Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Only Drop In Care?
DaisyMamma 02:02 PM 11-01-2013
Anyone do this?

I'm totally fried.
I have income coming in from another source now too.
I'm either going to shut down at the end of the school year or switch to drop in only. That way if I don't feel like working one day, I don't have to. Any experience with this?
Laurel 02:29 PM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Anyone do this?

I'm totally fried.
I'm either going to shut down at the end of the school year or switch to drop in only. That way if I don't feel like working one day, I don't have to. Any experience with this?
No but I was thinking about possibly doing part time only instead of retiring completely. Maybe M, W and F. Drop in is not a bad idea either.
DaisyMamma 02:41 PM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
No but I was thinking about possibly doing part time only instead of retiring completely. Maybe M, W and F. Drop in is not a bad idea either.
That's what I currently do. M W F
It is nice.
Laurel 02:52 PM 11-01-2013
That's what I currently do. M W F
It is nice.
I think it would be a nice niche as I think there is a need for it. Right now I take part time with a 3 day minimum but I also take full time.
TwinKristi 03:42 PM 11-01-2013
I've thought about doing more advertising for drop-in care. I don't typically care for it, but right now it's so slow I don't know what else to do!
daycare 03:48 PM 11-01-2013
as with everything there are pros and cons with drop in care.

I did it when I first started to get my business off the ground.

it's hard to forecast spending. It's hard to know when you will or won't be working sometimes and there is really no consistency with the kids so the behavior tends to be worse.

It works for some people, it didn't work for me......
Maria2013 05:12 PM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
as with everything there are pros and cons with drop in care.

I did it when I first started to get my business off the ground.

it's hard to forecast spending. It's hard to know when you will or won't be working sometimes and there is really no consistency with the kids so the behavior tends to be worse.

It works for some people, it didn't work for me......
you're right, I used to do a lot of drop in care, then I realized they are lot more work than kids that come 3-5 days, know the rules, are well adjusted and bond with one another
Lil'DinoEggs 01:27 PM 11-02-2013
Anyone do this?

I'm totally fried.

I have accidentally become a drop in care (sans one full time infant). One full-timer switched to afterschool care, so I used drop in for her slot. Then the other full time stopped because Mom works nights now. Then I got phone calls to be a back up provider a couple of times, this person just needs someone one day a week, then I started getting calls daily for drop in. I am on average 75% full for November yet make the same money with four full times. It is not ideal because I have different personalities but with drop ins, I don't have to document their daily activities, parents are not looking for a lot so I can give a lot of attention to the full time baby and my own children. Actually, since baby is bf, there a lot of days I just have to feed my own children lunch.
LK5kids 03:13 AM 11-04-2013
I have seen ads on Craigslist for drop-in care. I have considered part-time MTW. I am closing down. This is my last week, but I may offer part-time in another location than I am now.
craftymissbeth 04:21 AM 11-04-2013
Does anyone who does drop in care have an issue with people trying to bring their sick kids when their full time daycare provider excludes them? I was thinking about doing drop in but along with the behavior problems this worried me also.
Laurel 11:15 AM 11-04-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Does anyone who does drop in care have an issue with people trying to bring their sick kids when their full time daycare provider excludes them? I was thinking about doing drop in but along with the behavior problems this worried me also.
That occured to me too. I would have to warn drop in parents ahead of time and tell them that if they drop them off sick then I will no longer do drop in care for them. After all, a drop in here and there wouldn't be that big a loss of income.

Laurel
Tags:drop in care
Reply Up