Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program Milk
284878 11:02 AM 07-01-2015
I just got a visit from the food program woman and she told me that I am no longer allowed to use 2% milk for under 2 year. That it must be D milk for 2 years and under, effective a few months ago. (I have been closed for a few months, her reason for not telling me)

Is this true?
Thriftylady 11:09 AM 07-01-2015
I am not on the FP now, but it wouldn't surprise me. DCM just told me wic gives whole milk until age 4.
Blackcat31 11:19 AM 07-01-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
I just got a visit from the food program woman and she told me that I am no longer allowed to use 2% milk for under 2 year. That it must be D milk, effective a few months ago. (I have been closed for a few months, her reason for not telling me)

Is this true?
"Milk served must be low-fat (1%) or non-fat (skim) for children ages 2 years and older and adults."

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cacfp/meals-and-snacks
284878 12:07 PM 07-01-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
"Milk served must be low-fat (1%) or non-fat (skim) for children ages 2 years and older and adults."

yes but what about under 2 years. I was told 2% or D and she says D only.
284878 12:08 PM 07-01-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I am not on the FP now, but it wouldn't surprise me. DCM just told me wic gives whole milk until age 4.
My DD has wic, for this state, that is untrue. My DD gets 1% or FF as of last September. (for ages 2 and older)
Thriftylady 12:09 PM 07-01-2015
I am guessing that they are saying that whole milk is used for under 2 with that statement. However, I can see where it would be up to interpretation.
Blackcat31 12:30 PM 07-01-2015
All milk contains vitamin D

Skim or nonfat milk has the same nutritional value as whole milk — with no fat. Since the fat portion of whole milk does not contain calcium, you can lose the fat without losing any calcium.

Reduced-fat (2%), low-fat (1%), and nonfat milk have vitamin A and vitamin D added, since these vitamins are lost when the fat is removed.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that all children 2 years of age and older drink low-fat or nonfat milk.

Ages 1-2 I believe are to have whole milk.

Our WIC provides whole milk only until age 2 unless there is a medical reason a child requires the additional fat content.

HTH
Thriftylady 01:19 PM 07-01-2015
I wonder if my DCM was wrong then. I questioned her on it but she swore to it. Of course DCG is only 1 so it is possible she has no idea what she is talking about.
mom2many 02:34 PM 07-01-2015
I was told by my food program that under 2 can be on the 1%, but that they "recommend" whole milk for the younger ones. I always have both, because my family prefers the whole milk and that's what I serve to those under 2.
MarinaVanessa 02:47 PM 07-01-2015
I think I understand what you mean by vitamin D milk ... the food program changed last year and wanted whole milk served to kids under the age of two and 2% for the ones age 2 and older (it could have been changed to 1% and I don't know about it, I'm not on the food program currently).

I'm out of the loop for changes made from about August of last year until now so I would check the FP guidelines again just to make sure.
Unregistered 04:28 PM 07-01-2015
Our food program tells us 12months-23 months whole milk, on child's 2nd birthday and up 1% or fat free milk only. A year or two ago they no longer allowed 2% for 2 and up.
AmyKidsCo 08:05 PM 07-01-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

There is no requirement for under-twos.

They recommend whole milk, but it's not a formal rule. The only rules are formula only until 12 months, then 1% or skim for 24 mos and older.

My favorite response: "Show me where it says that in the manual."
284878 05:22 AM 07-02-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
There is no requirement for under-twos.

They recommend whole milk, but it's not a formal rule. The only rules are formula only until 12 months, then 1% or skim for 24 mos and older.

My favorite response: "Show me where it says that in the manual."
Thank you, I should of said that, "show me." She claimed the change happened while i was closed, that is why i was not told. I got other info sent to me whilei was closed, why not this.
Later she went on to say the only mid season change is cereal, must be whole wheat. So I have a feeling that it is not a rule but a personal choice either her or this program has.

As a family, we drink 2% (which were I buy milk, there are more rows of 2% the anything else), then dck get 1% (one store I shop does not carry 1%). I buy 3 gallons at one time, I don't want to purchase another gallon of milk for a 15 month old that may only drink 8 oz a day.

I will argue it if I have too. When I sign last fall she wrote on my papers D or 2% milk for 2 and under and I went to the link bc posted a did a search and can not find anything for 2 and under.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 08:37 AM 07-02-2015
In Ohio state regs for licensing say whole - food program says parental choice 2% or whole.. So I had followed my food lady was using 2% and was found non compliant by the state... so whole!
melilley 10:11 AM 07-02-2015
Thank you, I should of said that, "show me." She claimed the change happened while i was closed, that is why i was not told. I got other info sent to me whilei was closed, why not this.
Later she went on to say the only mid season change is cereal, must be whole wheat. So I have a feeling that it is not a rule but a personal choice either her or this program has.

As a family, we drink 2% (which were I buy milk, there are more rows of 2% the anything else), then dck get 1% (one store I shop does not carry 1%). I buy 3 gallons at one time, I don't want to purchase another gallon of milk for a 15 month old that may only drink 8 oz a day.

I will argue it if I have too. When I sign last fall she wrote on my papers D or 2% milk for 2 and under and I went to the link bc posted a did a search and can not find anything for 2 and under.
Cereal does not have to be whole wheat, it must be a whole grain, but doesn't have to be wheat.
284878 12:51 PM 07-02-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
Cereal does not have to be whole wheat, it must be a whole grain, but doesn't have to be wheat.
I meant whole grain.
Reply Up