Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 AM
littlemonkeys's Avatar
littlemonkeys littlemonkeys is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 199
Default Question Regarding Part Time Care

I'm apologizing to you all ahead of time... I'm running on little sleep today and I feel like my brain is fried.

When you take on a part time child in your daycare do you ever tell the dcp's that if you are able to fill their space with a full time child that you will give notice?

I know that I've heard some people in here say that they only do part time care because they get paid more... but for me it's just the opposite. I lose money with part timers even though I charge them more per day. I have a hard time filling the other 2-3 days with other part timer dck's.


What do you do?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 AM
angelpayne24's Avatar
angelpayne24 angelpayne24 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 45
Default

Here is what my handbook/contract states:

Part Time Care IS NOT considered a Permanent spot. Part Time Care is handled on a day by day basis. All Part Time Fees need to be paid at drop off. If ****** Child Care needs to fill your Part Time spot with a Full Time spot, there will be a 48 Hour notice given. All other rules and regulations as provided in this Handbook are to be followed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 AM
marniewon's Avatar
marniewon marniewon is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 895
Default

I don't come right out and say it (not usually anyway) but it IS in my handbook. I encourage parents to read my handbook very carefully, and when they sign the contract they are stating that they have read, and agree to, my policies.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 AM
lil angels's Avatar
lil angels lil angels is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 645
Default

I couldn't term because they are part time. I don't take them if I don't want them to me it doesn't sound very nice to take what is available at the time and then term when you have something better come along.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,557
Default

I've had many part timers over the years but I always make it very clear to them if the opportunity arises that a full timer wants the space, then I offer it as a full time position to the part timer first and if they don't want, need or can't afford the space, I give it to the full timer who wants it. It might not be fair but I am running a business and my business needs to make money to support me and my family so when it comes to what is in the best interest of my business (and family) I couldn't care less if it is nice or not......

If I ran my business on what is nice so none of my clients feel bad, I'd be living in the vent thread and pulling my hair out in chunks!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 AM
JenNJ's Avatar
JenNJ JenNJ is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Burbank
Posts: 1,203
Default

It's in my contract that I can boot a pt kid for a ft kid. I would offer the space to the child currently in care, but I wouldn't give up the potential of $1000s of dollars bc it isn't nice. It isnt about nice, its about money.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Live and Learn's Avatar
Live and Learn Live and Learn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Paradise :-)
Posts: 959
Default

THIS IS BUSINESS!

When in the past I have allowed part timers I tell them that if a full timer comes along that needs the slot then they have the option to either:
1) stay and pay the full time rate
Or
2) find care elsewhere.

Reasonable daycare parents will totally understand this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:45 AM
littlemonkeys's Avatar
littlemonkeys littlemonkeys is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpayne24 View Post
Here is what my handbook/contract states:

Part Time Care IS NOT considered a Permanent spot. Part Time Care is handled on a day by day basis. All Part Time Fees need to be paid at drop off. If ****** Child Care needs to fill your Part Time spot with a Full Time spot, there will be a 48 Hour notice given. All other rules and regulations as provided in this Handbook are to be followed.
Sounds good, thanks! I'm going to look over my handbook right now. I can't remember what I have stated regarding part time care, but I do know that I verbally told the mother this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I've had many part timers over the years but I always make it very clear to them if the opportunity arises that a full timer wants the space, then I offer it as a full time position to the part timer first and if they don't want, need or can't afford the space, I give it to the full timer who wants it. It might not be fair but I am running a business and my business needs to make money to support me and my family so when it comes to what is in the best interest of my business (and family) I couldn't care less if it is nice or not......

If I ran my business on what is nice so none of my clients feel bad, I'd be living in the vent thread and pulling my hair out in chunks!!!
This is exactly what I had in mind.

Quote:
If I ran my business on what is nice so none of my clients feel bad, I'd be living in the vent thread and pulling my hair out in chunks!!!
You are so right!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 AM
littlemonkeys's Avatar
littlemonkeys littlemonkeys is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live and Learn View Post
THIS IS BUSINESS!

When in the past I have allowed part timers I tell them that if a full timer comes along that needs the slot then they have the option to either:
1) stay and pay the full time rate
Or
2) find care elsewhere.

Reasonable daycare parents will totally understand this.
This is pretty much what I had in mind. Like I said in another thread, I have had many many calls for part time care and I've told them all my policy and they seemed to understand.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Lilbutterflie's Avatar
Lilbutterflie Lilbutterflie is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 1,366
Default

Just a quick question: how much notice do y'all give the part timer when you find someone to fill the full time spot?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 AM
littlemonkeys's Avatar
littlemonkeys littlemonkeys is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie View Post
Just a quick question: how much notice do y'all give the part timer when you find someone to fill the full time spot?
I would still honor my two week notice!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Operating an Unlicensed Daycare Stephan Parents and Guardians Forum 317 07-20-2019 01:28 PM
Part Time Schedules? What Do You Do? Sprouts Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 21 07-20-2012 07:37 AM
How Do You Keep Up With It All? Angelwings36 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 04-25-2012 12:55 PM
Very Part Time Care mac60 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 04-12-2010 02:53 PM
Part time daycare kids! Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 09-21-2009 05:19 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:55 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming