Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Providing Part Time Daycare...
Angelwings36 11:22 AM 09-08-2011
Do any of you only work 2-4 days per week? Like you are only open on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and only take on part time children to fill those days? If so, how is it working out for you? I am thinking in the next year or two I may only provide Monday - Friday before and after school and only take children during the days on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Any thought on that?

Thanks.
Zoe 11:28 AM 09-08-2011
I didn't choose this, but for the last year I've only been taking care of one family besides my own 3 days a week. I loved it! The girls got along so well with my own little ones and then we had 2 days a week where we could go have playdates with friends or do special things. If given a choice, I'd do it that way, but I know that's difficult when trying to have a certain income.
Michael 01:01 PM 09-08-2011
More Part Time Care threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...part+time+care
bice99 02:15 PM 09-08-2011
I'm closed on Wednesdays. I use that day to help out in both of my daughters' rooms at school. It's also a day that their dr (who works PT) is at the office so that makes life easier. I love my day off and tell prospective parents I'm a better mommy and childcare provider because of it.
morgan24 02:23 PM 09-08-2011
I just started a group of part timers. I have 3 on Mondays, 3 on Tuesday, 2 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday and Fridays off. This is my first week with this schedule and I think that I'm going to like it.
Crazy8 06:25 PM 09-08-2011
I've had it a few years during the summers because the teachers kids (who are always full time) don't come. I'd love to do that year round if I could work it out but I'm not in a position right now where I can turn away the full timers.
If you have the choice of clients and can work it out I would absolutely do it!!!
blessedmess8 07:05 PM 09-08-2011
I think there is a need to people who will accept part timers. I get a lot of calls from people needing part time arrangements!
rbmom 07:09 PM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I just started a group of part timers. I have 3 on Mondays, 3 on Tuesday, 2 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday and Fridays off. This is my first week with this schedule and I think that I'm going to like it.
Oh, Fridays off would be heaven!!
ritah 08:07 PM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by blessedmess8:
I think there is a need to people who will accept part timers. I get a lot of calls from people needing part time arrangements!
I'm finding this to be the case also. I've gotten many more inquiries about part-time care than full-time and have had people comment to me how hard it is to find care on a part-time basis.
e.j. 08:22 PM 09-08-2011
I work Monday thru Thursday; closed on Friday. I usually have one or two kids who are here all 4 days for a full day but most of my kids are part time --1, 2 or 3 days a week. Some for full days, other for 1/2 days. My husband is always shaking his head saying, "I can't believe you've been able to make this work!" but it has for 16 years. Once in a while, things will get slow and I'll have more openings than I'm comfortable with but then it picks right up again. I really haven't had much trouble staying full.
ammama 09:41 PM 09-08-2011
I also am only open Monday to Thursday, and have been this way for the last 1.5 years. Before that I worked 5 days a week, and I felt so stretched! I have respect for all of you who manage 5 days a week.

I have 1 FT (I consider 4 days FT) kid, and the rest are all PTers. I have a waitlist of 10 or so families all waiting to get in PT because i'm the only dayhome in the neighbourhood who offers PT care! I have no problems filling PT spots, and I prefer it, as I make more money this way (my FT rate is only $43/day, whereas my FT rate is $50/day). I love having Fridays off with my family. I tell all my prospective families that it makes me a better, more relaxed caregiver.
Crazy8 06:56 AM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by ritah:
I'm finding this to be the case also. I've gotten many more inquiries about part-time care than full-time and have had people comment to me how hard it is to find care on a part-time basis.
I have always found part time to be more in demand than full time. Even for parents who work full time, they try to find alternatives to putting child in daycare for 5 days. I always end up with 1-2 full timers and the rest part time though so no day off for me - I'd like to cut down to 4 days a week sometime though!
blessedmess8 07:23 AM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I work Monday thru Thursday; closed on Friday. I usually have one or two kids who are here all 4 days for a full day but most of my kids are part time --1, 2 or 3 days a week. Some for full days, other for 1/2 days. My husband is always shaking his head saying, "I can't believe you've been able to make this work!" but it has for 16 years. Once in a while, things will get slow and I'll have more openings than I'm comfortable with but then it picks right up again. I really haven't had much trouble staying full.
Wow! I have some FT kids I can't let go yet, but I might try this as they age out! Fridays off would be awesome to take care of personal business, be at the kids' school, work on the house, etc! Good to know it is doable!!
Tags:part time care
Reply Up