Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How do I incorporate Maternity Leave
tjones34 12:07 PM 08-07-2009
I'm a mom of 3 who recently found out she was pregnant, I have been running my daycare for 3 years out of my home now. I had no idea I would get pregnant again, so my question is how do I take Maternity leave?? Or how do I explain to the parents that when the baby comes I will need some time off???
GretasLittleFriends 06:03 PM 08-07-2009
Do you have a substitute/backup now for the days you're sick/closed? I would like to believe that the parents would be understanding of your need for time-off, as most parents understand what life is like right after a new baby is delivered. Make sure you give them enough notice of the date you plan to start taking time off. I think open communication is best. If it were me, just flat out tell them (after you're 3-4mos) that a new baby is coming and that you'll need to take off 6-8 weeks starting _______. If you have a backup, look into that option. You could also check with your county and see if they have anyone that just does temporary care as an option for your parents.
Chickenhauler 02:45 PM 08-08-2009
I think if you're upfront and honest as soon as possible with your DC parents, they will be understanding....if not, then they suck as people.

I mean, they of all people should know what it's like to rebound from pregnancy and birth, they have kids after all.

Would it be possible to find a HS age girl who would be interested in coming in and helping after school (to help take the load off you for a while) or your spouse stay home and help for a few weeks after the baby is born ?

This would help keep you from inconveniencing your customers, and reduce the risk of losing some of them.
kitkat 12:23 PM 08-09-2009
I just went through this 11 months ago. I told the parents very early on about the pregnancy b/c of all the doctor appts I would be having. I was very direct about how filling in would work for my appts (my mom stayed with the kids for me and I had the appt. times usually during naptime). By 5 months along, I had a written maternity leave plan formed and handed out to my parents stating that I would stop providing care on X day and will resume on X day and it was up to them to find alternate care during that time. I took 6 weeks off and my husband "helped" for 1 week after the kids came back (more for moral support for me).

Be upfront with the parents and put things in writing. If the parents are jerks about it, show them the door.

This is a special time for you, enjoy it! Congratulations!
seashell 05:17 AM 08-10-2009
Originally Posted by kitkat:
I just went through this 11 months ago. I told the parents very early on about the pregnancy b/c of all the doctor appts I would be having. I was very direct about how filling in would work for my appts (my mom stayed with the kids for me and I had the appt. times usually during naptime). By 5 months along, I had a written maternity leave plan formed and handed out to my parents stating that I would stop providing care on X day and will resume on X day and it was up to them to find alternate care during that time. I took 6 weeks off and my husband "helped" for 1 week after the kids came back (more for moral support for me).

Be upfront with the parents and put things in writing. If the parents are jerks about it, show them the door.

This is a special time for you, enjoy it! Congratulations!
When I took maturnity leave, it was for a week and I took it as my vacation.
GretasLittleFriends 07:11 AM 08-10-2009
A week?!? Did you have a lot of children in your care? If you only had one or two maybe that wouldn't be so bad, but the kids I have now, I couldn't imagine trying to care for them all a week after giving birth.
kitkat 08:04 AM 08-10-2009
I had a c-section and there was no way I would have been able to lift kids for at least 2 weeks (drs orders). I don't have vacation time built into my contract (I have summers off because I care for teachers' kids). For me, personally, having 6 weeks was important so I could spend that time with the new baby. I've heard of providers only taking a week and I just don't know how they do it, physically, mentally, or with the lack of sleep.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:58 AM 08-10-2009
I was lucky to have fairly easy deliveries, with my son Ihad him on a thursday and I went back to work that monday, with my oldest daughter, I had her wed and went back mon,.. with my 3rd child she was born on tuesday and I went back that monday,.. with the last I had her on wed,... took off the whole next week, and went back that following monday. I had a tubal and felt I deserved the time off. I lost two families,.. and didnt miss them. to tell the truth. Its hard being both new mom and day mom, when our income depends on them staying. I dont envy anyone faced with the decision. Its one only you can make yourself on a per pregnancy basis..... Congratulations though on your pregnancy!!!!!!! =-)
Reply Up