Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Suggestions?
lvt77 09:13 AM 01-18-2011
I have been having a lot of issues with parents taking their kid home from care sick and then bringing them back the next day stating that they are fine, just to be sent home sick again.
I was thinking about creating some kind of readmission form that parents would be required to sign after their child has been out ill. Something that states that their child has been free of illness without the aid of medication for 24 hours or more. Along with some kind of penalty, if I have to send them home again………I just hate it when I am lied to and want to find a way to stop this.
Any suggestions?
Lilbutterflie 09:33 AM 01-18-2011
I think that it is enough to just state this policy in your contract. If it's not already in your contract, add it and have all of your parents sign it.
When a child becomes ill and a parent picks up, remind them again of your 24 hour policy. Remind them (or send a newsletter home) that if a child has a fever in the evening, and no fever in the morning, they still need to stay home that day b/c 1. They had a fever the night before and you have a 24 hr rule AND 2. A child usually won't have a fever until afternoon hours. Just b/c they don't have a fever in the morning doesn't mean they won't develop one in the afternoon/evening. If they do not develop a fever that evening (without the use of fever reducing medication), then they may return the next morning.

If they continue to bring their child with symptoms that magically appear in the afternoon... I'd say it's grounds for penalties (if stated in the contract) or termination.
lvt77 09:39 AM 01-18-2011
I do have this stated in my policy, but I think that you are correct that I will need to send out a reminder again. Even though I just did three weeks ago. I just thought that if they had to resign something that it might make them think NOT to send them ill....
ammama 09:45 AM 01-18-2011
I always talk to them in the morning, and have turned a child away at the door several times. If they bring a child whom I sent home sick the day before, I will not usually let them in the house in the morning, quoting my 24h rule on fevers/vomiting (which is usually why children get sent home at my house, as I don't usually mind just coughs/sniffles).
lvt77 09:51 AM 01-18-2011
Maybe I am not doing something right here. I have it in my policy that they must stay home for 24 hrs without aid of meds.
I guess the issue is that I sent child home for vomiting once, but a very large amount and child was not acting fine. In my policy it states excessive vomiting..... Perhaps I need to change this???
marniewon 10:01 AM 01-18-2011
I wouldn't even say "excessive vomiting"....once is enough to get sent home here!

I've been kicking an idea around, but not sure it would fly. IF a child is sent home for any type of illness, they must stay home for 24 hours AFTER that time, fever/symptom free with NO meds. IF they bring their child the next day saying that child is fine and symptom free, have them sign a statement saying so. Let them know by signing it, they are agreeing to a "sick" fee if child shows symptoms again that day. Like I said, I'm not sure if this would fly or not, but by putting a price on their word, maybe they won't be so quick to dope and run?

Thoughts?
momma2girls 10:04 AM 01-18-2011
I have had this same thing in my contract for 8 yrs. I have had a couple of incidences where I will call parents with a fever or vomiting, let's say at 12:00- then the next day they show up at 12:00 and say they didn't have it any longer. Needless to say each time this has happened, I have had to call them back to come and pick up their child. They infected everyone in daycare again!! So now I placed in the contract, I will not accept the child back the next day, if I called the parents to come and pick up the child. It is totally not worth it!!
lvt77 10:06 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I wouldn't even say "excessive vomiting"....once is enough to get sent home here!

I've been kicking an idea around, but not sure it would fly. IF a child is sent home for any type of illness, they must stay home for 24 hours AFTER that time, fever/symptom free with NO meds. IF they bring their child the next day saying that child is fine and symptom free, have them sign a statement saying so. Let them know by signing it, they are agreeing to a "sick" fee if child shows symptoms again that day. Like I said, I'm not sure if this would fly or not, but by putting a price on their word, maybe they won't be so quick to dope and run?

Thoughts?
This is exactly what I was talking about... No matter how many "Friendly Reminders" I can send out, it still happens. I feel that if they are required to sign a readmission form it will make them think twice about doing it????
lvt77 10:10 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I have had this same thing in my contract for 8 yrs. I have had a couple of incidences where I will call parents with a fever or vomiting, let's say at 12:00- then the next day they show up at 12:00 and say they didn't have it any longer. Needless to say each time this has happened, I have had to call them back to come and pick up their child. They infected everyone in daycare again!! So now I placed in the contract, I will not accept the child back the next day, if I called the parents to come and pick up the child. It is totally not worth it!!
Well I truly think that your policy sounds great, but what do you do when a child has gag reflux? Knowing that they are not contagious but vomits excessively while at care one day? Does this mean that they cant come back the next day?
momma2girls 10:12 AM 01-18-2011
Then many parents think it is Ok to allow them back into daycare even if it is noon the next day, when you called them at noon for their child vomiting the day before. Then they say, they haven't vomited or had a fever since leaving daycare!!
lvt77 10:22 AM 01-18-2011
Well I have a lot of vomit issues here...lol
I have one DCB that has gag reflux and vomits at least once a day. Doctor statement on file. So I can't send him home every time this happens. I only send him home if its out of normal routine, other symptoms are evident or he vomits excessively throughout the day. Other parents are aware of this, so they feel if he can stay here and vomit then so can my kid.

I feel stuck here, as there is a lot of grey area when it comes to this child and my policy. The part that worries me, is that how do I know for sure that DCB vomiting is caused by gag reflux and is not the flu? I don’t and can’t tell…….
Recently some kids were sent home from vomiting and then the parents brought them right back for me to send them right back. Like a ping pong game......?? What to do?
Lilbutterflie 11:33 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I have one DCB that has gag reflux and vomits at least once a day. Doctor statement on file. So I can't send him home every time this happens. I only send him home if its out of normal routine, other symptoms are evident or he vomits excessively throughout the day. Other parents are aware of this, so they feel if he can stay here and vomit then so can my kid.

I feel stuck here, as there is a lot of grey area when it comes to this child and my policy. The part that worries me, is that how do I know for sure that DCB vomiting is caused by gag reflux and is not the flu? I don’t and can’t tell…….
Recently some kids were sent home from vomiting and then the parents brought them right back for me to send them right back. Like a ping pong game......?? What to do?
I know your policy is to stay home 24 hrs after being sent home for vomiting, right? When they do return, do you ask the parents before letting them stay WHEN the last time he/she vomited was? It's important how you ask the question, make them tell you exactly when the child vomited last, instead of asking them IF they vomited in the last 24 hours. It's very easy to see if someone is lying to you if they have to tell you WHEN instead of a simple yes or no. In this case if they were lying, they'd have to quickly think of what time it was now, and when previous 24 hours would be in order to pull off the lie. Hopefully you'll be able to catch the uncomfortable "Ummmm.... Ohh.... Uhhhh..."
If this is becoming a trend for certain parents, they are voiding the contract by not following your rules and policies, and I would consider terming.
lvt77 11:40 AM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I know your policy is to stay home 24 hrs after being sent home for vomiting, right? When they do return, do you ask the parents before letting them stay WHEN the last time he/she vomited was? It's important how you ask the question, make them tell you exactly when the child vomited last, instead of asking them IF they vomited in the last 24 hours. It's very easy to see if someone is lying to you if they have to tell you WHEN instead of a simple yes or no. In this case if they were lying, they'd have to quickly think of what time it was now, and when previous 24 hours would be in order to pull off the lie. Hopefully you'll be able to catch the uncomfortable "Ummmm.... Ohh.... Uhhhh..."
If this is becoming a trend for certain parents, they are voiding the contract by not following your rules and policies, and I would consider terming.
great idea.... I will try this.....very very true....
as for my gag reflux DCb, who knows what to do...

thanks for taking the time to help me out!!
ninosqueridos 11:48 AM 01-18-2011
Sorry they are totally disrespecting your illness policy. They don't need reminders. They know exactly what they are doing. They are waiting to see how long you will put up with it until you terminate.

I agree with lilbutterflie - I always ask the time also of the last tylenol dose, diarrhea, vomiting, etc.
Cat Herder 11:48 AM 01-18-2011
Make it cost them to bring them sick.

My illness policy states:

We follow the CDC guidlines provided, please familiarize yourself with them before enrolling your child as this will be strictly enforced.

Children must be fever/symptom free for 24 hours, without the use of medication, for return to care. Please do not confuse this with 24 hours after onset of symptoms, child is to be well a full 24 hours before return. If unsure please provide doctors excuse.

If a child is sent home sick, during childcare hours, child must be fever/symptom free, without the use of medication, for 48 hours prior to returning to care. No exceptions to this policy.

Siblings: If one child is ill, as described in the CDC exclusion guidelines provided, both children must be excluded from care and will be held to above policy.
lvt77 12:04 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Make it cost them to bring them sick.

My illness policy states:

We follow the CDC guidlines provided, please familiarize yourself with them before enrolling your child as this will be strictly enforced.

Children must be fever/symptom free for 24 hours, without the use of medication, for return to care. Please do not confuse this with 24 hours after onset of symptoms, child is to be well a full 24 hours before return. If unsure please provide doctors excuse.

If a child is sent home sick, during childcare hours, child must be fever/symptom free, without the use of medication, for 48 hours prior to returning to care. No exceptions to this policy.

Siblings: If one child is ill, as described in the CDC exclusion guidelines provided, both children must be excluded from care and will be held to above policy.
I am on CDC website trying to find daycare/center related info. Can you tell me where to look? Seems like I am looking in all the wrong \places..
Blackcat31 12:27 PM 01-18-2011
Another thread had this topic going and someone mentioned that if a child is sent home sick then they cannot return to the child care the next day. So it seems logical to just make sure they are better before they return. I tried this out and I have only had 2 kids go home sick and then remain home the next day and when they both came back they were much better so I think it works.
Cat Herder 12:30 PM 01-18-2011
Google "communicable disease exclusion chart" then your state. I am sorry, I don't have time right this second...
lvt77 12:32 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Another thread had this topic going and someone mentioned that if a child is sent home sick then they cannot return to the child care the next day. So it seems logical to just make sure they are better before they return. I tried this out and I have only had 2 kids go home sick and then remain home the next day and when they both came back they were much better so I think it works.
not sure you read the part that I am having the issue with a DCB who has gag reflux..

nannyde 12:36 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
This tactic will work once maybe (and usually with the Dad) but the standard answer is almost always "they have been fine since they left your house. He was up running around, ate great, slept great, hat a nice poop, and was in a super great mood. He hasn't been sick at ALL".

See both tactics are just words. You can use WORDS to try and get them to come to Jesus and they can use words to deceive. The word that matters is the policy that you have that you MUST require them to follow.
Blackcat31 12:43 PM 01-18-2011
Sorry...I was responding to the original post where there is no mention of gag reflex. Personally, when you take on a child with special needs I think that that type of thinking from other parents comes with the territory...either way I wouldn't take a child who has a vomiting problem because no matter what the reason behind the vomiting...it is still gross! It is like a parent saying their child has diarrhea due to something they ate....too much info...I heard "they have diarrhea" so I do not want them at my house.
So I guess I can't be of any help because I wouldnt take a child who throws up......for ANY reason.
Tags:sick children pickup, sick policy
Reply Up