Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spot Holding Issue, Not Covered In Contract
drseuss 10:26 AM 04-22-2014
Last fall I had my license renewed after a hiatus from 'the full swing' of child care. I introduced a new contract to the few families I had, and picked up a couple of new children. One of the new children is a teacher's child and an infant. There is nothing in my contract stating how a spot is held for the summer, and now I don't know how to handle it or how to approach the subject with the dcm. Judging by what I know, she is probably going to be very upset if I suggest that she has to pay to hold her spot.

How would you handle this if there were nothing in the contract about it? Yikes!! I feel like I am pulling a bait and switch if I ask her to pay to hold the spot.
Annalee 10:33 AM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
Last fall I had my license renewed after a hiatus from 'the full swing' of child care. I introduced a new contract to the few families I had, and picked up a couple of new children. One of the new children is a teacher's child and an infant. There is nothing in my contract stating how a spot is held for the summer, and now I don't know how to handle it or how to approach the subject with the dcm. Judging by what I know, she is probably going to be very upset if I suggest that she has to pay to hold her spot.

How would you handle this if there were nothing in the contract about it? Yikes!! I feel like I am pulling a bait and switch if I ask her to pay to hold the spot.
Go with what you feel is right, but remember this could be setting the stage for future situations like this....might be better to go ahead and nip it in the bud and charge for the spot. You could nicely tell her this issue never crossed your mind when you developed the contract but here is an amendment to be added for future reference. Have all parents sign and place in their files. Good luck to you!
Blackcat31 10:48 AM 04-22-2014
So she is expecting YOU to risk YOUR financial stability because SHE doesn't want to pay to hold HER child's space?

I'd tell her that she has 2 options....

Pay to hold the space

or

Pull her child out and risk losing the space.

HER choice.

No matter which option SHE chooses, it should NOT affect YOUR income.

YOU don't work seasonally.
cheerfuldom 12:09 PM 04-22-2014
I am confused why this wasnt addressed at interview....did you not know that she was a teacher or that she was planning to pull for the summer?
drseuss 12:33 PM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I am confused why this wasnt addressed at interview....did you not know that she was a teacher or that she was planning to pull for the summer?
I knew both of those things. I guess in my idealistic mind, I didn't think it was going to be an issue. Now I see that it is. Particularly because I can't seem to fill my 2 & up spots and money is super tight. The calls I am getting are for infants and those two spots are filled (this one just during the school year).

I know it doesn't make sense. I just didn't think that far ahead when I wrote my (14-page) contract.
drseuss 12:50 PM 04-22-2014
And that is why I don't feel like it would be right to tell dcm at this point that I want her to pay to hold the spot.
Meeko 01:03 PM 04-22-2014
She may act a bit put out...but only because who wouldn't want a space for free?!

But any reasonable parent would not really think it was OK to tell you your income has to go down just to make life easier for them. Sometimes it just needs to be pointed out to them that they are asking waaay too much.

I have a good friend (used to be a client and is one of the very few who transitioned to real friend!) One summer she came to me and said
"Mike's teenage sister is coming to spend the summer with us. Things are a bit tight financially right now and so we want her to watch the kids over the summer. But I wanted to make sure you'd hold the places for them as we really want them back with you in the fall?"

I took a deep breathe and said....."Imagine your boss coming to you tomorrow and saying "Things are bit tight with the company right now. So my daughter is going to do your job for free for a few months. We want you to go home and just wait for us to call you. We will not pay you during this time. But we also don't want you to look for another job to pay your bills, because we want you back as soon as we get the whim. OK?"

She flung her arms around my neck and cried. She had honestly not thought of that way.....even though there is no difference in the scenarios. They paid me full price anyway, even though the kids spent most of their time with their aunt. To this day, she tells me she was happy I was so honest with her and setting her straight!

Just tell the DCM that it is not reasonable for her to expect you to hold places without pay.
Meeko 01:15 PM 04-22-2014
And that is why I don't feel like it would be right to tell dcm at this point that I want her to pay to hold the spot.
It's not right for her to expect you to hold it for free.
Blackcat31 01:27 PM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
It's not right for her to expect you to hold it for free.

I would tell her that you assumed she was year round. If she didn't plan it that way SHE should have told you about her plans upon enrollment. It isn't right that she is just now mentioning this fact.

If it is HER situation, then it is HER responsibility to let others know or to ask you when you interviewed.

Also, don't feel bad that it isn't addressed in your contract/policies. Most of us don't know that we should have a particular rule until the issue is standing in front of us....
It was NOT wrong of you to assume she would be full time year round if she didn't mention her summer intentions.
CraftyMom 01:56 PM 04-22-2014
I was also wondering if she had said the child wouldn't be coming during the summer? Or did she just say she was a teacher? Teachers often bring their kids to daycare even thought they are home in the summer, so I would think you have the defense that you assumed she was year round, unless she said otherwise.
Crazy8 02:08 PM 04-22-2014
Did the subject come up at all during the interview?? Even if its not in your contract I assume there is something in your contract about attendance in general, right??? If you didn't talk about it during the interview then how would you have known she wouldn't attend during the summer?? There are plenty of teachers who keep their children in daycare for the summer (at least part time).

I would love to charge full rate for teachers for the summer but honestly the way the market is here and the number of daycares around it just isn't feasible. I do offer to hold the spot for a fee (1/3rd rate) or allow part time attendance equal to or greater than that amount. That's the best I can do. Their other option is to pull out and find a new daycare for the following year.
Janiam 02:16 PM 04-22-2014
I would ask her to pay part time or she can re-apply in the fall if space is available.
CraftyMom 02:24 PM 04-22-2014
Maybe your contract says payments are due regardless of attendance? That would cover this area
drseuss 02:38 PM 04-22-2014
She contracted with me specifically for the school year. I knew that going in. We never discussed how I/we would go about holding that spot for re-enrollment in the fall and my contract (I should say handbook/contract) doesn't touch on it. Yeah, I know, that makes no common sense at all. So now I have to decide how to approach it with dcm as the school year comes to a close in six and a half weeks. I want to be fair, and not sound like I am being arbitrary simply because I hadn't thought of this earlier.

I don't think it would be unfair to ask her for 50% of my regular rate to hold her spot for the summer, and to make myself available for her for (help me fill in the blank here) certain days. ?
CraftyMom 02:45 PM 04-22-2014
She contracted with me specifically for the school year. I knew that going in. We never discussed how I/we would go about holding that spot for re-enrollment in the fall and my contract (I should say handbook/contract) doesn't touch on it. Yeah, I know, that makes no common sense at all. So now I have to decide how to approach it with dcm as the school year comes to a close in six and a half weeks. I want to be fair, and not sound like I am being arbitrary simply because I hadn't thought of this earlier.

I don't think it would be unfair to ask her for 50% of my regular rate to hold her spot for the summer, and to make myself available for her for (help me fill in the blank here) certain days. ?
2 days. She would be paying for half a week she gets half a week.
jenn 02:50 PM 04-22-2014
I allow my teacher families to move to part time for the summer. They pay for 3 days minimum per week. They can send them 3 days or just pay to hold their spot. They feel like they are getting a deal (and they are) and I still make enough to survive!
I would just approach it positively. "DCM, I wanted to let you know that I have really enjoyed working with you and your child. I am willing to offer you a special deal in order to hold your spot over the summer. I will allow you to save your spot at my part time rate instead of paying the full weekly amount. (if you are willing to make her a deal.) If you would like to send your child a few days a week, that would be great! It will help your child stay in routine and will allow you some time to get ready for the next school year!"
I absolutely would not apologize for not making this clear at enrollment or let her know that you are feeling bad. Most parents would use that guilt to their advantage and walk all over you.
Blackcat31 03:09 PM 04-22-2014

If she contracted with you for the school year only then the issue isn't so much holding her space but renewing her contract.

Let her know that her contract ends when the school year ends and if she wishes to re-enroll come Fall, she will need to re-apply IF you have space available.

Let her know that if she decides to take the spot come Fall the only way to hold it for that long then is to pay for it.

I don't think contracting for the school year only paints you into a corner at all. I would simply assume that she is wanting to end the contract at the end of the school year.

I'd let her but would give her the head's up that if she is simply assuming the space will be waiting for her to return that the space WILL be filled and your business will move on... it has NOTHING to do with her. It's not personal.

Its up to her what she does after that. kwim?
Heidi 03:28 PM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If she contracted with you for the school year only then the issue isn't so much holding her space but renewing her contract.

Let her know that her contract ends when the school year ends and if she wishes to re-enroll come Fall, she will need to re-apply IF you have space available.

Let her know that if she decides to take the spot come Fall the only way to hold it for that long then is to pay for it.

I don't think contracting for the school year only paints you into a corner at all. I would simply assume that she is wanting to end the contract at the end of the school year.

I'd let her but would give her the head's up that if she is simply assuming the space will be waiting for her to return that the space WILL be filled and your business will move on... it has NOTHING to do with her. It's not personal.

drseuss 03:29 PM 04-22-2014

That's kind of it...the part that makes ME feel like a JERK is the fact that I never brought it up earlier, and now I am afraid that she will feel like I set a trap for her or something. And really, in a profession that is ALL about caring, nurturing, loving the little ones, how do we separate that so that it is NOT personal? Because, in a big way, it is quite personal. Something I've always struggled with. Today I had a dcm ask me if she could swap a day next week, and I told her no problem, as per usual, because I have the wiggle room. She flat out told me that my problem was that I am too nice. And for real, I am nearly broke because of it and at my wit's end. You'd think that years of experience would fix that. I have learned a lot of things and become a much stronger person through the issues that I have had to deal with, like the first time terming, etc. But really. Sometimes I think that I need to hire somebody just to be my backbone.
Heidi 03:53 PM 04-22-2014
That's kind of it...the part that makes ME feel like a JERK is the fact that I never brought it up earlier, and now I am afraid that she will feel like I set a trap for her or something. And really, in a profession that is ALL about caring, nurturing, loving the little ones, how do we separate that so that it is NOT personal? Because, in a big way, it is quite personal. Something I've always struggled with. Today I had a dcm ask me if she could swap a day next week, and I told her no problem, as per usual, because I have the wiggle room. She flat out told me that my problem was that I am too nice. And for real, I am nearly broke because of it and at my wit's end. You'd think that years of experience would fix that. I have learned a lot of things and become a much stronger person through the issues that I have had to deal with, like the first time terming, etc. But really. Sometimes I think that I need to hire somebody just to be my backbone.
"Hey, dcm...it just occurred to me that we never really discussed summer. How do you think we should handle that?"

If she says...well, I didn't think I'd pay you, but I want to bring her back in the fall...you can say "well, I'd love to have her back in the fall, but, unfortunately, I can't afford to keep her spot open all summer, so we can either have her attend half-time and have you pay for that, or, you can risk it. What do ya think?" If she looks confused, say "hey, I know you'll want to think about it. How about we talk again later in the week?" That way, she can digest it, and maybe even ask around to see what other teachers are paying. She may get an eye-opener, or not, but you've given her the opportunity to think about it.

Put it back on her...but stand your ground. That's not bait-and-switch, honey. It's you keeping your business afloat.
drseuss 04:20 PM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
"Hey, dcm...it just occurred to me that we never really discussed summer. How do you think we should handle that?"

If she says...well, I didn't think I'd pay you, but I want to bring her back in the fall...you can say "well, I'd love to have her back in the fall, but, unfortunately, I can't afford to keep her spot open all summer, so we can either have her attend half-time and have you pay for that, or, you can risk it. What do ya think?" If she looks confused, say "hey, I know you'll want to think about it. How about we talk again later in the week?" That way, she can digest it, and maybe even ask around to see what other teachers are paying. She may get an eye-opener, or not, but you've given her the opportunity to think about it.

Put it back on her...but stand your ground. That's not bait-and-switch, honey. It's you keeping your business afloat.
Thank you, thank you! This is the exact type of wisdom I am needing to hear right now. This, and BC and some of the others' wisdom is what I need to hear. Thanks everyone.
Shell 04:24 PM 04-22-2014
This is me, too. But, learn from my experience. I let dcm (a family of two doctors) go an entire summer (it happened to be a maternity leave, but same duration you are thinking of) without paying, for two kids. On top of this, when she returned, I let her choose the days her kids came (rotating schedule), and I gave her a discount of over $40/week because she cried poverty, medical school debt, etc.

Then, when I couldn't be as flexible with them, they gave their notice Learned my lesson the hard way. If I could do it over again, I would have made her pay for at least 3 days, but I was doing her a favor

I agree with what people are saying above. Explain that although you really enjoy having the family here, you have to have steady income. Give them the option of 3 days/week, or they can try back in the fall to see if you have space. I know it is scary thinking they might not return, and if you can't fill the spot over the summer, you may feel like you are losing double here, but you have to look out for your business. I would also start advertising.
itlw8 05:00 PM 04-22-2014
for all you know she is not coming back in the fall you contracted for the school year. And yes it is likely when the child is older they will not comeback but go to a preschool in the fall

My teachers come 2 or 3 set days in the summer but not infants. I can only have 2 so they are full time unless I OFFER to have a lighter summer
So I would say do you plan on coming back in the fall ? If she says yes I say I require $50 a week to hold it but they need to be set days and the week of the 4th you only get 1 day
drseuss 02:36 PM 05-12-2014
I finally had the conversation with my dcm. I have been worried about how she would take it. She basically just said oh, we just planned on paying through the summer. Uh... okay. I am sure that I was red as a beet. Felt like passing out having that conversation. What I put myself through. Thanks for all your input gals.
CraftyMom 02:51 PM 05-12-2014
I finally had the conversation with my dcm. I have been worried about how she would take it. She basically just said oh, we just planned on paying through the summer. Uh... okay. I am sure that I was red as a beet. Felt like passing out having that conversation. What I put myself through. Thanks for all your input gals.
Sometimes we get ourselves worked up over nothing

So what was your conversation about? Did you offer her to pay half the week and she assumed she was paying the full week?
drseuss 03:02 PM 05-12-2014
I reminded her that her contract expires at the end of the school year, and asked her what her intentions were. I told her that we were in a bit of a spot, regarding her baby's spot here at daycare. She just said oh, we planned on continuing to pay you through the summer. So I totally had myself worked up over what turned out to be nothing.
Laurel 03:14 PM 05-12-2014

MarinaVanessa 03:16 PM 05-12-2014
I reminded her that her contract expires at the end of the school year, and asked her what her intentions were. I told her that we were in a bit of a spot, regarding her baby's spot here at daycare. She just said oh, we planned on continuing to pay you through the summer. So I totally had myself worked up over what turned out to be nothing.
Lesson learned though and now you have the experience of what to do if this issue arises again . Things worked out for you and that's great so now just make sure you include a little blurb about this in your handbook/contract or at least remember to bring it up the next time you have a teacher as a client
CraftyMom 07:44 PM 05-12-2014
I'm glad it worked out and you won't lose the income over the summer!
Tags:holding a spot, holding spot
Reply Up