Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If Parent Doesn't Prepay For Upcoming Week, At What Point Do You Figure They Are Leav
trix23 12:14 PM 05-05-2017
New client of a 1 year old (been here 2 weeks) hasn't yet paid the bill for next week's care. Was due at noon and accrues $10/day until paid.

She pays the median price between my FT and PT rates to have a flex care arrangement. (3-5 days on alternating weeks), and was asking me how much it would be for 2 days next week since her mom can watch the kid. I told her that she pays the same amount each week regardless of how often her kid comes but that for next week, she could bring the kid for 3-4 days since she's paying for it anyway.

I've had SO many prospective clients that only want to pay for days used on low need weeks and pay the cheaper daily rate on weeks they need more care. It clearly states in my Handbook that it doesn't work that way. Am I saying it wrong? "Tuition is due every week regardless of your child's attendance."

At what point should I assume that she's not coming back? Monday morning? I have 3 interviews scheduled for Saturday and 2 want immediate care if I agree to it.
Reply
midaycare 12:17 PM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
New client of a 1 year old (been here 2 weeks) hasn't yet paid the bill for next week's care. Was due at noon and accrues $10/day until paid.

She pays the median price between my FT and PT rates to have a flex care arrangement. (3-5 days on alternating weeks), and was asking me how much it would be for 2 days next week since her mom can watch the kid. I told her that she pays the same amount each week regardless of how often her kid comes but that for next week, she could bring the kid for 3-4 days since she's paying for it anyway.

I've had SO many prospective clients that only want to pay for days used on low need weeks and pay the cheaper daily rate on weeks they need more care. It clearly states in my Handbook that it doesn't work that way. Am I saying it wrong? "Tuition is due every week regardless of your child's attendance."

At what point should I assume that she's not coming back? Monday morning? I have 3 interviews scheduled for Saturday and 2 want immediate care if I agree to it.
I'd interview as if it were open. Maybe you will find another family is a much better fit who won't argue policies.
Reply
mommyneedsadayoff 12:18 PM 05-05-2017
I wouldnt assume. I would just ask. "Hey Dcm! Payment is due today, so i wanted to see if you were going to drop it off before late fees start to accrue." Either she will say she is gonna bring it or you will get no answer, which is your answer
Reply
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
New client of a 1 year old (been here 2 weeks) hasn't yet paid the bill for next week's care. Was due at noon and accrues $10/day until paid.

She pays the median price between my FT and PT rates to have a flex care arrangement. (3-5 days on alternating weeks), and was asking me how much it would be for 2 days next week since her mom can watch the kid. I told her that she pays the same amount each week regardless of how often her kid comes but that for next week, she could bring the kid for 3-4 days since she's paying for it anyway.

I've had SO many prospective clients that only want to pay for days used on low need weeks and pay the cheaper daily rate on weeks they need more care. It clearly states in my Handbook that it doesn't work that way. Am I saying it wrong? "Tuition is due every week regardless of your child's attendance."

At what point should I assume that she's not coming back? Monday morning? I have 3 interviews scheduled for Saturday and 2 want immediate care if I agree to it.
I also interview when full. Never know when I need to fill a space on short notice.

As for when to say the family is termed for non-payment....my handbook says after 3 days of no contact, termination automatically occurs. So I continue to add late fees as the balance accrues. No services until everything is paid in full. If I have heard nothing from the family by the 3rd day (Wednesday) they are automatically terminated.

As far as how to say tuition is due even during absences my contract says:
"Rates are based on enrollment and due each week regardless of closures, the child's attendance or time used. "
Reply
Blackcat31 12:35 PM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I wouldnt assume. I would just ask. "Hey Dcm! Payment is due today, so i wanted to see if you were going to drop it off before late fees start to accrue." Either she will say she is gonna bring it or you will get no answer, which is your answer
I refuse to chase my paycheck.

They either pay on the due date, pay after due date WITH late fees and suspension of services until paid in full or they get termed (see above post).

I make sure my late fee is big enough that I feel comfortable not chasing the money.
Reply
finsup 12:45 PM 05-05-2017
I'd send her a text and ask this one time. Then I would update my contract add a higher late fee, and like BC has, an amount of days after no communication equals done (which I don't have either, but will now! Great idea!)
And definitely still do the interviews. If a parent is questioning policies, and not bringing payment only two weeks in, I'd be very likely to replace them.
Reply
sahm1225 12:59 PM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
New client of a 1 year old (been here 2 weeks) hasn't yet paid the bill for next week's care. Was due at noon and accrues $10/day until paid.

She pays the median price between my FT and PT rates to have a flex care arrangement. (3-5 days on alternating weeks), and was asking me how much it would be for 2 days next week since her mom can watch the kid. I told her that she pays the same amount each week regardless of how often her kid comes but that for next week, she could bring the kid for 3-4 days since she's paying for it anyway.

I've had SO many prospective clients that only want to pay for days used on low need weeks and pay the cheaper daily rate on weeks they need more care. It clearly states in my Handbook that it doesn't work that way. Am I saying it wrong? "Tuition is due every week regardless of your child's attendance."

At what point should I assume that she's not coming back? Monday morning? I have 3 interviews scheduled for Saturday and 2 want immediate care if I agree to it.
Can you raise your daily rate to be higher than your full time rate? That way they would prefer to just pay full time rates instead of paying daily.
I would also interview as if they're not coming back. They had time to notify you and chose not to.
Reply
mommyneedsadayoff 01:29 PM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I refuse to chase my paycheck.

They either pay on the due date, pay after due date WITH late fees and suspension of services until paid in full or they get termed (see above post).

I make sure my late fee is big enough that I feel comfortable not chasing the money.
I understand that and agree that you should not have to chase your paycheck. I will give a reminder to new parents, but after that, I am less forgiving. This situation just seemed a bit odd to me. They are only two weeks in and part time to boot, so not having that daily interaction makes me think mom just forgot. (not that it is ok to forget, but we are human and stuff happens ) Unless I am missing something and the OP just has that feeling that she is not coming back. The due date was today at 12 and she posted her question an hour later, so maybe she saw it coming after the convo about paying the same whether they come or not? I don't know, but I guess I wouldn't assume she is not coming anymore because she is an hour late to pay. If other factors brought her to that assumption, then I would do as you instructed and interview and fill the spot. If it has been going well though, I would just ask her what the deal is before assuming she is quitting. Bottom line, though, if they don't pay, they lose any right to the services they had secured and their spot should be filled with someone else.
Reply
Blackcat31 01:55 PM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I understand that and agree that you should not have to chase your paycheck. I will give a reminder to new parents, but after that, I am less forgiving. This situation just seemed a bit odd to me. They are only two weeks in and part time to boot, so not having that daily interaction makes me think mom just forgot. (not that it is ok to forget, but we are human and stuff happens ) Unless I am missing something and the OP just has that feeling that she is not coming back. The due date was today at 12 and she posted her question an hour later, so maybe she saw it coming after the convo about paying the same whether they come or not? I don't know, but I guess I wouldn't assume she is not coming anymore because she is an hour late to pay. If other factors brought her to that assumption, then I would do as you instructed and interview and fill the spot. If it has been going well though, I would just ask her what the deal is before assuming she is quitting. Bottom line, though, if they don't pay, they lose any right to the services they had secured and their spot should be filled with someone else.
I've gotten so jaded about the money side of this business that it's hard to remember those things (the bolded things you mentioned) sometimes.
Reply
daycarediva 02:30 PM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I wouldnt assume. I would just ask. "Hey Dcm! Payment is due today, so i wanted to see if you were going to drop it off before late fees start to accrue." Either she will say she is gonna bring it or you will get no answer, which is your answer
Yup. New parents get reminders. I don't continue to play the game though, I don't chase money so kids get turned away at the door on Monday if it happens again.

Also- make sure you are going over policies at interview, that way you KNOW that they KNOW.

Asking for special two weeks in, not a good sign!
Reply
trix23 02:49 PM 05-05-2017
I reminded her Thursday morning and again through a text at 11am this morning. Her kid comes MWR so she didn't come today. I currently don't have anything in my hand book about a parent not paying and termination and stuff because I never even thought that that would be a possibility. Generally if people need child care they need it so it's not like an extra service like house cleaning will be pretty obvious that you might skip it here and there. Guess I need to up my policy handbook to more than 40 pages, LOL. I sent her a new invoice through Square app little bit ago with a $10 late fee assessed.

Black Cat, what's your late fee?
Reply
trix23 03:26 PM 05-05-2017
Have someone who's a prospective client right now but interview with me about month-and-a-half ago that told me Sunday night and this past week that she wanted her son to start for Tuesday. I told her it was too late of notice and then we could start Wednesday but that you would still have to pay the full weekly rate if she did that. Then she asked if I would give her one day for the first week for $45 for the drop-in rate and then continue her 1:15 for the next week period I plan and flatly said that no
Reply
trix23 06:35 AM 05-07-2017
What about if they are in contact but payment still not received?
Reply
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 05-08-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:

Black Cat, what's your late fee?
My late fee is $25 PER calendar day PER CHILD.
So if a parent does not pay by Friday at 5PM they would automatically owe an additional $75 on Monday.
NO services until the fees are paid IN FULL.

The second late payment the late fee is doubled.

The third late payment is immediate termination.

Originally Posted by trix23:
What about if they are in contact but payment still not received?
I would continue charging the late fee.
After 10 days of non-payment (even if I am in communication with parent) equates to termination.

If they can't get their ducks in a row after 10 days....I'm out. Ain't nobody got time for that.



~Curious though...if you are in communication with the parent what are they saying about why they aren't or haven't paid?
Reply
trix23 12:27 PM 05-08-2017
Said they went straight from work to a funeral and etc.

I give the benefit of the doubt a few times but they still pay late fees. I'm going to update my policies on that. I like yours.
Reply
Blackcat31 12:48 PM 05-08-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
Said they went straight from work to a funeral and etc.

I give the benefit of the doubt a few times but they still pay late fees. I'm going to update my policies on that. I like yours.
My late fees are high because I really don't want the money.
I just want them to be on time.
Graduated (increased) fees with each occurrence allows a parent an "oops" (we've all been there) but still lets them know I am serious.
Reply
AmyKidsCo 02:31 PM 05-08-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My late fee is $25 PER calendar day PER CHILD.
So if a parent does not pay by Friday at 5PM they would automatically owe an additional $75 on Monday.
NO services until the fees are paid IN FULL.
Would you accept a payment Saturday, if they dropped it off? Just curious because I've had parents leave an envelope in my door... But you're not at the child care home on weekends, are you?
Reply
trix23 03:09 PM 05-08-2017
I accept payment on weekends. Unless that was aimed at Black Cat, lol.
Reply
Blackcat31 03:12 PM 05-08-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Would you accept a payment Saturday, if they dropped it off? Just curious because I've had parents leave an envelope in my door... But you're not at the child care home on weekends, are you?
Nope.

Business is conducted during business hours only.
Another method of not allowing work to bleed into my home life.

All parents now pay via bank transfer and have to initiate the transfer to post to my account BY 5PM.

If it doesn't post until after 5PM it's not available for me to access until the following business day so that process eliminates me having to explain to parents why I won't accept payment on a Saturday but even before everyone started paying via bank transfers I still wouldn't accept payment on a weekend.

Yes, I've had tons of parents ask.
Even had one ask if she could go directly to my bank and deposit in my account.
Reply
trix23 08:17 PM 05-13-2017
So what have you said if they were upset about that policy?

Did you ever gave anyone quit because of it?
Reply
LysesKids 05:49 AM 05-14-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
So what have you said if they were upset about that policy?

Did you ever gave anyone quit because of it?
I don't know about BC, but I agree and have the same policy she does - no payments on weekends; also no schedule changes, texts or phone calls unless it's to let me know your child is ill and won't be there Monday morning.... and yes I have had one family quit no notice over it, but it was a family that was having other issues as well

BTW, I get paid in advance by the Month (First of each month or the Friday before if the 1st is on a weekend). No pay, no stay unless you pay the daily drop-in rate from then on ... my contract & policies clearly state that you automatically become a drop-in client if payment is not made on time and I look to fill your child's spot with another client. I don't do late fees and will not chase my $$.
Reply
Jupadia 07:47 AM 05-14-2017
I hAve excepted payment on the weekend. Usally if it works for me. And only on a occasional basis. For example child was sick on the Friday (payment due for next week). Parents offered to drop it off but (had no other kids that day so I took my kids out) they then paid on the weekend at my son's birthday party instead. (Did not charge parents late fee)

I have not yet had any one leave cause I made them drop off payment on time. Which I have enforced as well. I'm lucky my parents seem to understand that I pay bills and such as they do znd have the respect to pay on time. (Or just want to avoid late fees 25 per day).

I did find back when I did center work that parents who had to be reminded to pay or payed late where the ones to cause other issues as well.
Reply
Tags:payment collection
Reply Up