Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How's This Wording?
Heidi 01:19 PM 10-16-2013
In addition to the vomiting, fever, etc. standards, I'd like to add something to my sick policy about excluding for not being able to participate (you know...the kid who's almost sick and will definitely show up for 2 hours, get everyone ELSE sick, and then be sent home).

Illness policy:

Illness:

It is not always easy to decide if a child should remain at home due to illness. Children who come to childcare are expected to participate fully in childcare activities. Children who are exhibiting the following symptoms will be sent home or should remain home:

Diarrhea- stool that is watery or less formed, occurs more often than usual, and is not contained by diapers or toilet use. Infants and toddlers should be excluded from childcare if they have two or more stools, which cannot be contained in a snug fitting diaper. Toilet trained children should be excluded if they have two or more large, watery stools in 8 hours or one loose, uncontrolled bowel movement in which the child is unable to make it to the toilet.

Vomiting- Children who vomit 2 or more times in the previous 24 hours or who have vomiting with a fever must be excluded from the daycare until they have been free of symptoms for 24 hours without the aid of medication.

Fever- A digital thermometer will be used in determining a fever. Infants and toddlers temperatures will be taken under the arm. A temperature of 100.5 degrees F is considered an indication of a fever. Children will need to be excluded from daycare until the child is free from fever symptoms for 24 hours without the aid of medication.

General malaise such as lethargy or excessive crying. While occasionally children may just “have bad day” (as we all do) or may be a little out of sorts from teething, it is important to note that any child coming to daycare must be able to participate in normal group activities such as going outside, eating at mealtimes, and sleeping independently . A child who is up at night suddenly, or who refuses breakfast and is extremely irritable may be trying to indicate that he or she is getting sick. Since most illnesses are spread before all symptoms are present, this would be time to consider keeping the child out of daycare.

A child who is too ill to remain in care will be isolated from the other children, but within my sight and sound. The parent will be notified of their child’s illness and will be required to pick up their child within 30 minutes. In the event that a child is sent home sick, he or she must be excluded for a full 24 hours after exclusion symptoms are gone.

It is important that you notify the provider if any medication has been administered to your child within the last 24 hours. Should there be a medical emergency it is crucial to report whether or not the child is on medication.

It is my preference not to administer any medications (prescriptive or OTC) due to possible liability issues. However, exceptions will be made at the provider's discretion and for emergency medications (such as Epi-pens or emergency inhalers).

In accordance with licensing standards, all prescriptive and non-prescriptive medications (including diaper rash creams and sun screens) that need to be administered at by the provider require that the parent complete an authorization to administer medication form. All medication must be in its original container bearing the label with the child’s name and administration directions. Medications administered are recorded in the medical log. Any communicable diseases will be reported to the health department as required by licensing standards.
CedarCreek 01:39 PM 10-16-2013
That sounds good to me!
spud912 01:53 PM 10-16-2013
Sounds good!
Tags:illness policy, illness policy - samples
Reply Up