Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questions about licensing rules in MN
Unregistered 11:54 AM 08-18-2014
I heard a story about a situation that happened at a daycare and am wondering if the "rules" she broke are actually rules. This person had an infant on the floor(forgot to ask how old) and was making lunch within sight. Another child bit the infant and drew blood. She immediately ran to pick up the infant and rocked her to comfort her and shortly after the child fell asleep. She then called the parent, her licensor, and documented the incident. The parent of the infant decided to take her in to the doctor to get the bite checked. The doctor asked about where it occurred and found out it happened at daycare. The doctor then told mom the he was a mandated reporter and needed to report the incident. When the provider was asked to explain what happened, she told the social worker. They told her that her license was being suspended because she never should of had the infant on the floor. They said that infants can only be in pack n plays or cribs when around other children so that the others don't have access to the infant. My question is, is this true? Also she was told that she broke another rule when she rocked the child to sleep. She was told that a provider cannot rock a child to sleep. They said you always have to put an infant down in a pack n play or crib to fall asleep on their own. Is this true? I have never heard of or read about either of these things being rules or something you can get into trouble for doing.
SignMeUp 12:26 PM 08-18-2014
My guess is that she could be cited for lack of supervision, which I think is now considered neglect also.

At times it feels like our hands are tied. Do not "contain" them, but do not allow other kids to have access.
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 08-18-2014
Infant rules in MN state just that an infant must sleep in a crib or PNP with a firm mattress only. NO blankets.

Infants can not sleep anywhere other than the crib/PNP.

They CAN be awake on the floor. WITH access by the other kids (although I would not allow the other kids access) it is not against the rules.

The biting incident is that if a child requires medical attention for an injury, the provider MUST report the incident to licensing within 24 hours I believe (NOT positive on time frame but it is right away)

If I were the provider and was told my license was being suspended for something, I would WANT to SEE what rule (in writing) that I was in violation of. Odd that her license would be suspended when most times just a correction order is given.

Suspensions are something you can look up on the licensing look up site here:
http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idcp...Name=id_054422

Also here is a link to the licensing rules in MN...you can read the exact rules here: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=9502
Unregistered 01:13 PM 08-18-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Infant rules in MN state just that an infant must sleep in a crib or PNP with a firm mattress only. NO blankets.

Infants can not sleep anywhere other than the crib/PNP.

They CAN be awake on the floor. WITH access by the other kids (although I would not allow the other kids access) it is not against the rules.

The biting incident is that if a child requires medical attention for an injury, the provider MUST report the incident to licensing within 24 hours I believe (NOT positive on time frame but it is right away)

If I were the provider and was told my license was being suspended for something, I would WANT to SEE what rule (in writing) that I was in violation of. Odd that her license would be suspended when most times just a correction order is given.

Suspensions are something you can look up on the licensing look up site here:
http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idcp...Name=id_054422

Also here is a link to the licensing rules in MN...you can read the exact rules here: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=9502

Thanks for all the information. I am aware that infants must sleep in a pack n play or crib w/o any bedding etc. I am just wondering about if you can rock an infant who is awake until they fall asleep and then place them in a pack n play?
Blackcat31 01:35 PM 08-18-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thanks for all the information. I am aware that infants must sleep in a pack n play or crib w/o any bedding etc. I am just wondering about if you can rock an infant who is awake until they fall asleep and then place them in a pack n play?
Yes, you can absolutely rock an infant to sleep and then put them in the crib as soon as they are asleep.

Most of our training says that rocking a baby IS respectful and responsive care for an infant so I am going to say that there is NO rule saying you can't rock an infant to sleep.

If the provider is being cited for that, she needs to ask the licensor to show her the rule that says she can't.

I would never accept a citation if the licensor could not show me the rule in writing that says I can't do something or have to do it a certain way.

Out of curiosity, I am wondering if you are you a provider or parent or just a friend in this situation?
SignMeUp 03:08 PM 08-18-2014
It would be interesting to know what county this occurred in. In mine, I can totally see a situation where the doctor calls it in, being taken very seriously. And then every possible violation being added on.
Baby on blanket on floor, if this is baby's "tummy time", the expectation is close supervision at every second. So it could depend partly on baby's age and developmental level. This could lead to a charge of lack of supervision/neglect.
The wording for sleep is to be in a proper environment "as soon as practical" or something subjective like that. This leaves a lot open to interpretation by licensing.
Not saying it will always play out this way, but it might.
Unregistered 04:13 PM 08-18-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, you can absolutely rock an infant to sleep and then put them in the crib as soon as they are asleep.

Most of our training says that rocking a baby IS respectful and responsive care for an infant so I am going to say that there is NO rule saying you can't rock an infant to sleep.

If the provider is being cited for that, she needs to ask the licensor to show her the rule that says she can't.

I would never accept a citation if the licensor could not show me the rule in writing that says I can't do something or have to do it a certain way.

Out of curiosity, I am wondering if you are you a provider or parent or just a friend in this situation?
This situation happened to a friend of one of my friends. I am also a provider and was wanting clarification because I have rocked infants to sleep on several occasions and had older babies on the floor with other children around them. It was just scary to me to hear of this situation and know that I have done both of these things.
Angelsj 04:19 PM 08-18-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This situation happened to a friend of one of my friends. I am also a provider and was wanting clarification because I have rocked infants to sleep on several occasions and had older babies on the floor with other children around them. It was just scary to me to hear of this situation and know that I have done both of these things.
I also do both of those things. The age of the baby does matter though. I would not be out of reach range for an infant that is unable to move off of a blanket. Essentially a non crawler. But I don't think it is a particular rule, and it definitely is NOT a rule that an infant cannot be within access of other children, that you cannot rock them to sleep or that they cannot be on the floor. My licensor was here for all of those things, and she was very happy with how they were cared for here.
Reply Up