Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Which Would You Choose To Run If Given The Choice???
Crazy8 10:20 AM 04-25-2015
a 4 day per week (M-Th) full year daycare
OR
a 5 day per week program with summers off???

I have thought of going teachers only w/summers off now that my kids are older but right now I am doing the 4 days a week and LOVING it!! It means working thru the summer but with Fridays off plus spreading out my vacation days I am hoping it wouldn't be too horrible this year (first summer doing it).

If I go teachers only I have to offer the 5 days a week to get filled up so doing 4 days plus summers off isn't an option.
NightOwl 10:27 AM 04-25-2015
Ugh... I hate you little right now. Sounds amazing. I think I would do 4 days weekly if I had to pick. I think I would get bored in the summer with no kids here. And by Wednesday, I'm counting down to the weekend. So it would be awfully nice if it came a day sooner.
nannyde 10:56 AM 04-25-2015
Summers off
spinnymarie 11:26 AM 04-25-2015
I take summers off Not to mention the teacher schedule that includes Spring Break, two weeks at Winter Break, and several other holidays
It's such a nice break, and by the time the kids come back after break, I'm itching to get going again!
Plus my own kids have the summers off too, so we get to do fun things together without DCK.
Crazy8 11:37 AM 04-25-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
Ugh... I hate you little right now. Sounds amazing. I think I would do 4 days weekly if I had to pick. I think I would get bored in the summer with no kids here. And by Wednesday, I'm counting down to the weekend. So it would be awfully nice if it came a day sooner.
Sorry!! LOL! I have had the fridays off since November and oh do I love it!! I have run my daycare for over 13 years and this is the FIRST time I've ever had this happen and I am just not so sure I want to give it up, but now that my kids are older being tied to the house in the summer is hard too. But I think by using my vacation days split up (since we don't have a true vacation planned this year) it will really help to "extend" my weekends even more and it won't be too bad. Plus if DH can have a weekday off that I am working he could be available to get my own kids out of the house too.

In terms of "days off" the 4 day week schedule actually gives me more days off, school gets out so late in June so I am basically thinking I'd just be closed July & August.
Crazy8 11:40 AM 04-25-2015
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
I take summers off Not to mention the teacher schedule that includes Spring Break, two weeks at Winter Break, and several other holidays
It's such a nice break, and by the time the kids come back after break, I'm itching to get going again!
Plus my own kids have the summers off too, so we get to do fun things together without DCK.
the problem with breaks is I get teachers from all different school districts with different weeks for breaks and even my own kids go to 3 different schools (2 different districts) so I'm not sure I'd get a whole lot of extra time off for those. I already close between xmas and new years and that is really all we get off for break that time of year.
Thriftylady 02:15 PM 04-25-2015
I would do summers off, but only because then I could spend some time on semi with hubby in the summer. I don't enjoy riding, but it gives us some time together and it really lifts his spirits.
Baby Beluga 02:16 PM 04-25-2015
I would chose to have Friday's off.
Josiegirl 02:25 PM 04-25-2015
If I could make the same wages for the year, I'd love a whole summer off!! Heck, I'd love a whole week off.
Crazy8 07:21 PM 04-25-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
If I could make the same wages for the year, I'd love a whole summer off!! Heck, I'd love a whole week off.
You know I didn't calculate the money difference until reading this post! I would make less having summers off (about $1,800 less if at capacity in both scenarios) but I am at a stage in life where I could get by with the less money to have the time off so that wouldn't be a big deal to me. Ironically I'd have more days off and make more by doing the 4 day a week schedule.

I'd like to wait until after the summer to make the decision, just to see how this summer goes, but I can't wait if I want to enroll a few teachers for September!
childcaremom 02:24 AM 04-26-2015
Really is not an easy choice. I would love Fridays off as a chance to have a really great (and early) start to the weekend with my family, as well as leave it open for appointments and what not. I probably would have picked this if my kids were younger and still in daycare. They are all school aged now so I would take summers off.

I am trying to get teachers to enroll but know it will take some time. I will close over Christmas and March Breaks and then through the summer.

I charge them more, to make up for the reduced income over the breaks, and would rather spend the time with just my kids.

It will take a while to get there but if I ever do I will be happy and so will my kids.
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 04-26-2015
Without a doubt I'd take the summers off.

Having a 3 day weekend is nice and I get a lot done when that happens but not near as much stuff as I'd get done over a long and sunny summer!!

You really can't immerse yourself in anything worthwhile IMHO over 3 days but the things you could do over a summer.....

.....endless possibilities.
Unregistered 02:58 AM 04-27-2015
M-Th

I actually enjoy summer time child care with all the fun outside activities, sun, sand, water, painting rocks, picnics, messiness, puddles, etc!
DaveA 03:59 AM 04-27-2015
I can't decide. I would love summers off but an extra day off per week would be really productive for me. Snap decision- I'd take the 4 day week but be happy with either.
originalkat 06:31 AM 04-27-2015
I this question!!!! I would love either one, but since my kids are school age I think I would pick summers off.
Unregistered 06:43 AM 04-27-2015
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I this question!!!! I would love either one, but since my kids are school age I think I would pick summers off.
I so agree. 4 work days in the summer with your own SA's home are a loooooooong four days. You could also do home repairs, schedule annual appointments, organize and plan for the school year, or just give your kids almost three months to just have you.
daycaremum 08:52 AM 04-27-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Sorry!! LOL! I have had the fridays off since November and oh do I love it!! I have run my daycare for over 13 years and this is the FIRST time I've ever had this happen and I am just not so sure I want to give it up, but now that my kids are older being tied to the house in the summer is hard too. But I think by using my vacation days split up (since we don't have a true vacation planned this year) it will really help to "extend" my weekends even more and it won't be too bad. Plus if DH can have a weekday off that I am working he could be available to get my own kids out of the house too.

In terms of "days off" the 4 day week schedule actually gives me more days off, school gets out so late in June so I am basically thinking I'd just be closed July & August.
I am in the same position. I have only worked 4 days a week for maybe the past 2 years. First it was Thursdays (just happened to work with my clients) then switched to Fridays. My enrolment has been low though because you have to hold out for families that can make 4 day week work. I have only had two children since September, and it's not necessarily the Fridays off that has kept clients away, but it has kept some away. I considered changing to the school calendar year, I could get clients more easily I believe (small community, not a big pool of clients to begin with), because it is easier for families to get a student for when school is not in session than it is for them to find alternate arrangements one day a week all year long. My kids are 9 and 11 and I would like having more summer free time with them. BUT that one day a week I do errands, shopping, appointments etc….so would have to rearrange my life back to the way it was doing those things evenings and weekends and closing for appointments. It's a tough decision for sure.
melilley 10:47 AM 04-27-2015
Summers off! It would be so awesome to be able to have that time with my kids!
Baby lady 11:49 AM 04-27-2015
Both!

summers off if I had to choose

I wish I had taken more time off when my kids were young
kitykids3 12:36 PM 04-27-2015
I would choose the 4 day work weeks. Fridays off. I could get a lot done on that extra day every week and use that day for all my doctor appts etc. Although, with needing knee surgery, the first year I would take the summer off to recover. But otherwise, so much less stress and more time to relax throughout the year with only four day work weeks.
spud912 01:23 PM 04-27-2015
Summer off for sure! I'm of the same mindset as BC....you can't get *much* done over a 3 day weekend, but with a whole summer....possibilities are endless!
Gemma 05:31 PM 04-27-2015
a 4 day per week (M-Th) full year daycare
OR
a 5 day per week program with summers off???

I have thought of going teachers only w/summers off now that my kids are older but right now I am doing the 4 days a week and LOVING it!! It means working thru the summer but with Fridays off plus spreading out my vacation days I am hoping it wouldn't be too horrible this year (first summer doing it).

If I go teachers only I have to offer the 5 days a week to get filled up so doing 4 days plus summers off isn't an option.
I would take the 4 days M-Th...I'm afraid if I have all that time off I wouldn't want to re open!
momofsix 07:50 AM 04-28-2015
Summers off for sure!!!
I'm taking my first summer break this year and can't wait! I'll have off from mid June til mid August. I REALLY need this time to rejuvenate and am hoping to be raring to go by the time the kids start again in the fall. I also do Christmas break and have done spring break depending on the families' needs.
spinnymarie 10:28 AM 04-28-2015
the problem with breaks is I get teachers from all different school districts with different weeks for breaks and even my own kids go to 3 different schools (2 different districts) so I'm not sure I'd get a whole lot of extra time off for those. I already close between xmas and new years and that is really all we get off for break that time of year.
We have several school districts within a stone's throw here as well, but my children (will/do) only attend one, so we align with that one. Teacher's from other districts have back-up for the few days that don't align
We also charge a higher daily rate for this schedule, but still less than a 52-wk daycare over the course of a year.
DaisyMamma 11:29 AM 04-28-2015
I have two school age DDs. I vote summers off and closed all school vacation days.
Crazy8 06:52 AM 04-30-2015
looks like summers off is winning the votes but I think am leaning towards keeping the 4 day a week schedule for a while longer for a few reasons (the need to replace a few more kids, already signed up a M-Th kid for fall, my hubby's ability to take days off during the week, 2 weeks vacation time, etc. etc). So I think I will actually get MORE out of having the Fridays off year round than I would having the 8-9 weeks straight off in the summer (schools do not get out until June 24-27th here so summers feel short!). It would be nice to become a beach bum for 2 months but I really do get a lot accomplished with my current 3 day weekends that its probably a fair trade.
Reply Up