Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Questions.. About Late Fees, Payments, Picky Eater
jenny31052 03:52 PM 08-18-2011
I've been providing childcare for a couple of friends for a year, but just a month ago, I've became "official", and I now I have a contract and rules to follow, and 3 new kids to care for.

This one child started about 3 weeks ago, and I'm really frustrated...
It's already the second time that I get paid late, and she has been late in picking him up numerous times already. But now I'm tired of her taking advantage of my time, and work, and yesterday I gave an invoice with late payments fees she needs to pay, in addition with the child's tuition for this week.

How do you re-inforce your late fees policy? What if she doesn't pay them? She signed the contract where it is clear that there are late fees for late payments, and late pick ups, but I have the feeling she's one of those people that are able to talk you out of it, being over-friendly, and strangely "too nice".

Then, the child, who has a few issues I've talked about it before in here. Today he refused everything that was on the menu - but then ask for cookies or chips, or any kind of junk food he has at home.
I do the USDA food program, and I get randomly inspected - I do not want to risk, by giving this kid whatever he wants, plus it is not fair to the other kids.

What do you do with kdis that refuse to eat what's on your menu for that day???? I offered him alternatives from the weekly menu, and he promptly refused all of them; then he accepted some cantaloupe, but then find out that he has hidden all the pieces inside a toy truck (making a huge mess, but trying to make them fit, by squishing them in).

I'm ready to tell his Mom to keep him home...
TBird 04:18 PM 08-18-2011
As far as enforcing your late policies....I believe you're doing that already. You (quite awesomely I might add) gave her an invoice so now the ball is in her court. If she causes a fuss, kindly offer to go over the handbook with her again and see on what page she may have taken you for a FOOL!!! From what you've eluded to, it sounds like she's "phoney nice" so people like this you have to deal with straight forward and by the book. I usually attach the payment policy page right to my invoice so they can SEE that I'm not even playing!!! And after that......NO PAY, NO PLAY.

Finally, the eating thing is an adult problem....not a kid problem. Unless that kid has anorexia nervosa, he will not starve himself. It's a power play...the more you offer and beg, the more the child wields the power over you. I had a boy just like this. If he didn't eat what I placed in front of him, I moved the plate to the middle of the table and had him sit for the entire meal, totally ignoring the fact that he was refusing the food. By day 3, halfway through the meal he would stick his little hand out and slide that plate towards himself and eat everything BUT the plate!!! When he first came his mom wanted me to hand feed him......UM NO. Not my job to make children eat....children eat when they are hungry. He has since gone back to his home country and probably hasn't eaten a full meal since.
Mom_of_two 05:20 PM 08-18-2011
Totally agree with PP!! The worst that would happen is you have a spot to fill. And maybe get a family that is a better fit. It it SO important to enforce policies!! I need to, so I continue to like my job!! Which in turn is best for everyone-lol. This family might not be a good fit for you. Really if the only thing were late payments that alone would be enough. Not ok!!
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:41 PM 08-18-2011
It is okay if the child doesnt eat. He's only hurting himself and even then it's only till he's picked up. He won't starve in the few hours he's with you. We've had children who refuse to eat before, and it doesn't bother me (yeah it's annoying. You fix the food and work hard to make sure the children are fed healthy, just to have them not even appreciate it. And I do feel bad that they might be hungry, but I know they won't starve). As soon as a child says, "I don't like that." I tell them, "that's okay. You don't have to eat it." And act like I could care less if they eat or not. Sometimes they throw a crying fit and continue the rest of the meal, but then the next time we eat, they either eat also, or again hear, "That's okay", but there's no fit because it didn't work for them earlier. Eventually they get the idea that they can either eat what's on their plate, or go hungry. They sooner or later usually choose to eat what's on their plate without much fuss from then on. Children only throw fits when it gets them what they want. If they don't get their way, they usually see they're wasting their breath. Sometimes they're REALLY persistant, though, and test you for weeks before they get it. Just stay strong and don't let them know you feel bad that they're not eating By the way, a lot of providers think they have to give the children something to eat because they're on the food program, but actually all they require is that you offer it (on the plate in front of them). It's up to the child if they eat it or not.
cheerfuldom 05:48 PM 08-18-2011
Both two easy solutions....do not accept the child through your door until all payments are made. If they show up without money, tell them they need to go to the bank and get it and then bring the kid back (do NOT let the kid stay while they go get money). She might get mad and leave permanently, in which case you will know that she never had any intention of following the rules in the first place and you should be glad to be rid of her. As for the meal, do not offer anything else. He will eat when he is hungry and quickly learn that there are no choices at your house. You'd be amazed at what my daycare kids will do for me here. I even have young ones (well under 12 months) that eat very nicely for me and throw huge fits at home for mom.
mismatchedsocks 05:52 PM 08-18-2011
Since you are licensed its only a short time until snack anyway. If he doesnt like lunch, and what is offered, not anything else, then he can wait until snack. Its not like you make what he doesnt like on purpose, sounds like he is used to getting what he wants. Also just put a small amount of food on his plate of everything that you are serving, there will be more available when he eats the first little part. No need wasting so much food every day!

I enforce the late fee, by making them pay the day they are late. When they show up, say you can hold the check until Friday, but need the late payment. They know they are late, its not a shock. Maybe paying so much in late fees will make them realize how valueable your time is!
SandeeAR 05:52 PM 08-18-2011
I had a 2.5 y/o, at one time. She had been with me since 18 mos. She was a good eater. Then suddenly one day, she decided not to eat anything I gave her. Most days she would eat breakfast, but never lunch. I tried at first to get her to eat, went so far as to put a few spoons in her mouth. Then I quit. She didn't eat, so be it. She sat there until everyone else was done. She was the last one I would clean up and get down. Put her plate in the frig. At snack, when the rest of them were having a good snack, she got her plate again.

This went on until she left for preschool. She didn't care, b/c when Dad picked her up, and they went to school to get the big sister, they went to Sonic a lot for a snack, or whatever they wanted at home. If she had been mine, she would have waited until dinner to eat anything. There would have been no snack time for her.
Abigail 08:17 PM 08-18-2011
How in-depth are you policies and your contract? Review your section in your policy book that states you're on the food program and outlines the basics that you are required to offer food on the menu for that day and that no alternatives will be offered unless a medical note states an allegy....something along those lines. Make sure to include your meal times so if they don't eat lunch they can not get up during nap to eat lunch and make sure you have NO OUTSIDE FOOD allowed, not even the juice drink they were given as drop off as mom/dad begged them to get in the car and hurry up, LOL. Then with the child, I agree with PPosts that you put very little of each food type on the place (to elimate wasted food) and don't ever offer an alternative again. Also have the child be last to be excused from the table.

As far as your payments not getting to you, check your contract. Make sure you have a section about no pay, no play. Give a deadline or what if statement; Payments due Friday before closing for the following week of care. If payment is not received Monday at drop off with the late fee, care will not be provided. Other than that, you're doing great with sending an invoice. Do not let them stay one more day without getting paid.
jenny31052 08:45 PM 08-18-2011
Thanks everyone!
Tonight was her last chance...

So she came on Monday morning, with a check, but asking me if I can cash it on Thursday. I say, "ok, fine, but I'll have to charge you late fees". Then Wednesday at pick-up she told me she was going to give me cash this morning. Then she comes tonight, and tells me that she doesn't get paid until Thursday night, so no money still, and I can't cash the check either...

I'm beyond pissed at this lady. I told her that I needed the money, because I have to buy food for daycare for next week, and she needs to bring them tomorrow morning (with the late fees) or I will not be accepting his child.

She's just playing with me, and I'm done! If I don't see the payment tomorrow, I will terminate her on the spot...

I prefer someone that tells me upfront that they will not have the money until the end of the week, than being treated like I'm a joke or something.. I can't believe it...

The contract is pretty clear about policies. I got it done with the help of a legal office, and the parents signed each paragraph of it, especially those about payments and late fees.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, late fee - letter, late payment, picky eater, terminate
Reply Up