Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CACFP in After School Programs?
Leigh 05:36 PM 09-21-2018
Our local Boys and Girls Club has an all day daycare as well as an after school program. I saw one of their Facebook ads today that was touting their healthy meals and snacks. In their photos, kids had juice, nacho cheese Doritos, Craisins, and other vending machine type foods. They're CACFP providers. Are rules different for places like this? I know that I couldn't serve things like Craisins, for sure.
LittleExplorers 05:46 PM 09-21-2018
I am apart of the food program and can serve raisins, they just need to be more than a fruit serving and I believe there is one more rule to it. I can also serve 100% juice on a limited basis. I don't but can serve anything I want in addition to the required elements so maybe they are serving Doritos that way.
Leigh 06:04 PM 09-21-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
I am apart of the food program and can serve raisins, they just need to be more than a fruit serving and I believe there is one more rule to it. I can also serve 100% juice on a limited basis. I don't but can serve anything I want in addition to the required elements so maybe they are serving Doritos that way.
I didn't know anyone could serve raisins! My sponsor, at least, won't allow them.
284878 04:09 AM 09-22-2018
Rasian in kidkare is number 33 in the fruit category. (Serve them weekly)

However op originally posted that they were serving crasians, which are dried cranberries. They are not on the kidkare list however, they look alot like rasians but a little larger. They contian added sugar, so I doubt they are approved.

Doritos are corn based not potato (also gulten free) and are 75 in the bread category, (sun chips/ Doritos). (However I never serve them)

If your for sponsor is telling no rasian, I would ask why, they are approved by the USDA. Plus the ingredients are simply, dried grapes (prunes are also approved but most dried fruit are not.)
Leigh 06:52 PM 09-22-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
Rasian in kidkare is number 33 in the fruit category. (Serve them weekly)

However op originally posted that they were serving crasians, which are dried cranberries. They are not on the kidkare list however, they look alot like rasians but a little larger. They contian added sugar, so I doubt they are approved.

Doritos are corn based not potato (also gulten free) and are 75 in the bread category, (sun chips/ Doritos). (However I never serve them)

If your for sponsor is telling no rasian, I would ask why, they are approved by the USDA. Plus the ingredients are simply, dried grapes (prunes are also approved but most dried fruit are not.)
I think our sponsors may enter their own codes? 33 is Papaya for me. 75 doesn't exist under bread for me. Sun Chips/Doritos isn't an option for me when I type it in, nor are raisins. They did tell me once that raisins aren't allowed because the serving size would be too large to meet the fruit requirement.

I think I'm going to find the USDA list and compare it to my sponsor's. I don't want to serve Doritos, but I'd love to be able to claim raisins, since my kids love them!
hwichlaz 09:14 AM 09-24-2018
Sun Chips count as a whole grain for me But I don't have them in my menu, I chose whole grain tortilla chips when I serve them, then snap a pic of the label and put it in a file folder on my computer that I save for the food program.
Blackcat31 09:44 AM 09-24-2018
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I think our sponsors may enter their own codes? 33 is Papaya for me. 75 doesn't exist under bread for me. Sun Chips/Doritos isn't an option for me when I type it in, nor are raisins. They did tell me once that raisins aren't allowed because the serving size would be too large to meet the fruit requirement.

I think I'm going to find the USDA list and compare it to my sponsor's. I don't want to serve Doritos, but I'd love to be able to claim raisins, since my kids love them!
Page 35 says: "Dried fruit credits on a volume basis only. A minimum portion of 1/8 cup is required. See page 63 for
additional information"

On Page 63 it says:
"Raisins
We recommend that smaller portions of raisins be served, such as 1/8 cup (2 Tbsp). This smaller portion size must be supplemented with another fruit or vegetable to meet at least the minimum portion size required by age and meal pattern requirement. The pattern permits a combination of two fruits and/or vegetables. This combination is permitted even when only one portion is required. As always, there is a minimum portion size of 1/8 cup for the smaller portion of the two vegetables/fruits. This recommendation is made because preschoolers may not be able to digest larger portions of dried fruit. In addition, since raisins have a sweet, sticky consistency, potentially increasing the risk of dental caries, the menu planner may wish to consider adding a crunchy item to the menu to help preclude this concern. Please note that dried cherries, cranberries, and blueberries are credited in the same manner as raisins."

https://www.cacfp.org/files/9914/424...nghandbook.pdf
daycarediva 10:15 AM 09-24-2018
I serve raisins WITH another food (eg in toddler friendly trail mix, with 1/2 banana on the side).
Tags:after school program, cacfp
Reply Up