Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting child out of crib, napping with older kids...
MaritimeMummy 07:02 AM 08-08-2012
I have SO many questions lately, LOL. Since I've found this forum things keep popping into my head and I am sure I could flood the messageboard but trying to keep my questions low!

So, my current question: what age would you transition a child from naps in a crib whenever they are tired to a set nap with the older kids on a nap mat?

Part-time DCG is 21 months old and I have a portable crib for her. I have zero space in my house to keep it up when she's not here, so I have to collapse it and jimmy it under my bed. It's a huge hassle to mess with it each time, but I was okay with it because she was only coming 2 afternoons a week for a half day, and sometimes wouldn't even nap with me.

...that was the arrangement we had, at FIRST. Then slowly, I am not even sure how it happened, she started coming for full days 2-3 days a week. Then I had the request from her mom if we could have set part-time days, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Hmm, sure.

Now she's looking for 5 days a week. It's getting super frustrating to haul that sucker of a crib out, set it up, take it down, and stow it away every single day even at 3 days a week. 5 days a week is going to be a nightmare.

So not only do I want her to start napping on a mat and give the crib back to the daycare agency so it's out of my house and not eating up precious space, but I also want her on the same nap schedule as my 3 year old daughter and 2.5 year old FT DCG. Now that she's coming here more often I CAN implement this, but I just don't know how I can start or what I need to do. Any pointers? Right now, 21-month-old DCG has to nap in a room by herself, very quiet, very dark, with soft music.

My own daughter has trouble settling down to nap and plays and sings for about 10 minutes, but it's fine because the 2.5 year old DCG falls asleep and sleeps heavy from the moment her head hits the pillow. So I know my DD will keep 21Month DCG awake. And if I have DD fall asleep in the room before 21month DCG, I know 21month DCG will wake DD up. I looked at this from all angles and not sure what to do or how to start!
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 08-08-2012
I transistion my DCK's around 12 months to a nap mat. Some kids go easiely and others take a few weeks. It is all a matter of consistency and routine for me. I don't budge and will simply rinse and repeat until I get the desired results.

I use audio books at nap time, which help the oler ones make it through nap time and helps the littles settle in. I keep the volume lower so they really have to lie still to listen.

I have several books on one CD so they last the whole nap time. This helps when you also have kids who only nap for a short time. If they wake up, they can just lie still on their mat and listen to the story until rest time is over.

Here is another recent thread about the same topic. https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48349
Nickel 07:29 AM 08-08-2012
I also transition at 12 months.
MaritimeMummy 07:49 AM 08-08-2012
Do you guys just make the transition cold turkey or is there a gradual transition?

And do you nap the kids in a room away from the main play area? I'd like to do that but my only problem is that I still have my 14 month old son and a 19 month old who sleeps according to their own schedules, so they may be awake during the older kid's nap time. I have never been able to get my son on a sleep schedule, I'm lucky he naps at all!

19-month -old sleeps on a sleep mat great. I'm sure he'd be no problem to switch to the older kid's nap time.

My son would create a bit of a challenge though... I couldn't imagine at 14 months him being able to sleep on a mat at a certain time of the day.
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 08-08-2012
Originally Posted by MaritimeMummy:
Do you guys just make the transition cold turkey or is there a gradual transition?

I try to make the change when we have a couple quieter days in a row. If that isn't possible, I just go cold-turkey.

And do you nap the kids in a room away from the main play area?
My kids also transistion to one nap per day at the same age. I usually only have one child on a different nap schedule than the others.

I'd like to do that but my only problem is that I still have my 14 month old son and a 19 month old who sleeps according to their own schedules, so they may be awake during the older kid's nap time. I have never been able to get my son on a sleep schedule, I'm lucky he naps at all!

19-month -old sleeps on a sleep mat great. I'm sure he'd be no problem to switch to the older kid's nap time.

My son would create a bit of a challenge though... I couldn't imagine at 14 months him being able to sleep on a mat at a certain time of the day.
I answered in blue. My kids nap all in one area. If I have a day where everyone is especially wiggly, I will use two rooms and space them out.
Reply Up