Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing and Awkward
Unregistered 04:40 AM 03-28-2011
I am closing my daycare and I am not sure what to say to the families on the last day of care. For two weeks they have been asking me if Im sad and I tell them its bittersweet, because I will miss the kids but not the parents crap they have put me through. They hang around talking to me about how sad I should be and its just akward. I am going to do something for the kids on the last day but how do I deal with the last day? Like what do I say to the parents when they hang around? I think they want to see me cry and carry on and I am just not going to do that. I will miss the kids, but I am ready to be done with daycare. How can avoid an awkward stand around on the last day of care?
ninosqueridos 05:10 AM 03-28-2011
If you're doing any last day activities (like cupcakes or something), then I'd keep all of the celebration in the morning. In the afternoon, I would have EVERYTHING ready, kids in coats, shoes, etc so they'd hopefully get the hint that you're ready to have them out the door at pickup. Good luck to you!
nannyde 05:22 AM 03-28-2011
Do your final party the day BEFORE you close and send home everything you possibly can so the final day is just sending the child out the door.

When the parents ask if you are sad say "oh no... I'm certain you have found perfect care for your child.. afterall you picked ME. You are great at it and I know the kids will be very happy. That's all that's important to me."
dEHmom 05:26 AM 03-28-2011
awww, see i'm not almost done with daycare, but one of my dcks final week is next week

I will miss her greatly, and I'm worried I will be crying when pickup time comes around. But I'm sure mom and I will be hanging out a bunch afterwards, so we should be ok.
marniewon 10:29 AM 03-28-2011
Nan had a good idea. I'm also closing my daycare, and have several discussions with one family about it, but not if I'm going to be sad or not, in fact, not even about me at all. They are worried they are not going to be able to find care for the price that they pay me (which is about $50/week less than I charge normally).

At the end of 2010 I had a dcb leave - he'd been with me since he was 7 weeks old and he was 15mon when he left. Mom kind of stood around at pickup like she was waiting for something and it was very awkward. Truth be told, I couldn't wait until he was gone, as he was a handful, so I wasn't exactly crying as they left.
Unregistered 11:02 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Nan had a good idea. I'm also closing my daycare, and have several discussions with one family about it, but not if I'm going to be sad or not, in fact, not even about me at all. They are worried they are not going to be able to find care for the price that they pay me (which is about $50/week less than I charge normally).

At the end of 2010 I had a dcb leave - he'd been with me since he was 7 weeks old and he was 15mon when he left. Mom kind of stood around at pickup like she was waiting for something and it was very awkward. Truth be told, I couldn't wait until he was gone, as he was a handful, so I wasn't exactly crying as they left.
Did you nicely show them the door I will miss certain kids more than others, I think is a natural feeling, I will miss my great families more than than the ones who causes problems, but have already told the good ones that I would be their date night babysitter I just want to try and avoid the akwardness I'm not sure if that is going to be possible or not. How did you get her out the door or was it just the silence and then Ok then see you later. Thats whats I am nervous about kwim? Just standing there staring at each other and me being like Ok bye.
Live and Learn 11:27 AM 03-28-2011
At drop off in the morning let everyone know that you have an "important appointment" immediately after pick up. Then at pick up shush everyone out the door with a bright cheery smile on your face and a sincere "Take care!"
marniewon 11:56 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Did you nicely show them the door I will miss certain kids more than others, I think is a natural feeling, I will miss my great families more than than the ones who causes problems, but have already told the good ones that I would be their date night babysitter I just want to try and avoid the akwardness I'm not sure if that is going to be possible or not. How did you get her out the door or was it just the silence and then Ok then see you later. Thats whats I am nervous about kwim? Just standing there staring at each other and me being like Ok bye.
It was like, silence, okay, see you later. After a lot of mom trying to talk, and awkward pauses. Yeah, it was awkward. Not sure how this time will go. Like you, I'm hoping for a quick goodbye and take care, and out the door.

How much longer until you close? I have 14 days left (no, I'm not counting or anything.....LOL).
nikia 11:59 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
It was like, silence, okay, see you later. After a lot of mom trying to talk, and awkward pauses. Yeah, it was awkward. Not sure how this time will go. Like you, I'm hoping for a quick goodbye and take care, and out the door.

How much longer until you close? I have 14 days left (no, I'm not counting or anything.....LOL).
4 days left, after 5:30 tonight Im not counting either :lol

PS i didnt log in earlier because I was on my phone typing it all lol
Live and Learn 01:26 PM 03-28-2011
Nikia and Marniewon....hope you don't mind me asking.....how long have you each been doing this?

My hubby's business has recovered from the recession .....and frankly after 7 years I am feeling like I need to do something else.
nikia 01:51 PM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Nikia and Marniewon....hope you don't mind me asking.....how long have you each been doing this?

My hubby's business has recovered from the recession .....and frankly after 7 years I am feeling like I need to do something else.
2 years this time around, when I used to do it, it was only for one family, more like babysitting instead of running a business the first time. It got me through a tough time when I was laid off, but when my old boss called and offered me my job back I knew that is what I wanted to do. I am excited to have flexiblity and health insurance paid by an employer

Do you know what you would like to do?
Hunni Bee 04:33 PM 03-28-2011
It's strange...I had a dcg leave last Monday...she had been with us for more like a year and a half. I really loved her...I spend the week before getting the kids ready, telling them that dcg would not be with us after Monday, we made her a good-bye book...

Monday morning, dcm asked could she bring cupcakes and juice...I told her fine, to bring them around snack time, around 3:30...keep in mind, mom doesnt work....3:30 comes and goes...I get off at 4:30 and was supposed to meet someone after work. This woman breezes through the door at 4:25. I was pissed, but I tried to hurry and stuff the cupcakes and juice into the kids...mom visits with all the kids...then dad shows up and wants to do the same thing. Its 4:55 and the person I'm supposed to meet at 5 is calling...Im trying to clean up, get everybody's coat on, get my things, get everyone to the teacher who takes over for me.

I hugged dcg...told her I loved her...said goodbye to the parents. These people WILL NOT LEAVE. I dont get out the door til 5:15...the person I was supposed to meet went home...when I left, dcp's were STILL THERE...waiting for what, I dont know...

I dont what they wanted from me
marniewon 05:22 PM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:

I'm coming up on 2 years. I'm quitting because we are moving to another town. I've been kicking around the idea of getting licensed in the new house, but am uncertain whether there will even be any kids to watch. I don't really want to put out a ton of money to get relicensed and then not have anyone, so I'm debating what I will do after we move.
Tags:close daycare, close daycare - sample letter
Reply Up