Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Illness Policy
Francine 01:27 PM 03-26-2013
When compiling your illness policy is there a certain organization etc. that you use for information, like the CDC, local health department etc? I would like to add this to my policy, like " all information obtained from ________"

I have a little guy out with the Norovirus right now, the DR. told them that he could come back to daycare when the vomiting has stopped for 24 hours and he shows a noticeable improvement. The CDC says you are most contagious while you have the symptoms and for 3 days after symptoms are gone. I can't afford to take a week off work if somebody in my house gets this so I don't want him back this week at all. I know they will think I am being harsh but they get sick pay, I don't!
Blackcat31 02:20 PM 03-26-2013
Originally Posted by Francine:
When compiling your illness policy is there a certain organization etc. that you use for information, like the CDC, local health department etc? I would like to add this to my policy, like " all information obtained from ________"

I have a little guy out with the Norovirus right now, the DR. told them that he could come back to daycare when the vomiting has stopped for 24 hours and he shows a noticeable improvement. The CDC says you are most contagious while you have the symptoms and for 3 days after symptoms are gone. I can't afford to take a week off work if somebody in my house gets this so I don't want him back this week at all. I know they will think I am being harsh but they get sick pay, I don't!
Never allow a physician to tell you when a child can be re-admitted to care. That is up to you.

My illness policy says

In certain situations, a medical form must be obtained before your child can be re-admitted into care. These forms require a written diagnosis from the child's physician and must state the following information:
•the diagnosis
•the treatment
•length of recommended exclusion

Re-admission to child care will be at MY discretion ONLY. Please do not assume the doctor can give permission for re-admittance.

I don't use licensing or the CDC to back my policy. I simply have the policy and parents agree to it.

I require a doctor's note to tell me the diagnosis but NOT to tell me that I should be caring for the child.

HTH
MarinaVanessa 02:40 PM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Never allow a physician to tell you when a child can be re-admitted to care. That is up to you.

My illness policy says

In certain situations, a medical form must be obtained before your child can be re-admitted into care. These forms require a written diagnosis from the child's physician and must state the following information:
•the diagnosis
•the treatment
•length of recommended exclusion

Re-admission to child care will be at MY discretion ONLY. Please do not assume the doctor can give permission for re-admittance.

I don't use licensing or the CDC to back my policy. I simply have the policy and parents agree to it.

I require a doctor's note to tell me the diagnosis but NOT to tell me that I should be caring for the child.

HTH
Mine is super long and has a very similar line like what BC has is bolded (thanks again BC). I never readmit only because a DR says so. It's up to me, but I take all information into consideration when I make my decision.
Francine 04:46 AM 03-28-2013
Thank you, I will be adding that line.
Tags:illness policy, norovirus
Reply Up