Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Aargh - Tired Of Having To Beg For Payment...
MNMum 03:44 PM 01-02-2013
So a family that is usually great about paying me. Showed up today with payment only for this week. They are teachers, so kids did not attend last week. But I was open and get paid for the holidays. Part of me just wants to let it go because I'm tired of the conflict.

Then my own kids were sick today. I opened, 2 of 3 families choose to stay home. Now one family hasn't attended in two weeks and will owe 3 weeks pay when they show up on Monday. The other family challenged whether or not she would need to pay for this day. I hate this part of the job.
LaLa1923 04:37 PM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:
So a family that is usually great about paying me. Showed up today with payment only for this week. They are teachers, so kids did not attend last week. But I was open and get paid for the holidays. Part of me just wants to let it go because I'm tired of the conflict.

Then my own kids were sick today. I opened, 2 of 3 families choose to stay home. Now one family hasn't attended in two weeks and will owe 3 weeks pay when they show up on Monday. The other family challenged whether or not she would need to pay for this day. I hate this part of the job.

I feel you. If I'm closed or they take vacation my families are required to pay the week BEFORE. So if I was off this week they would've paid last Friday for this week and next week...
Sprouts 06:18 PM 01-02-2013
please! Change the way your payments work Always get paid in advanced, this will help you avoid this whole conflict!

this is part of my rates and fees agreement, if you would like to use it (or anyone else, pm me) I used the tom copeland book and some other things to help me

Overtime Rates/Late Fees: Please initial each statement to recognize understanding

_____/_____: If the weekly rate is not paid by 12 pm each friday, Parent/Guardian agrees to pay a late fee of $10.00 per day until the account is current.

_____/_____: For the purpose of this agreement, overtime will be considered as drop off BEFORE of AFTER the hours and days agreed upon for child care.

_____/_____:If parent/legal guardian makes prior arrangements with the provider, the child may stay over time at the following rate:$________ per _____________or portion thereof. (**The provider is not obligated to this and is based on availability.)

_____/_____:Early/Late fees: If child arrives earlier or later than the agreed upon times, the following rate will be charged: $5 for first 10 minutes, and $1 per minute thereafter.

_____/_____:Notification must be made, in writing, if any changes are needed to these hours. Two weeks notice is required for permanent changes in schedule. Parents agree to pay childcare according to schedule.

daycaremom76 07:55 PM 01-02-2013
I have to say of all my stress this is the least complicated one......I have no problem telling a parent if they don't pay then don't leave your kid! My payments are due the Friday morning prior to the service week. If they don't pay in the morning they get a text "Don't forget to drop off your check when you pick up Johnny" If they forget again I remind them that it's $10 per day including the weekend. If they don't pay on Monday morning then they take Johnny home with them to get the checkbook! I have only had to send 1 family home in 3yrs and she was back in 15 minutes with her checkbook and was never late again! If they went a week w/o paying then they better be looking for another provider during that week cause they wouldn't be allowed back period! I've had parents stop by and drop off their payment even if their child was out sick on friday. You better bet if their boss was late paying them on payday they would be freaking out, I'm not independently wealthy so it isn't any different!
cheerfuldom 08:01 PM 01-02-2013
why are you not getting paid in advance?????
bunnyslippers 06:32 AM 01-03-2013
I am having this same issue this week. Just opened yesterday after the break. Closed today, due to my own illness. Had 3 families who owed payment yesterday (payment is due first day of care each week). None of them paid. Now I am closed, and have to wait until next week to get this week's check.

I also know some of them will try to negotiate with me b/c I was closed today (I don't negotiate). I am so tired of having to expalin myself over and over again. Also tired of having to make 5 phone calls every time I need to close (it doesn't happen often) just to have the dcps try to finagle a way to be here anyway. So over this job lately!!!! June can't come quickly enough!!!!!
daycaremom76 07:49 AM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I am having this same issue this week. Just opened yesterday after the break. Closed today, due to my own illness. Had 3 families who owed payment yesterday (payment is due first day of care each week). None of them paid. Now I am closed, and have to wait until next week to get this week's check.
Why do you have to wait until next week? Why can't they pay you tomorrow for this week??? I used to get Paid on Monday's but a lot of holidays ended up falling on Monday and parents would forget cause of the weekend so I changed my payday to the friday prior to the work week and it has been so much easier on everyone.. Plus I have money in the bank when I go grocery shopping over the weekend or hit the craft store for supplies! It sucks that your closed today but they need to pay for being at least a day late and they need to bring payment tomorrow! These parent's wouldn't stand for their bosses paying them late so they shouldn't be paying you late either!
MNMum 12:02 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:

I also know some of them will try to negotiate with me b/c I was closed today (I don't negotiate). I am so tired of having to expalin myself over and over again. Also tired of having to make 5 phone calls every time I need to close (it doesn't happen often) just to have the dcps try to finagle a way to be here anyway. So over this job lately!!!! June can't come quickly enough!!!!!
This is how I currently do it as well. If I am closed on a Monday, they can bring it the next day without penalty. Also, if they are absent for illness, I do not make them pay until they return.
MNMum 12:06 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:

I sent an email to teacher family, they brought another check for last week. No argument. Still stresses me out though.

Then my PT kid who is here T/Th shows up for the first time this morning. They choose to pay each month (which I'm fine with). They shorted me for New Years day. We just had this conversation about Christmas last month...if they want to argue it, their last day can be what they have paid me for. No respect.
Tags:backbone, late payment, paid holidays, parents - confrontational
Reply Up