Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Scheduling Outside Play Between 10Am-4PM in Houston SUN
Unregistered 02:46 AM 06-16-2008
Hi All
Can you please give me input as to how I can prevent my 2 yr old fom being taken out for outside play time in Houston summer during peak hours ( 10 Am -4Pm). I have tried requesting the school, they tell me they are required by state law.
Thanks
pingaa3 10:41 AM 06-16-2008
they are required to take them outdoors for a certain amount of time 10-30 minutes. HOWEVER, they are not required to take them outdoors at a specific time!! The smart thing to do in the summer months is start the kids outdoors and have them inside before 10am when the worst of the heat starts.

Perhaps suggest an earlier time for outside play. We take our kids out from 8am until 9:30 and then we have snack and stay indoors until after 4 pm weather permitting.
mac60 03:36 PM 06-16-2008
I could understand going out in the mornings a while, but in the afternoons after lunch, arn't they napping?

You may have to get a doctors slip. Heck, living here in nw Ohio we rarely go out in the afternoons after 1 when it is hot...like 90 +. I am sure there are state regs they have to follow. This is why......I hate it when the gov't has to stick their nose into all aspects of a business. How would "they" like to go out and play in 90 degree sunny weather? So how long do they have to go out for? I think that would make a big difference too.
pingaa3 10:30 AM 06-23-2008
The State of California's Social Service Office called us Friday, and all other licensed providers to inform us:

NOT TO TAKE KIDS OUT IN THE AFTERNOON.

ONLY TAKE THEM OUT BEFORE 10am

TO have us review our emergency disaster plans.

TO have us make sure the kids drink lots of water.

To have us make sure we have enough car seats to evacuate if necessary.

To make sure to look for signs of heat exhaustion and heat stroke in kids during the day.

Please talk to the provder again. It isn't safe to take kids outside in the miserable heat. Why can't they go out in the early a.m. before 10?
jacky 03:31 AM 06-26-2008
Hi,
I run a daycare business in Australia & i realise you guys run things differently. But im wondering if USA has a nationwide "sunsmart" policy as we do in schools, daycare etc.

We are bound by policies to always provide 30+ sunscreen,hats, water bottles, shaded areas etc for the months between end Oct to end April, or on any other day inbetween thats over 30 C.We also are discouraged from taking kids out "in the heat of the day" between 10 am & 2-3pm. We must ensure that if there are no trees etc in outside play areas, there are sail shades or similar for safe play underneath.

Most of our schools now have a "no hat no play" policy in school yards.If kids arent wearing hats, they can only play in shaded areas.
Unregistered 07:04 AM 07-17-2008
I am having trouble with my daycare's outdoor play policy as well. We live in Pennsylvania, it's horribly hot and humid this time of year. My 6 month old is flushed, irritated and really warm everyday that we pick him up during outside play. I don't want him outside as he clearly doesn't tolerate this heat well, but the argue with me about it.

I just did some research on what the laws are. It does say that temparatures above 90 degrees are to hot. But I want to know why they force it when my son is clearly upset and not enjoying himself?

It leaves me feeling as though I can't trust them to have his best interest at heart. I've researched other daycares in our area and most don't take the babies out until they are 12 months old!!!

I'm really upset about it....
pingaa3 05:32 PM 07-17-2008
I recommend finding other childcare.

see my post above, I'm sure your state has rules requiring heat etc.
Unregistered 06:57 PM 07-22-2008
Look up the law yourself-then decide if he/she needs a new school? In MN it is required to go outside for a period of time-but not a "certain" time-I go with the weather-HELLO? Are these people out of their minds to take kids out in HEAT-and another thread was about taking them out in the cold-do ppl not care about little ppl? Hmmmmm-doesn't sound like it to me-that's why we have GYM TIME---for those icky days outside-so if it rains-are they required to take them out in that as well? What about thunderstorms? Tornados? Is it required-sounds stupid doesn't it-well taking them out in heat sounds stupid to me too-
Unregistered 07:39 PM 07-22-2008
THIS IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm adding this to my policies-YOU ROCK
Unregistered 07:47 PM 07-22-2008
I sent this to my county licensoring asking how we can push this into effect for MN- :-) this is the BEST IDEA --- I have been telling the parents on field trip days these kids need hats-but only 1-2 out of 10 listen-it's sad :-( I'm going to post this NO HATE NO PLAY idea-starting TOMORROW--thanksssssssssssssss this is great!
Michael 12:11 PM 02-26-2009
We just posted some weather guidelines that may be of help to you.
https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
Former Teacher 05:55 AM 03-31-2009
I worked in a child care center for almost 20 years. Yes you are required to have outside time with the children. There was one time when our licencing rep. almost wrote me up because I didn't take the children outside. This is summer, 100 degree temp. No there isnt a set time but when its 90s at 8:00 in the morning and the children are complaining because its to hot (humid), I didn't feel like dealing with heat stroke on the children. The rep came back a week later and asked me again if I took the children out and I lied and told her yes and they were miserable every moment and wanted to come in. The rep said she didnt care as long as they had at least 30-45 mins in the am and pm.

Oh the flip side, you can't have the whole class stay inside because ONE childs parents want their child to stay in. Most centers dont have the staffing to allow that. That would be in case of of an illness. "oh please keep Johnny in today because he has a small cough" Well I say if they are to sick to be outside they are to sick to be in daycare!

Anyway, while I do see your point on the weather, its really up to each center.
jenbl 01:35 PM 05-03-2009
My daycare told me I had to bring them a doctors note for them to place sunscreen on my 18 month old child! they said it was a liscensing requirement. I have done a little research and cannot find a definate answer. Anyone have the answer??? we are in Tx
Former Teacher 06:07 AM 05-04-2009
Originally Posted by jenbl:
My daycare told me I had to bring them a doctors note for them to place sunscreen on my 18 month old child! they said it was a liscensing requirement. I have done a little research and cannot find a definate answer. Anyone have the answer??? we are in Tx
From what I remember yes you do need to have a written permission for the center to apply sunscreen or any other kind of ointment. Usually it was from the parent. At first years ago it was considered implied consent as long as the parent provided the product. Then it was changed to written permission from the parent. The standard could have changed again requiring a doctors note, however I don't know. Worst case, is that you just call up the doctor and have him fax a permission slip.
GretasLittleFriends 07:06 AM 05-04-2009
I'm not sure about Texas, but in Minnesota, I'm required to have a signed form from the parents (but not the doctor) permitting me to administer sunscreen and/or insect repellent and/or diapering ointment. I leave it up to the parents if they want to use a specific brand (of sunscreen, bug repellent or diaper ointment) or if they want me to use what I have on hand. I do warn parents it may vary depending on what's on sale.
Unregistered 03:27 AM 05-19-2009
I do not take infants outside ever. I am a home daycare, and take my toddlers outside while the infants are napping. I can sit by the back door and watch the toddlers at play (fenced in yard) and also be able to hear for the infants. They are never more than 20 feet from me. Actually closer than if I went to go pee. It is too much hassle to take infants out.
Former Teacher 04:40 PM 05-19-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I do not take infants outside ever. I am a home daycare, and take my toddlers outside while the infants are napping. I can sit by the back door and watch the toddlers at play (fenced in yard) and also be able to hear for the infants. They are never more than 20 feet from me. Actually closer than if I went to go pee. It is too much hassle to take infants out.

to become registered so you have to hide behind the ID of being unregistered. First of all, regardless of age or how much of a hassle it is to YOU, you are REQUIRED to take ALL children outside, weather permitting. You should be ashamed when you leave the infants regardless if they are napping. Ever hear of SIDS? A lot can happen in span of seconds. It is providers like you that give the good ones a bad name. Then again your grammar alone proves you are probably just as immature as the children you watch.
mac60 05:21 AM 05-20-2009
Originally Posted by former teacher:
to become registered so you have to hide behind the id of being unregistered. First of all, regardless of age or how much of a hassle it is to you, you are required to take all children outside, weather permitting. You should be ashamed when you leave the infants regardless if they are napping. Ever hear of sids? A lot can happen in span of seconds. It is providers like you that give the good ones a bad name. Then again your grammar alone proves you are probably just as immature as the children you watch.
i am not hiding behind anything...i just don't sign on every time i come here.

You must be an unhappy disgruntled person, and you are quite rude too. As for my grammar, can you not find anything else to crap about, there is nothing wrong with it.

As far as taking infants outside.....my own children were in a center as infants, and ther were never...i repeat never taken outside as an infant. Taking an infant outside is not a law in my state.

I am not ashamed of anything i do, i run an excellent home daycare and my familes would all tell you that, and my excellent track record and refence record reflects that. Not that it is any of your business.

The administration here should do something about people like you who leave rude comments about others, especially when they don't know you. It is people like you that ruin these type of forums and cause problems. You talk about me as if you were my best friend, and you don't even know me.

Just because i come on here showing "unregistered" at times, does not mean i am hiding anything. Maybe administration should make it so everyone has to sign on as registered, then you would have to find something else to witch about. You are not worth my time of day.
Tags:hot weather, houston, outside play, outside play weather, texas
Reply Up