 month old hears 'project time' and rushes to get a chair!
Angelsj 07:17 PM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
I often do crafts with just the older kids. It isn't fair to always have to do simple crafts so the littles can always participate. They don't get it anyway.

If one of them comes over and shows interest, I will let them sit with us and offer crayons and paper or something simple...but most of the time they could care less.

I have one DCM who gets really offended when she sees that her DD didn't make a craft with the rest of the DCKs and she will say annoying things like - I guess you didn't make a craft with your friends today _______. That's okay, we will make one at home.

Really!!? The kid just turned 2...she does NOT care.

Half the time, she just sits there and pours half the container of glue onto the table or eats the sparkles!
Or uses the stick glue as chapstick.
Reply Up