Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Call for Pick Up?
Unregistered 09:33 AM 12-11-2018
In my rules about illness I have stated that I exclude for excessive runny nose. Today I have a 12 month old that is sneezing and snotting everywhere. Of coarse I did not know of this at drop off and I am annoyed. Would you call for pick up? Or do I just let her inconsiderate parents do things like this?
LittleExplorers 09:36 AM 12-11-2018
I guess it depends on how you define excessive. If it fits your definition, exclude.

I know you didn't ask this, but if I sent home for colds with no fever and the kids who were able to participate in the day, I would not have kids left.
Josiegirl 09:43 AM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
I guess it depends on how you define excessive. If it fits your definition, exclude.

I know you didn't ask this, but if I sent home for colds with no fever and the kids who were able to participate in the day, I would not have kids left.
Same answer here. I've had such gross green snot noses come through here but the dck is fine otherwise. I feel certain kids are prone to them for some reason. Bugs me because they're so gross and kids, well they're kids and aren't always the greatest at blowing their noses and washing hands. I've had some parents even offer to take their kid back home so they didn't infect my home with snot trails, which I thought was really considerate of them. But most parents would be put out if their child got sent home for snotty noses. If it's in your policy and the dck's is that bad, then make the call and remind them of your policy.
Blackcat31 09:47 AM 12-11-2018
I send kids home with colds/runny noses IF:

~ the care their symptoms require takes away from my abilities to continue providing the same level of care to the other kids AND if the cold symptoms have not gotten better after 5 days.

@OP I probably wouldn't send the child home today unless their symptoms and/or behavior gets worse but I would tell the parent at pick up tonight that perhaps a day of rest would help as the constant runny nose is difficult to deal with at that age.
Unregistered 10:37 AM 12-11-2018
I sent a text to mom telling her what is going on (like she didn't already know). I then simply reminded her about excessive runny noses and how it is in my rules. I like your idea Black cat. I will tell her to keep her home tomorrow. I took the babies temp and it is right on the border. I just hate when they are so young and snot pours out and they slime everything.
lovemykidstoo 11:18 AM 12-11-2018
I only excluded once in 18 years. The toddler at that time, the nasal discharge, was insane. I honestly wiped, turned around to throw the tissue away and it was running down his face again. It was all day. The typical runny nose I don't because most of my kids at least once in the winter wouldn't be here for 3 weeks.

How did mom react?
littlefriends 11:28 AM 12-11-2018
I don’t unless there’s a fever along with it. Some kids are just snottier than others. If I have one that’s getting it on my furniture or the toys more than what I’d consider acceptable I keep them in my gated area so they only have access to stuff that’s easily wipeable and not spreading it all over everywhere. Nothing nastier than realizing you just stuck your hand in a blob of green snot
Unregistered 11:47 AM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I only excluded once in 18 years. The toddler at that time, the nasal discharge, was insane. I honestly wiped, turned around to throw the tissue away and it was running down his face again. It was all day. The typical runny nose I don't because most of my kids at least once in the winter wouldn't be here for 3 weeks.

How did mom react?
Mom was cool with what I texted. Said she would come get her kiddo if I wanted. At this point I had already had the baby going for her nap. She comes at 4 anyways. But I will make her stay home tomorrow. I almost never exclude, but have on occasion. However, if the parent flips over it and wants a germ infested bring their kid whenever deal they can pack up and go to a daycare center. This is my home. I don't want boogers slimed all over.
Ariana 06:41 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:

How did mom react?
This is excessive for sure! Constant green boogers I also exclude for. A couple nose wipes are fine with more frequency outside but wiping every 15 minutes is too much and putting other kids at risk.
Blackcat31 06:53 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Mom was cool with what I texted. Said she would come get her kiddo if I wanted. At this point I had already had the baby going for her nap. She comes at 4 anyways. But I will make her stay home tomorrow. I almost never exclude, but have on occasion. However, if the parent flips over it and wants a germ infested bring their kid whenever deal they can pack up and go to a daycare center. This is my home. I don't want boogers slimed all over.
sometimes the cure really is a day of rest with their mama...

Sometimes you have to point out the obvious ... hopefully mom takes advantage of the ability to snuggle and returns a healthier kid on Thursday.
Tags:exclusion policy, illness policy
Reply Up