Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1st Time Getting Termed
lvt77 06:53 AM 02-04-2011
This is the first time I have ever been termed. All had to do with my other post about DCB 4.5 still inb pull-ups.

So My question is, what do I say to the other parents, because I know that they are going to ask where is so and so??

They have two weeks, how do I ride this out without letting it get ugly.
SandeeAR 06:56 AM 02-04-2011
See other thread for my advice......
laundrymom 06:57 AM 02-04-2011
Don't. I just say they are no longer attending. If they ask further I just say,... Due to privacy issues...... I only can say they aren't here but everything is fine.
lil angels 07:45 AM 02-04-2011
Just say as little as possible to the parents you termed and don't tell others anything. say things didn't work out or there are privacy issues you can't say anything. And change the subject.
kendallina 07:47 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Don't. I just say they are no longer attending. If they ask further I just say,... Due to privacy issues...... I only can say they aren't here but everything is fine.
I agree. Don't say anything. Some parents will ask and you just say that they are no longer attending.
littlemonkeys 07:53 AM 02-04-2011
It must be in the air... the 1st time I have ever been termed was last Friday and I've been wondering the same thing, what to tell the other dcp's if they ask. I do agree with the others and keep it as vague as possible and may even tell them due to privacy issues I'm not at liberty to say... but I'm wondering if that would be a red flag to a dcp and make them want to ask more questions? Where do you draw the line?
nannyde 07:57 AM 02-04-2011
Just say "oh family stuff"
lvt77 08:08 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by littlemonkeys:
It must be in the air... the 1st time I have ever been termed was last Friday and I've been wondering the same thing, what to tell the other dcp's if they ask. I do agree with the others and keep it as vague as possible and may even tell them due to privacy issues I'm not at liberty to say... but I'm wondering if that would be a red flag to a dcp and make them want to ask more questions? Where do you draw the line?
great question.. where do we draw the line?
Mrs.Ky 08:37 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
This is the first time I have every been termed. All had to do with my other post about DCB 4.5 still inb pull-ups.

So My question is, what do I say to the other parents, because I know that they are going to ask where is so and so??

They have two weeks, how do I ride this out without letting it get ugly.
Tell them they didnt wanna stay at your daycare because you REFUSED to change a 4 year olds diaper and they where to lazy to potty train him just kidding. Just tell them he is no loger in your daycare and leave it at that.
lvt77 08:40 AM 02-04-2011
Thank you all for the advice. My group is small and so is the town that I live in. The kind where everyone knows your business. I think I will just tell them that they had family issues, which is true and leave it at that..
laundrymom 08:54 AM 02-04-2011
You could say he outgrew your services??? Lol jk
Little People 08:57 AM 02-04-2011
I think that sounds great!
lvt77 09:12 AM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
I think that sounds great!
lmao that cracks me up..

so I now know not to share any information, I guess I am also just worried about the whole 2 weeks getting crazy. Already this morning they were 30min ealry. Something they do all the time show up early pick up late. Should I just let this go since they are leaving and live the next two weeks in misery??
Sunny Day 09:25 AM 02-04-2011
ha ha ha ha! I think this is the CLEARLY what you should say!
kendallina 09:41 AM 02-04-2011
lmao that cracks me up..

so I now know not to share any information, I guess I am also just worried about the whole 2 weeks getting crazy. Already this morning they were 30min ealry. Something they do all the time show up early pick up late. Should I just let this go since they are leaving and live the next two weeks in misery??
I wouldn't let it go, it's going to make you miserable. If they show up early I'd politely tell them that their contracted time is **. You'll be ready for them then. But, then again if they've showed up early before and you've allowed it then they'll think you're just telling them this now for retribution and they might try their own retribution. So, I don't know. Maybe ignore what I just said.
nannyde 11:10 AM 02-04-2011
lmao that cracks me up..

I would let them go today.

If they show up early do NOT allow them in the house. Just either don't answer the door or meet them at the door and tell them you will be ready to receive them in thirty minutes... cya then.

If they pick up late they need to pay immediately a dollar per minute. No admitance back until the fee is paid in full.

If you allow them to stay the two weeks you may find that they really slam you on the last day. You could end up with a deal of them being HOURS late. Better off for them to not even know it's coming.

It's amazing how much they don't want their kid there anymore because you just aren't good enough for them but they feel free the same day to use your services MORE than what they are contracted for.

TERMINATE THEM TODAY.
cillybean83 11:35 AM 02-04-2011
I agree with Nan, just cut them loose now, they're being ridiculous.
lvt77 11:41 AM 02-04-2011
nannyde.... I wish I had your backbone... so much of me wants to term today, however this is what I am doing.. I decided to honor my contract and carry out the two weeks. If at any time they fail to comply with the PHB or contract, I will term on the spot without refund.
I also am giving them another copy of PHB and Contract.

Their reason for term. is rather immature, but they are a very very young family, so it was to be expected. I feel as though if I don't honor my end, then other parents may see that and it could look bad on me...

I can see you shaking your head no at me.... saying when are you going to learn...lol am I right?
nannyde 11:46 AM 02-04-2011
nannyde.... I wish I had your backbone... so much of me wants to term today, however this is what I am doing.. I decided to honor my contract and carry out the two weeks. If at any time they fail to comply with the PHB or contract, I will term on the spot without refund.
I also am giving them another copy of PHB and Contract.

Their reason for term. is rather immature, but they are a very very young family, so it was to be expected. I feel as though if I don't honor my end, then other parents may see that and it could look bad on me...

I can see you shaking your head no at me.... saying when are you going to learn...lol am I right?
Nah

If you need the experience of two weeks of notice hell then you need it to solidify your position. I mean that honestly. You need to go thru it to see that the opinion of the other parents is just words and not worth how you will be treated by these guys.

Be careful on the last day. They could hit you pretty hard with a REALLY late pick up.
lvt77 11:51 AM 02-04-2011
damn it woman...lmao I hate it that you are so right....lol

I do have in my contract that if I have to provide care outside of their contracted hours that I will charge $1.00 per min.
Lucy 11:51 AM 02-04-2011
I find that a quick shoulder shrug, raised eyebrow, and an easy-breezy tone, "He won't be here anymore" gives the parent the hint not to ask questions. I think most civil people would know not to ask. If they are just dumb as a box of rocks and ask "oh, how come?", just say - with that same slight shrug - "I don't know, they just made other arrangements I guess". If that doesn't hit them with a brick, I don't know what will. Just don't sweat it. If you come off with the attitude that it's not that big of a deal, they won't think anything scandalous happened.
nannyde 12:04 PM 02-04-2011
damn it woman...lmao I hate it that you are so right....lol

I do have in my contract that if I have to provide care outside of their contracted hours that I will charge $1.00 per min.
Are you keeping them because you need the two weeks pay?
lvt77 12:12 PM 02-04-2011
no... im just trying to honor my contract i live in a smal town and have a good name so i want to uphold my end.....
nannyde 12:29 PM 02-04-2011
no... im just trying to honor my contract i live in a smal town and have a good name so i want to uphold my end.....
Do you think that the people in the small town don't know the truth about these guys? If you term them they would think it was something YOU did wrong?
lvt77 12:38 PM 02-04-2011
Very good point... I don’t feel that at all, in fact I feel the opposite. I guess I feel like if I were to say ok youre done today, then its playing a game of I am mad at you for leaving my DC.....
ninosqueridos 05:44 PM 02-04-2011
I've only termed twice before - and both were effective immediately (in one instance, I suggested we terminate, parent then gave me 2 wk notice, and I said "nah, immediately, please come pick up your things this evening" ). In both instances, it was too much of a liability to hang onto them for 2 weeks of hell and who knows what they could have done or made up, etc.. I don't regret it at all. I just packed everything up, typed up a quick letter, and had everything ready by the door. Felt really good. Good luck!!
ninosqueridos 05:45 PM 02-04-2011
....oh and when things started to go downhill, the dcp I was talking about purposely dropped off an hour earlier than normal, and picked up at my closing time which was 45 min later than her normal (all within my open hours, but still). Some people.
momatheart 05:11 PM 02-05-2011
I think you are doing things very profressional by up holding your contract and suffering through the 2 weeks,
Small towns everyone will know what that family is like and they know what you are like. And well I think you will be the one looking better in the long run by upholding your end of the deal.

If questioned why they are not here anymore maybe ask them why do you want to know?

If a provider said that to me I would only have a come back of because I am nosey and like gossip, LOL. Actually I would take a hint that it is NOT my business.
QualiTcare 09:10 PM 02-05-2011
[quote=nannyde;79622]Nah

If you need the experience of two weeks of notice hell then you need it to solidify your position. I mean that honestly. You need to go thru it to see that the opinion of the other parents is just words and not worth how you will be treated by these guys.

Be careful on the last day. They could hit you pretty hard with a REALLY late pick up.[/QUOTE]

that's a good reason to have in your contract that you'll call DCS and have the child picked up if they are an hour late - and a good reason to require a deposit that IS refundable so if something like that happens you at least get paid.
Tags:terminate - now, termination
Reply Up