Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Seagulls
Poptarts22 07:42 AM 08-23-2016
The last couple kids that have come into my daycare are so food obsessed. The one child is 22 mo and weighs 52 lbs. yes, you read that right. His mom comes every morning at 6 am and delivers him with a sippy cup of Pepsi...which I promptly dump and replace with water. He is constantly watching for any food-if I so much as let him see me chewing gum he screams for it. Anything I have he will come and want some of, which starts all the kids huddled around me asking for some. They all came back in the playroom from snack time and I was eating a cooking (exact same kind they JUST had). 3 of the 5 children lined up around me wanting some. They all just had 3 bakery-sized oatmeal raisin cookies with milk but still wanted mine. Mealtimes I offer them seconds and even thirds if they still are hungry. They also get mid morning and mid afternoon snacks. I feel like I always have seagulls flying around me trying to get whatever I have.
Unregistered 10:18 AM 08-23-2016
I eat around my dcks all the time. To the "seagulls" I say, "Nope. Go play."

They can cry all they want. I get to eat too, even if it's yummier than their snack. Even if they had apples and I get a candy bar.
Cat Herder 10:26 AM 08-23-2016
It is possible to be overfed and hungry. It is possible to be overweight and malnourished.

Cookies, water, milk or pepsi will never leave a child feeling full.

My bet is the kids would stop this behavior with a consistent routine of complete balanced meals.

Have you tried offering more fresh fruits, veggies and lean proteins to offset what they are eating at home. USDA guidelines.
Poptarts22 11:15 AM 08-23-2016
Yep. My lunch menu follows the same calendar as the elementary school in our town. I serve the same thing on the same day. Only difference is that my husband is a beef and hog farmer and we also raise chickens. All meat and veggies are grown right here.
Cat Herder 11:39 AM 08-23-2016
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
Yep. My lunch menu follows the same calendar as the elementary school in our town. I serve the same thing on the same day. Only difference is that my husband is a beef and hog farmer and we also raise chickens. All meat and veggies are grown right here.
Nice.
Mike 02:41 PM 08-23-2016
Fresh food. We need a drooling icon.

You can't do much about their home feeding, but you can control what and how much they eat at your place, and you're allowed to eat in front of them. They will get used to the difference between your place and home.
284878 06:54 AM 08-24-2016
The last couple kids that have come into my daycare are so food obsessed. The one child is 22 mo and weighs 52 lbs. yes, you read that right. His mom comes every morning at 6 am and delivers him with a sippy cup of Pepsi...which I promptly dump and replace with water. He is constantly watching for any food-if I so much as let him see me chewing gum he screams for it. Anything I have he will come and want some of, which starts all the kids huddled around me asking for some. They all came back in the playroom from snack time and I was eating a cooking (exact same kind they JUST had). 3 of the 5 children lined up around me wanting some. They all just had 3 bakery-sized oatmeal raisin cookies with milk but still wanted mine. Mealtimes I offer them seconds and even thirds if they still are hungry. They also get mid morning and mid afternoon snacks. I feel like I always have seagulls flying around me trying to get whatever I have.
Why are the kids eating 3 bakery sized oatmeal raisin cookies for a snack if you have fresh vegetables or fruits available?
Tags:meals provided, nutrition, usda food program
Reply Up