Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terminating Care Question
MommyMuffin 05:47 AM 08-10-2011
In my contract I have that a 2 week written notice. I need to term a client.

I plan on telling them and giving them 2 weeks to find alternate care. What if they find it right away? Then I am going without that income for 2 weeks. Its frustrating because I am doing it to help them and I dont want to suffer because of it.
I have a replacement who starts the last week of August..no sooner.
Any way around losing money?
momofboys 05:51 AM 08-10-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:

I plan on telling them and giving them 2 weeks to find alternate care. What if they find it right away? Then I am going without that income for 2 weeks. Its frustrating because I am doing it to help them and I dont want to suffer because of it.
I would say:

"The last day your child can be accepted into care is ******X. Payment is required through this date per my contract whether or not your child is in attendance."
wdmmom 06:03 AM 08-10-2011
2 weeks is 2 weeks regardless if parent or provider gives notice.

Make sure DCM is aware of that.

Here is what I have worded in my contract:

Termination of care: Parents are required to provide one calendar month notice to cancel services. Notices must be written or typed on paper and given to daycare personnel. (No emails or text messages.)

Any unused accrued vacation, personal time and holiday pay owed to the daycare will be due at the end of the contract. Parents are required to pay a full months payment at the time notice is given.

AfterSchoolMom 06:06 AM 08-10-2011
Mine says about the same thing - "Two weeks PAID notice is required if parent wishes to terminate the childcare agreement. Payment for the notice period is due on the day that notice is given, regardless of child's attendance."
Cat Herder 06:06 AM 08-10-2011

I plan on telling them and giving them 2 weeks to find alternate care. What if they find it right away? Then I am going without that income for 2 weeks. Its frustrating because I am doing it to help them and I don't want to suffer because of it.
For me, If I have to term, losing the money is worth it. I view it as advertising dollars well spent....but I have a twisted sense of humor.

The reason I feel this way is that NOBODY likes rejection and they WILL respond badly to it.

The easier you make it for them to disappear the faster it will be over. Hopefully it will make it less likely they will try to go after your professional reputation in retaliation.

IME, If they feel like you rejected their child or them personally AND took money "unfairly" they are more likely to file a false report, bad mouth you in town, or harass you by email/phone calls/letter/dropping by for months on end.
Sally 12:48 PM 08-10-2011

I typically already have someone in place or have already started them. However, I have a policy but not a contract, and don't operate as a center. Therefore, I always have the extra kid or two for the flakes that drop or I have to drop them. Been doing this for 15 years, so I have it down pretty good right now. I might add, that sometimes you don't want to have it written that you give them a 2 week notice; what if you had a real bad situation?? If I end up with a bad parent, I 86 them pretty quick!
MarinaVanessa 01:19 PM 08-10-2011

Only if you have a 2-week notice paid termination policy or if you require a 2 week non-refundable deposit at sign-up.
Tags:terminated, terminating, termination, termination - reasons
Reply Up