Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Controversy Over Bounced Check
newtodaycare22 11:05 AM 06-09-2011
The other day I posted about not knowing which parents' check bounced ( I had an idea but I did not have the check returned in hand yet). I deposited LAST Wednesday, it did not show bounced until Monday and as of yesterday, I haven't received it in the mail.

I called the bank and they told me the name on the check. (This is almost 2 weeks now I'm waiting for payment). When I confronted the parent, they said their check cleared the bank. I said welllll you need to call and confirm that because the money is NOT in my account.

Ever had to deal with this lovely, frustrating, and awkward situation?? I told them I need payment today, period. We'll see what happens at pick up..
WImom 11:11 AM 06-09-2011
Could your bank send you a copy of the check via email/fax? Could your bank call their bank? I wonder what the hold up at the bank is, that seems like a long time.

Hopefully the parent bring it. I'd not provide care until they are up to date.
wdmmom 11:19 AM 06-09-2011
If you have online banking, you should have an option to print off the check or at least print off the ledger showing when it was deposited and when it was returned.

I would also call the bank and ask when you can expect to receive it.

Payment today for the amount of the check plus a late fee and a bounced check fee. And payment due tomorrow for the upcoming week. AND No more checks. Cash, cashiers check, or money order only!
jojosmommy 11:21 AM 06-09-2011
I would ask the family to bring you cash for the amount of the check. Tell them you will return it IF it is truely a bank mistake. That way they can continue with care, you know you are getting paid regarless. I would call the bank and speak with a business banker and explain that you need to know what is going on TODAY.
daycare 11:22 AM 06-09-2011
I would tell the parent to show proof that it cleared their bank.
Give them until the end of the business day. No proof, no daycare.
nannyde 11:29 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
The other day I posted about not knowing which parents' check bounced ( I had an idea but I did not have the check returned in hand yet). I deposited LAST Wednesday, it did not show bounced until Monday and as of yesterday, I haven't received it in the mail.

I called the bank and they told me the name on the check. (This is almost 2 weeks now I'm waiting for payment). When I confronted the parent, they said their check cleared the bank. I said welllll you need to call and confirm that because the money is NOT in my account.

Ever had to deal with this lovely, frustrating, and awkward situation?? I told them I need payment today, period. We'll see what happens at pick up..
When I confronted the parent, they said their check cleared the bank. I said welllll you need to call and confirm that because the money is NOT in my account.

Yes that's the exact right words to say to you to buy time. If it's a confusion at the bank then they need TIME to get the bank to do the right thing.

Tell them that you are sorry their bank is making a mistake on their end but your payment is based on what your bank says. Your bank says they have bounced a check. They need to pay you today and then the "mistake" at the bank is between them and the bank. Don't get involved in discussions about THEIR bank.... just YOUR bank.

They need late fees added on too. They need bounced check fees and whatever you have in your policies for a daily late fee. They also need to go from now on paying cash only. If their bank is going to make mistakes like this then you can't do business with thier bank.
Blackcat31 12:37 PM 06-09-2011
What Nan said.^^ Also wanted to mention that you may have not gotten the check back in the mail yet because some banks will hold onto the check and try to send it through twice. I had this same thing happen years ago and that was the problem.
Childminder 02:49 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by :
Also wanted to mention that you may have not gotten the check back in the mail yet because some banks will hold onto the check and try to send it through twice. I had this same thing happen years ago and that was the problem.
Yeah this!

Has happened to me before. My bank doesn't "Bounce" the check and attempts to run it through the second time. Not weeks though but a couple days. The fees don't happen till the second nsf and it takes almost a month before I get the check back in the mail. Not everyone lives paycheck to paycheck I guess
Meyou 08:04 AM 06-10-2011
I've actually had this happen to me where the check DID clear in the parents account and bounced in mine. Eventually we found out the check was misplaced during processing and it was eventually found.

I had the parents print and fax a copy of their cleared check directly to my bank and I was credited the money right away within 5 minutes of the fax being recieved.
Tags:bounced check, payment issues - checks
Reply Up