Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kiddie Table
Unregistered 02:14 PM 11-01-2017
Tips for transitioning from high chair to seats at the kid-sized table? What age would you start working on this? How would you know a child might be ready to give it a try? TIA!
Blackcat31 02:21 PM 11-01-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Tips for transitioning from high chair to seats at the kid-sized table? What age would you start working on this? How would you know a child might be ready to give it a try? TIA!
Any meal time transitions (to a chair, using open cups, silverware etc) begin with snack time. Once they've mastered whatever skill we are working on during snack I make the move permanent by including breakfast and lunch.

The only way to know if they are ready is to try. Some catch on quicker than others but trying is the only way I've ever known to measure readiness.
jenboo 06:43 PM 11-01-2017
I start about 9 months/ when they can sit up in the chair.
momofsix 02:45 PM 11-03-2017
I usually start right around one year. It depends on the height of your table and chairs, if they are able to sit without falling or spilling and if they are the type of child that will stay seated.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 04:28 PM 11-03-2017
Usually about the time the bottle is dropped because they are self feeding and on the same schedule/content as everyone else. (I do continue to use a chair with a safety belt though.) I also have a plate and bowl with suction cups that discourages (it does not prevent) the dump and toss.
ColorfulSunburst 05:19 PM 11-03-2017
I do not use a real HIGH chair. I use only a top part of this set. https://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Conve...rds=high+chair

So the top part fits to a regular kids table just fine. When I see that a kid is able to feed himself I move his chair to the toddlers tables . After a few days (s)he stops using " a baby chair".
Justjoy 08:19 AM 11-05-2017
I transition as soon as they can sit in a chair without falling. Usually around 9-10 months. They love being with the "big kids" and learn much faster to use their utensils, etc.. by observing the older children.
hwichlaz 08:42 AM 11-05-2017
It really depends on the kid. I have a 2 1/2 year old that still can't handle it unless I can sit right next to her and reseat her and keep her from dumping other people's or her own plates or stealing food etc.
Tags:table, transitioning - high chair to chair
Reply Up