Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are there any laws regarding child care centers in rental homes in Tennessee?
KidMagic 06:08 PM 12-13-2014
My wife and I are moving to Nashville with our 4-month old newborn in July (she'll be nearly 1 year at that point) and would like to start a child care center when we move there. My wife is currently a teacher but we have determined it'd make more economic sense for her to do child care vs. teach + pay for our own child's daycare.

However, we're planning to rent for a year or two when we move down there so we can learn about what areas we like initially rather than risk buying a home somewhere we don't know and being miserable stuck with a mortgage.

With all of this said - we're wondering...are there any laws specific to running child care centers out of rental homes in Tennessee? I've seen there are laws that protect renters allowing them to do this in California but can't find anything specific to Tennessee.

If not, we're wondering how difficult it will be to find a landlord who will allow us to run a child care center out of their property. We have two rental properties of our own here in Maryland and understand why there'd be concern. However, I think we would be great tenants for a landlord as we have excellent credit, take great care of our home, and never pay late!

Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
Annalee 06:30 PM 12-13-2014
Originally Posted by KidMagic:
My wife and I are moving to Nashville with our 4-month old newborn in July (she'll be nearly 1 year at that point) and would like to start a child care center when we move there. My wife is currently a teacher but we have determined it'd make more economic sense for her to do child care vs. teach + pay for our own child's daycare.

However, we're planning to rent for a year or two when we move down there so we can learn about what areas we like initially rather than risk buying a home somewhere we don't know and being miserable stuck with a mortgage.

With all of this said - we're wondering...are there any laws specific to running child care centers out of rental homes in Tennessee? I've seen there are laws that protect renters allowing them to do this in California but can't find anything specific to Tennessee.

If not, we're wondering how difficult it will be to find a landlord who will allow us to run a child care center out of their property. We have two rental properties of our own here in Maryland and understand why there'd be concern. However, I think we would be great tenants for a landlord as we have excellent credit, take great care of our home, and never pay late!

Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
I don't know of any one who provides licensed care in my small-town area in TN in a rental home...I do know that places like Memphis have not only state licensing guidelines but also city guidelines....Here is a website you might find helpful with child care licensing info... http://tn.gov/humanserv/adfam/cc_main.html
hope this helps!
KidMagic 06:36 PM 12-13-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I don't know of any one who provides licensed care in my small-town area in TN...I do know that places like Memphis have not only state licensing guidelines but also city guidelines....Here is a website you might find helpful with child care licensing info... http://tn.gov/humanserv/adfam/cc_main.html
hope this helps!
Thanks for the helpful information!

How many kids can we supervise legally without a license in Tennessee?

I'm going to go check your link now, apologize if the answer is in there!
Annalee 06:40 PM 12-13-2014
Thanks for the helpful information!

How many kids can we supervise legally without a license in Tennessee?

I'm going to go check your link now, apologize if the answer is in there!
You may provide care for 4 non-related children and as many as you want related without a license. You can still receive benefits from the USDA food program from your living area. Family Child care may keep 7 total children with a license...Group child care allows you to keep 12 with two caregivers....some group homes are allowed to keep 3 additional school age children depending on adequate space.
KidMagic 07:05 PM 12-13-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
You may provide care for 4 non-related children and as many as you want related without a license. You can still receive benefits from the USDA food program from your living area. Family Child care may keep 7 total children with a license...Group child care allows you to keep 12 with two caregivers....some group homes are allowed to keep 3 additional school age children depending on adequate space.
Thanks again, this is very helpful!

Are you in the Nashville area?
Annalee 10:59 AM 12-14-2014

No, I am in southern middle TN almost on the Alabama line, but I am TN orange through and through Here is a website with the counties so you can find someone in the Nashville area (Davidson County). http://www.tn.gov/accweb/

LysesKids 04:49 AM 12-15-2014

Like Annalee, I too am in TN...
I have a small home childcare in Blount Co... 15 minutes outside of Knoxville. Because I specialize in infant care, I can only have 4 licensed or unlicensed. I am from MD originally and found that in Southern states that many private landlords won't have an issue if you "babysit" a small group, but mention a daycare center or larger group home and you'll be told no, more than yes for renting. You can also run out of a manufactured home, but to get licensed it has to be a doublewide.
Play Care 05:38 AM 12-15-2014
Originally Posted by :
My wife is currently a teacher but we have determined it'd make more economic sense for her to do child care vs. teach + pay for our own child's daycare.
I just want to speak to this - obviously you know your situation best. But I would be very cautious giving up teaching with it's guaranteed income, benefits (health, pension, paid time off), etc. for child care. Infant spaces are more expensive, but child care costs typically go down as the child ages. Your wife's salary will continue to go up yearly. The expense of opening a child care (toys, equipment, insurance, etc) and the fact there is no guarantee of income may not make it as financially feasible as you think.
Just another perspective.
LysesKids 06:33 AM 12-15-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I just want to speak to this - obviously you know your situation best. But I would be very cautious giving up teaching with it's guaranteed income, benefits (health, pension, paid time off), etc. for child care. Infant spaces are more expensive, but child care costs typically go down as the child ages. Your wife's salary will continue to go up yearly. The expense of opening a child care (toys, equipment, insurance, etc) and the fact there is no guarantee of income may not make it as financially feasible as you think.
THIS ... I have 2 degrees and make a third of what I did 15 years ago with no bennies. Of course my situation having 2 special need kids and losing my husband 16 years ago made my other career unfeasible to keep due to nature of the job
Annalee 06:51 AM 12-15-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
THIS ... I have 2 degrees and make a third of what I did 15 years ago with no bennies. Of course my situation having 2 special need kids and losing my husband 16 years ago made my other career unfeasible to keep due to nature of the job
This ^^^ plus TN has tough state guidelines, not to mention the annual mandated assessment with the report card, to start a daycare...I have bn in business for 22+ years and rolled with change but to begin now could be overwhelming...
LysesKids 07:59 AM 12-15-2014
This is why I am glad to be licensed exempt; The state is also so far behind in keeping up with market rate amounts... subsidy here is behind according to national research; rates haven't changed in years
KSDC 11:06 AM 12-15-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
But, it depends on why you are choosing to do daycare. I gave up my teaching job to do DC and I have never regretted it. Initially it was because I wanted to be home with my children and I was willing to take a pay cut to do that.

Now, I LOVE being my own boss. I love caring for a 5-7 littles during the day instead of 20-30 of them at school. I love being home when my own children need me.

Just my perspective.
Tags:tennessee
Reply Up