Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Dear Montessori Friends...

I know some of you use Montessori techniques in your dc's.

I have a practical life question..

I had some buttons to sew on a sweater today, so I got my 3yo dc girl involved. I had her hold things, and cut the thread, but it made me think that she might be interested in trying some sewing herself, and so would the older kids.

How do you make that available? DO you use real needles and thread (for an often sneaky 3yo and toddlers here as well). Is there a more young-child friendly alternative? Or do you just bring out that sort of activity when you can closely supervise?

I have lacing cards, but they are not very popular here. The toddlers just toss them around, and the older children find them boring.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 AM

Try plastic needlepoint canvas, yarn and a plastic yarn needle. You can "sew" the pieces together.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 AM

I would not leave any needles unsupervised
With that young of an age group! I can just see all the accidents that could cause- a missing needle in the carpet turning up in someone's foot ect.

I would implement sewing as a small group activity where you can sit, watch, explain and offer support where needed. Or stick with large plastic darning needles, yarn and felt
Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 AM

I have plastic needles with blunt tips, and we usually use yarn and sew through pieces of burlap (the holes are nice and big)

They have to sit at the art table to use them, and I closely monitor them and make sure it all gets put away.

My SA use real needle and thread, but again, its at the table, and closely monitored.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Blossoms Blooming

When I was about 4-6, I wanted to sew w my mom, but she bought me one of those potholder weaver things, with the nylon loops. I LOVED it. I was about 6 when I started cross-stitch. At about 8, I switched over to skateboarding. LOL!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:47 PM

tthanks for the idea. I will check out the craft section at Walmart next time I'm there. I totally forgot plastic needles exsisted. I think it will be a nice start!

side note: I had NO intention of leaving needles or pins with reach of children. I have been told that some Montessori programs do use real materials, but I think that is an older crowd!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

I bought a bunch of "Sewing for kids" books on amazon. There are some great activities in there for littles
Old 12-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Daycare.com Member

Our local Michaels has plastic needles, they are great.

Try using shapes cut out of brown paper grocery sacks, or pieces of felt. Pre-punch the holes in the paper or fabric, and let them "sew" with pieces of yarn. Stuff the felt or paper with paper towel or tissue.

Tags
crafts, montessori