Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Medicine
Unregistered 09:46 AM 03-20-2013
I am a regular user, but logged out for privacy.

I have this family that gives adult medication for cough to a toddler. I was asked to give this medication to child and I refused, Mom was a bit upset about it, I just want to know if it's just me or is it normal for parents to do this?
bunnyslippers 09:47 AM 03-20-2013
I would never give a toddler adult medicine. I think you were right, and I would refuse to care for a child that had been given adult medicine.
Willow 09:54 AM 03-20-2013
It's not normal and can be very dangerous.

A lot of providers don't administer medicine at all. If you choose to make sure you only accept sealed bottles/containers and give it the recommended way, or the exact prescribed way.
Blackcat31 09:55 AM 03-20-2013
I'd ask for a doctor's permission.

But then again I don't administer ANY medications to kids. ever.
mom2many 10:00 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd ask for a doctor's permission.

But then again I don't administer ANY medications to kids. ever.
Same here
MarinaVanessa 10:02 AM 03-20-2013
It's dangerous to give children adult medicine?!!?

It's dangerous enough as it is for a child under 2 years old to take children's medicine let alone give a child medication that is meant for someone much older. They do have children's medicine for coughs why don't they just buy that stuff? I don't give my own kids any type of over the counter medicine if I can help it unless it's under their Dr's order ... I also don't administer medication here at daycare ... so I don't see how giving a child adult medicine can be healthy. How old is this child? Professionals don't recommend any cold/cough medicine for children if they are under 2 years old

Mayo Clinic
Scientific American
FDA
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:02 AM 03-20-2013
I would also require a doctor's note.
Unregistered 11:44 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
It's dangerous to give children adult medicine?!!?

It's dangerous enough as it is for a child under 2 years old to take children's medicine let alone give a child medication that is meant for someone much older. They do have children's medicine for coughs why don't they just buy that stuff? I don't give my own kids any type of over the counter medicine if I can help it unless it's under their Dr's order ... I also don't administer medication here at daycare ... so I don't see how giving a child adult medicine can be healthy. How old is this child? Professionals don't recommend any cold/cough medicine for children if they are under 2 years old

Mayo Clinic
Scientific American
FDA
Child is 2.5 they are giving a smaller dosage than recommended on label to adapt it for child age.
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Child is 2.5 they are giving a smaller dosage than recommended on label to adapt it for child age.
That is so dangerous!

Children are not merely mini-adults who can take smaller doses of adult medication. Children’s bodies are less developed, and an adult medication (which is formulated specifically for an adult body) could not only work very differently on them, but could also cause serious side effects to children’s health. When choosing meds for your toddler, limit yourself to medicine for toddlers found in the pharmacy’s children’s aisle and to the medication your pediatrician prescribes.

http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler-...on-safety.aspx
mema 12:47 PM 03-20-2013
Um, yea, no. A few years ago I had a dcm that gave her's adult medicine and didn't think anything of it. She told me about it at drop off, I refused to take the kid. Who knows what could happen. Don't want that on my watch. If they don't make something for the kids, there is a reason for it. Doesn't mean you should use adult stuff and "adjust" to what you think would be right.
MarinaVanessa 12:49 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I looked online at product details for the following adult cough medicines and this is what the packaging says:

That's all I could find that had packaging instructions on them so I suppose that it also depends on the product. I'm considering that homeopathic and natural cough suppressants might or might not be as toxic to children as other types.
pappyny 12:54 PM 03-20-2013
What medicine is it? When my daughter was about 2-3, I had a doctor recommend delsym for her cough. The doctor told me how much to give my daughter based on her weight.
Could it be a similiar situation?
With that being said, if it is the case and you do give medication to the children in your care, I would require a doctor's note so you are aware of just how much to give.
snbauser 01:24 PM 03-20-2013
NEVER!! Here we can not give any medicine that is not properly labeled for the child's age. I prefer not to give any medication but if a parent even brings benadryl, when they fill out the medicine permission form their instructions must match the instructions on the bottle unless there is a doctor's note to say something else.
Angelsj 05:30 PM 03-20-2013
I have children's tylenol that *I* purchased, and have permission (written) from all the parents to use as appropriate for the child's age. If your child needs something else, they really should be home with you. And I am pretty liberal about sick kids. I will give warm tea to gently soothe a throat or mild cough, but not meds.

Children's metabolism works differently than adult's. No way on earth I would give adult meds to a child, and cough and cold meds shouldn't really be given anyway.
Sprouts 06:19 PM 03-20-2013
They dont allow robitussin or any cough suppresent medications for children any more because it makes the children drowsy, and if given too much can slow or STOP breathing, meaning a child can die .
Rachel 01:51 AM 03-21-2013
We are also not allowed to give any medicine at all while the child is in care.
Reply Up