Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Closing Christmas Eve ?
Soccermom 05:18 PM 10-25-2012
Christmas Eve is on a monday this year so I was thinking about closing that day in order to have 5 days off with my family. I normally close around 1pm anyway on Christmas Eve.
melissa ann 05:26 PM 10-25-2012
I always closed on Christmas Eve because we have a family church service at 4pm and I knew my parents would not pick up in time for me and my family to attend.
daycarediva 05:28 PM 10-25-2012
I am closed Mon/24-Wed/26 and open Thurs/Fri
cheerfuldom 05:29 PM 10-25-2012
always close Christmas Eve!

i got tired of parents dumping kids when they had the day off anyway. and of course they always picked up late and such. i dont want to be tired with a filthy house on Christmas morning! we need a holiday too!
CrayolaKids 05:30 PM 10-25-2012
My handbook states that I close on Christmas Eve, Christmas and the day after Christmas if it falls on a weekday. Sooo this year I have Monday through Wednesday off I normally close on New Years Eve too, but since I'm closing for three days the week before, I'm staying open on New Years Eve and just closing on New Years Day.
itlw8 05:31 PM 10-25-2012
I don't but I will be polling parents to see who has to work. I have several teachers so one parent would be off if the others are not coming.
youretooloud 05:31 PM 10-25-2012
I always take it off, I always have parents who ask me to watch the kids so they can clean the house.

LOL. Nope.. I'm cleaning my house.
makap 05:34 PM 10-25-2012
This year my last day is December 21st and I am off until January 2nd.

First year ever that I have any taken time off except for the stats.
lovemykidstoo 05:50 PM 10-25-2012
I close up on December 24 and don't go back to work unti Jan 2!! Woohoo!
countrymom 05:55 PM 10-25-2012
yes, I'm closed. I found that everyone got everything done, but I didn't get to do anything. So I now take it off.
Willow 06:18 PM 10-25-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Same here.

This will be my first year doing it. When opened Christmas eve and the day after I've always only ended up with a couple of kids. The very small amount of money I'd bring in didn't make being open worth it. I'd rather spend that time with my family rather than eek out a couple of bucks for the day and then have the spend the evening cleaning up.
DCBlessings27 06:25 PM 10-25-2012
I always close Christmas Eve, Christmas, and the day after Christmas. This year especially I'll be closed for the whole week because we scheduled my c-section for the 27th.
Daycarelady1979 06:35 PM 10-25-2012
I close on Christmas Eve & New Years Eve if they fall on a weekday...I got screwed one year by not making that clear & I ended up taking a dck with me to my family Christmas when it fell on a Friday. Never again!
JenNJ 06:47 PM 10-25-2012
Nope! They *all* have off and told me so without knowing I wasn't closed. SO now, I have the day off since I wasn't needed. I took the day after off so my kids can enjoy their gifts without worrying someone is going to break them. And I get an extra day to clean up the holiday mess!
bluemoose_mom 06:48 PM 10-25-2012
Yep, I'm closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

I'm also closed the day after Thanksgiving this year, though it's not in my handbook--none of my families needed me, so I told them I would be closed. I think I might include it next year though.
littlemissmuffet 06:49 PM 10-25-2012
I always close Christmas Eve, Christmas, and the day after Christmas (all paid). Five days off in a row this year, yay!!!
nanglgrl 07:14 PM 10-25-2012
I'm closed Christmas Eve,Christmas Day and the day after as well as Thanksgiving and the day after and New Years Eve and Day. These are 7 of the 10 days I take off paid a year. If any of my days fall on a weekend I take the Friday or Monday off paid. My clients don't pay me for vacation sick days I take but they do pay me anytime they are absent and I'm open.
It was really hard for me to ask for paid vacation or sick days but for some reason I didn't mind having the 10 paid days around holidays and neither did any of my parents. For me it's like getting a few nice long paid breaks in the winter and then I take an unpaid week off in the summer.
mema 07:16 PM 10-25-2012
I am open until 3, but as of right now only 1 family needs it and dcm says she'll just tell her work I'm closed (she doesn't want to work either)
Crazy8 07:29 PM 10-25-2012
I always take Christmas Eve & Christmas Day off. I really wish I took the day after off but I don't have that in my contract. I ALWAYS have a kid or two here and its always when at least one parent is home. I have even thought of closing for that entire week between xmas and new years without charge but sometimes I need off beginning of Dec. due to cheer competitions and this year we are going away early next year so I wouldn't want to be closed that much in a short time.
SunnyDay 07:36 PM 10-25-2012
Yes, we take 3 days off for Christmas, and this year it is Mon.-Wed.

Looking forward to it!
crazydaycarelady 07:48 PM 10-25-2012
Originally Posted by :
Me too. It is a longer break, this year with the way the holiday falls. Yeah!
MarinaVanessa 07:52 PM 10-25-2012
Yep I take Christmas Eve off too.
juliebug 07:54 PM 10-25-2012
I always take Christmas eve off paid too!
Nickel 08:37 PM 10-25-2012
This year I have 3 students so I won't have them at all from about beginning of December to early January. My remaining 2 dcks will be here, but 1 dcd gets an entire week off for the holidays so I'm going to ask them if they are willing to take that week as their unpaid vacation. Then I will just have 1 dck on the days I am open.

I am off christmas eve and christmas day open the day after christmas and closed new years eve and new years day. The other days I'm here!!!
Lianne 04:26 AM 10-26-2012
Instead of giving myself a rate increase this year I gave myself Christmas Eve and New Years Eve off with pay. I'm happy with my rates at the moment but I always wish I could afford to close on Christmas and New Years Eve, now I can If the days fall on a weekend I do not take an extra day to make up for it. Doing this is much cheaper for my clients and they've all been supportive of me closing those two days. I'm really looking forward to the time off this year since I couldn't afford to take time off in the summer.
Springdaze 04:50 AM 10-26-2012
I close at 2, but might stay open til 3 for travel. I am closing the day after though. I like to enjoy my christmas night and not have to worry about being ready the next day. always black friday. i dont care about new years because we never go anywhere.
SilverSabre25 05:01 AM 10-26-2012
I never bother closing on Christmas Eve because most of my dcp's actually work that day, because we don't do anything special on Christmas Eve until dinner (at a normal time), and because my dcps usually pick up early/not later than usual.

it's not a normal day for us though; the kids play, I clean or finish last minute stuff, we have chicken nuggets and fries for lunch.

I take the day after Christmas off instead, to give myself more time to clean up from the chaos of Christmas and to give my kids more time to enjoy their new toys without any interference from the dcks.
jokalima 05:36 AM 10-26-2012
I am closed from Dec 24th to Jan 2nd and I also have the week of Thanksgiving off, that's how I scheduled my vac time. I had taken some emergency days off at the beginning of the year, it was something not planned for. Now with the storm coming, I am afraid that if I loose power I'll have to close a couple of days before my 2 scheduled vac time, do you think that if that does happen it has to affect my vac time?

In my contract I have 2 weeks of unpaid vac time, it also says that other emergency closing can happen, but I don't know if is just to much.
Meeko 07:12 AM 10-26-2012
Closed!!!!!!
quailsgarden 07:21 AM 10-26-2012
I am closing the 24-26 and open Thurs and Fri. For the next week I will be closed the 31st and the 1st. I was thinking about taking the whole week off but with New years on a weekday as well I figured that would be a nice break.
lil angels 07:21 AM 10-26-2012
I am closed this year from Dec 24 till Jan 2 this year all paid.
SunshineMama 07:22 AM 10-26-2012
I closed that whole week.
Blackcat31 07:30 AM 10-26-2012
I close at 3 PM on Friday the 22nd and do not re-open until Wednesday Jan 2, 2013.
daycare 07:35 AM 10-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I close at 3 PM on Friday the 22nd and do not re-open until Wednesday Jan 2, 2013.
I am sooooooo jealous!! I wish that I closed longer... I only closed monday and tuesday!!!
SilverSabre25 07:40 AM 10-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm jealous too!

In a few years I'm sure I'll have more "pull" to close longer.

Ah, the benefits of a long time in the industry :P
Blackcat31 07:41 AM 10-26-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am sooooooo jealous!! I wish that I closed longer... I only closed monday and tuesday!!!
Best part is it is all paid too!

The first 15 years in the business, I only closed Christmas Eve and Christmas day IF they fell on a weekday. I gradually added days and then started charging about 2 years ago when I stopped taking any school age kids.

Most my families are teachers or employed with the school district so I found myself coming to work for only 2 or 3 kids and honestly, that just wasn't fun or cool so I started not taking personal days once a month and just took all my vacation over Christmas time.

I PM'ed you...
Mom2Five+ 07:46 AM 10-26-2012
I usually only take Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off but only one family brings their little one so they can enjoy their vacation time. So this year I'm using my second week of paid vacation to take off from Dec. 24 - Jan 2. This way I can enjoy winter break with my kids and also my daughters birthday that is Jan 1
Neekie 08:17 AM 10-26-2012
Closed always! I take my vacation at Christmas time and so I am closed from the week before Christmas until the day after New Year's Day.
Country Kids 08:19 AM 10-26-2012
I'm closed Christmas Eve/Christmas. I figure I still get a four day weekend-

I'm trying my darndest to take my vacations all in the summer when my kids are home and we can have fun.

I refuse, refuse to get sick this year and use them that way!
snbauser 08:20 AM 10-26-2012
Originally Posted by Achelea:
Same here. Normally we are open until 12 on Christmas Eve and then closed from Christmas through New Years. But we are not opening for 1/2 a day on a Monday.
mom2many 08:22 AM 10-26-2012
I've always had the 24-26 off as paid holidays.
wahmof3 08:27 AM 10-26-2012
I close that whole week

My DCP are mainly teachers so they are off & so am I
DaisyMamma 08:53 AM 10-26-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Same! It will be so nice to have 5 days off!
Chatter Box 10:35 AM 10-26-2012
I was going to (and would like to close) the 24th through the 28th but this is my first year doing this and I was mocking what my son's old daycare did and stated that I would take the whole week off unpaid. This will be my only unpaid holiday/vacation time I was going to take this year. Now I'm kicking myself that I am going to be losing an entire weeks worth of pay for 5 families.

Next year I'm going to be taking all major holiday days off paid, with the opportunity to take any other elective days unpaid. I will still probably take the other days off during the week but at least I will still have sort of income for the week still coming in.

I just decided to put a note on the door that I may elect to work the non holiday days this year if they are interested in utilizing me to let me know. I don't think my hubby will want me to work since I think he's going to be off but I wish I would have thought this out a little better. Always in hindsight...
Tags:christmas eve
Reply Up