Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had To Share...Have You Ever Had A Parent Do This?
daycare 03:38 PM 09-20-2012
I have a dck who is almost 4.

Parents could care less that I taught susie to read, ride a bike, sing songs, build towers or what not, the only thing the parent wants this child to do is PT.

Sooo the DCP have decided to hold carrots over the kids head to make DCK use the bathroom. I have posted about this DCK before.

Well Monday they drop and say if you don't use the toliet you are not going to bounce o rama.............DCK did not use the toliet all day but had one poop in the pot, they went to bounce-o-rama.

Tuesday- if you don't use the toilet today you wont go to mac donalds, kid did not use the toliet at all, but still went.

Wed- was promised chuckie cheese, kid went once on pot and then got to go to chuckie cheese.

Heres the topper....DCD calls me about 20 min ago asking me has DCK used the toliet today and I said no, oh well tell DCK that if they don't use the toilet today that they can't go to disney on ice tonight...........those tickets are like $50+ a seat, they have 4 kids.............

All I can do is sit here laughing and laughing.................I just keep thinking what are they going to buy her next to top the last thing they bought...............Oh and this KID is no where near PT..... I think that if the parents left her alone she would do it, but they fight her daily, so it's a winning battle for her and a losing one for them...
Happy Hearts 03:46 PM 09-20-2012
If my husband calls, can you tell him I went potty, BOTH #1 and #2. I want a new car.
Provider_Manda 03:47 PM 09-20-2012
Wow..DCK has them wrapped and they have no idea !!
I tried that with my son.."Your not doing this or getting that" Well we started not holding on to our word and got nowhere FAST !! And he is only 2 1/2...finally last week it clicked we got him the potty he wanted, and told him that he would not get a prize if he didn't go..One day stuck to my word, and he has been going ever since

Hopefully this family can get it figured out fast, or they are going to be BROKE !! Hope you have some popcorn to pop while you watch the show
daycare 03:47 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Sparrow:
If my husband calls, can you tell him I went potty, BOTH #1 and #2. I want a new car.
I just fell all my chair............lol hahahhahahahha

that was too funny thanks for the laugh...
countrymom 05:04 AM 09-21-2012
maybe they are at wits end. I'm sorry but at 4 she is way too old not to be potty trained.
rhymia1 05:21 AM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
maybe they are at wits end. I'm sorry but at 4 she is way too old not to be potty trained.
I agree, but they need to stop giving her the presents when she hasn't earned them. Personally at 4, I'd put her in underwear and let her go. If she has an accident then she would have to clean herself up and change.
Springdaze 05:39 AM 09-21-2012
I was going to say she's too old also and I didnt notice her age. I KNEW she was old enough because if she can be bribed by delayed things, she is old enough to go on the potty!
Willow 06:22 AM 09-21-2012
I would ask them to kindly cease the threats and pressure in my home. (Then demand it if they didn't comply).

If they want to talk like that in their own home and on their own time, that's fine, but I refuse to be a part of the mixed messages and manipulation.

All of my daycare parents understand full well that I don't participate in potty "training." In my home it is a child led process and only praise for success is allowed in my presence.
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 09-21-2012
Yo know you have been dealing with this same family and this same issue for a rather loooong time now.

At this point I would almost insist that the family take a week off, keep their child home and hit the potty training hard on THEIR time.

Enough is enough already. This kid is either seriously spoiled or seriously screwed up from all this back and forth stuff.

If they really truly believe that he is just being stubborn and the want to potty train using strict, military like tactics, they need to do it at home.

This is just plain nuts now.

I would refuse to answer phone calls from dad during the day and I would absolutely refuse to relay any type of bargaining, rewarding, threatening or any other "tell my child this...." type messages to the child.

I would refuse to discuss, talk about or report on any potty training successes, hurdles or even talking about it at all to the parents.

If they want their child trained and insist on using such horrible and inappropriate means of doing it they need to be doing it strictly on their time and not bring any of this nonsense to your home or your child care.

If they need to take more than a week off, then do it. Do whatever it takes if it is that important but STOP putting it off onto anyone else.

The second I got a chance I would tell the parents that toilet training is no longer a subject you will discuss with them. period.

They broke it, they can fix it.
renodeb 07:50 AM 09-21-2012
Yes I have. I had a parent that would bribe her son big time to pt and she always gave in and did what ever it was anyways. Months and months rolled by and he never did fully pt. He was pooping his pants at my house so regularly that I put him back in a diaper. For one thing it was a lot and very loose. Mom swore he wasnt pooping in his pants at home. He finally moved on and I 'am glad. I am very against bribing a kid to pt for so many reasons.
I really think you cant train a kid to use the toilet, he has to want to do it on his own.
Debbie
daycare 07:53 AM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yo know you have been dealing with this same family and this same issue for a rather loooong time now.

At this point I would almost insist that the family take a week off, keep their child home and hit the potty training hard on THEIR time.

Enough is enough already. This kid is either seriously spoiled or seriously screwed up from all this back and forth stuff.

If they really truly believe that he is just being stubborn and the want to potty train using strict, military like tactics, they need to do it at home.

This is just plain nuts now.

I would refuse to answer phone calls from dad during the day and I would absolutely refuse to relay any type of bargaining, rewarding, threatening or any other "tell my child this...." type messages to the child.

I would refuse to discuss, talk about or report on any potty training successes, hurdles or even talking about it at all to the parents.

If they want their child trained and insist on using such horrible and inappropriate means of doing it they need to be doing it strictly on their time and not bring any of this nonsense to your home or your child care.

If they need to take more than a week off, then do it. Do whatever it takes if it is that important but STOP putting it off onto anyone else.

The second I got a chance I would tell the parents that toilet training is no longer a subject you will discuss with them. period.

They broke it, they can fix it.
Funny you say this, because I have STOPPED everything to do with PT some time ago and that includes trying to talk with the parents about it any more. I will not force a child to do anything. I dont even ask them to go to the toilet anymore and not surprising, the DCG does not offer to use it on her own.

I did tell the parents if you really want dcg PT that bad you would hve to take time off of work or find someway for you guys to make it work at home first. Of course they passed on that offer.

I can't control what dcp do outside of their home with their kids, none of us can. I can only do what works here and I do.

At this point this whole situation has just gotten so out of control outside of my home that I am just sitting back and laughing.
daycare 07:57 AM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
I would ask them to kindly cease the threats and pressure in my home. (Then demand it if they didn't comply).

If they want to talk like that in their own home and on their own time, that's fine, but I refuse to be a part of the mixed messages and manipulation.

All of my daycare parents understand full well that I don't participate in potty "training." In my home it is a child led process and only praise for success is allowed in my presence.
I dont really see these as such serious threats as you put it and I have told the parents that what they are doing is pointless. I have told them that they are making it a negative experience because of the way they continue to try to PT, but I can't stop them from doing it. the girl is

when they are in my home, if I feel they are out of line, I would say something.
Lyss 09:01 AM 09-21-2012
LOL! I needed a good laugh this morning! Thanks!

Originally Posted by daycare:
Well Monday they drop and say if you don't use the toliet you are not going to bounce o rama.............DCK did not use the toliet all day but had one poop in the pot, they went to bounce-o-rama.

Tuesday- if you don't use the toilet today you wont go to mac donalds, kid did not use the toliet at all, but still went.

Wed- was promised chuckie cheese, kid went once on pot and then got to go to chuckie cheese.

Heres the topper....DCD calls me about 20 min ago asking me has DCK used the toliet today and I said no, oh well tell DCK that if they don't use the toilet today that they can't go to disney on ice tonight...........those tickets are like $50+ a seat, they have 4 kids.............
Holy cow! They go out a lot! I have a DCM that is doing this same thing too with gifts. DCB has a new bike, fish, ipod (at 3?!), vtech computer... plus got to go to the zoo (2x) and gets a slushy every night... and he's basically never using the potty anymore.

Originally Posted by daycare:
Funny you say this, because I have STOPPED everything to do with PT some time ago and that includes trying to talk with the parents about it any more. I will not force a child to do anything. I dont even ask them to go to the toilet anymore and not surprising, the DCG does not offer to use it on her own.

I can't control what dcp do outside of their home with their kids, none of us can. I can only do what works here and I do.
I've stopped with the DCK I'm having the same issue with too. Mom expects me to get it done while she does nothing at home (she claims she does). She'd also offer daily bribes and give them no matter what the outcome of the day was. DCB was doing extremely well here, but then one Monday he showed up and all that progress was gone. Once DCM started texting me right before pick and asking I put DCB in a diaper because they were going to be "busy" and she didn't want to "worry about it" (there's only one day a week lately she doesn't do this) I stopped working on it.

I also got really annoyed because the couple of weeks when DCB was doing great she would always ask him "did you really go potty all day or is Lyss lying?" She said it was just a joke but to me it was undermining my authority and a total lack of respect.
clep 09:17 AM 09-21-2012
I would put her in panties and leave her to it. If she pees in her pants I would have her change them.

I wouldn't coax or talk to her about it at all. I would let the parents know what I am doing and let them know there is to be no more talk about it with their child at my home or with me. They have to take their conversations about it outside.

When she starts going on the potty at your house, they can ask you what you are doing right and they can start doing it too. That is if the get their heads out of their _____.
Sugar Magnolia 09:23 AM 09-21-2012
I hereby nominate this post as "Post of the Day"
melskids 11:25 AM 09-21-2012
I just laughed so hard I went #1. In my pants.

No new car for me.

My3cents 11:39 AM 09-21-2012
worry about what is happening when the child is in your care. It takes a lot of time patience to train a child. At four-more then ready unless medical issues. I feel at this age unless a medical issue it is more about training the provider/parent. We get into a routine of it is easy to just change a diaper. Taking the time to take the child to the bathroom, put them on the potty and wait, and wipe, and praise, and wash hands and then get them out of the fascinating bathroom- it is work and time consuming and out of our normal routine of just changing the diaper.

Tell the parent you are not telling the child that. It makes you be the heavy and you don't need that added to what you already do. It is wrong on so many levels. If the parent's want to do that, let them do that on their time. It has nothing to do with you. Explain to them with out consistency and effort it just won't happen on it's own. Praise works the best. Otherwise the focus is not on doing the deed but the prize. Praising during a movement or tinkle/pee helps the child realize the control of the praise and the body. Every 1.2 hour to catch those moments, but not sitting for long, esp if nothing happens.

Best is not easy to when parents have one way and the provider has a different way. Tell the parents before you do anything on your part is needs to really start at home and they need to be committed to making this work. It sounds like they want to be, but want the magic button that will make it happen at the click of a finger.
daycare 12:37 PM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
worry about what is happening when the child is in your care. It takes a lot of time patience to train a child. At four-more then ready unless medical issues. I feel at this age unless a medical issue it is more about training the provider/parent. We get into a routine of it is easy to just change a diaper. Taking the time to take the child to the bathroom, put them on the potty and wait, and wipe, and praise, and wash hands and then get them out of the fascinating bathroom- it is work and time consuming and out of our normal routine of just changing the diaper.

Tell the parent you are not telling the child that. It makes you be the heavy and you don't need that added to what you already do. It is wrong on so many levels. If the parent's want to do that, let them do that on their time. It has nothing to do with you. Explain to them with out consistency and effort it just won't happen on it's own. Praise works the best. Otherwise the focus is not on doing the deed but the prize. Praising during a movement or tinkle/pee helps the child realize the control of the praise and the body. Every 1.2 hour to catch those moments, but not sitting for long, esp if nothing happens.

Best is not easy to when parents have one way and the provider has a different way. Tell the parents before you do anything on your part is needs to really start at home and they need to be committed to making this work. It sounds like they want to be, but want the magic button that will make it happen at the click of a finger.
Sorry, I dont mean to sound rude, but where and when did I ever say I was particiapting in what the parents are doing??

I will not and have not done anything past asking this child to use the toliet, if they say no, its no and that is the end of it.

If the parents want to keep ignoring what I tell them, well then so be it. I have said my words with them and they choose to ignore me.

Why do I think its funny what is going on now?? Because I see what is going on. I see the DCG playing them like a fiddle while they just keep buying and bribing and on and on.... While I sit here and just go on with our day...
Abigail 05:55 PM 09-21-2012
The most time consuming thing I've done is being asked to take a child (almost 3) to the potty every 15 minutes. No diapers underwear. I agreed yet was really not liking it at first. We had a few good days, but when this cihld went in their pants they didn't care. It happened 4 times one day and I was so emotional I almost cried to my husband during nap I was so frustrated. I always went through all the extra pants and underwear in a day so the child went home in a diaper. My daycare friend told me to save one pair of pants and underwear to send child home in. I swear since that day when that child wore underwear home (and probably had accidents) it worked. The next day we talked on how much better it went (meaning 1-2 accidents which one was always nap time) and then I heard from the parent that the child asked for a diaper whenever they got home. So it was really just a little too much working at daycare and diapers at home since it wasn't much "awake time" at home during the week. Once they kept up with it (is what I'm assuming what happened) then it all turned around.

The 15 minutes horrible accidents DID last 2 weeks, yes, but not always tons of accidents but always 1-2 and somedays MORE. Then all of a sudden it went to 1-2 accidents a week and the 15 minutes turned into 20 to 25. Then I had another child come with a potty watch TOTALLY HATE THOSE THINGS! It goes off every hour and this child could hold it for the hour and go. This really really helped my 15 minute starter for the pt event so they learned to hold it for 45 minutes and more. Now it's amazing. I went from having 3 two-year olds in diapers in 2 months to 3 2- year olds wearing underwear but two wear diapers during nap just incase. SO HAPPY

Sorry it was a long story. I would never allow a 4 year old not to be potty trained unless it was a medical situation. If the parents were not on board with how things were expected at daycare it's just like behavior--pt that is--then they are not a good fit for my daycare. End of story.
rbmom 06:10 PM 09-21-2012
I love this!!
daycare 06:56 PM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
The most time consuming thing I've done is being asked to take a child (almost 3) to the potty every 15 minutes. No diapers underwear. I agreed yet was really not liking it at first. We had a few good days, but when this cihld went in their pants they didn't care. It happened 4 times one day and I was so emotional I almost cried to my husband during nap I was so frustrated. I always went through all the extra pants and underwear in a day so the child went home in a diaper. My daycare friend told me to save one pair of pants and underwear to send child home in. I swear since that day when that child wore underwear home (and probably had accidents) it worked. The next day we talked on how much better it went (meaning 1-2 accidents which one was always nap time) and then I heard from the parent that the child asked for a diaper whenever they got home. So it was really just a little too much working at daycare and diapers at home since it wasn't much "awake time" at home during the week. Once they kept up with it (is what I'm assuming what happened) then it all turned around.

The 15 minutes horrible accidents DID last 2 weeks, yes, but not always tons of accidents but always 1-2 and somedays MORE. Then all of a sudden it went to 1-2 accidents a week and the 15 minutes turned into 20 to 25. Then I had another child come with a potty watch TOTALLY HATE THOSE THINGS! It goes off every hour and this child could hold it for the hour and go. This really really helped my 15 minute starter for the pt event so they learned to hold it for 45 minutes and more. Now it's amazing. I went from having 3 two-year olds in diapers in 2 months to 3 2- year olds wearing underwear but two wear diapers during nap just incase. SO HAPPY

Sorry it was a long story. I would never allow a 4 year old not to be potty trained unless it was a medical situation. If the parents were not on board with how things were expected at daycare it's just like behavior--pt that is--then they are not a good fit for my daycare. End of story.
I am on board with that I have PT 3 kids in the last 3 months, and this child obviously is not one of them....
Reply Up