Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Introvert or Extrovert?
AmyKidsCo 09:14 AM 09-02-2014
Just out of curiosity:

1. Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
2. Do you work alone or with others?

I'm curious to see if there's a correlation.

I'm an introvert and work alone in my FCC program.
Annalee 09:20 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Just out of curiosity:

I am an extrovert and work with my mom, but would lower my numbers if she decided to quit....would NOT work with anyone else all day long.

While I may be reserved at times till I get comfortable in a situation, I am outgoing and hardly ever meet a stranger.
TheGoodLife 09:24 AM 09-02-2014
1. I am an extrovert stuck in an introvert's body I have always been very shy and I believe I have social anxiety, but have always wanted to be more extroverted and outgoing!
2. I am license exempt (so keep small numbers) and work by myself, but was a teacher prior to daycare and have always worked with others before this.
MsLisa 09:28 AM 09-02-2014
Only child super introvert. I don't like people. Just kids and animals.
I work alone.

All this will be forced to change since tonight is my 1st ECE class in college.
Blackcat31 09:29 AM 09-02-2014
I'm an extrovert.

I work alone. Other than my DH who comes in over the lunch period.

Like Annalee....I've never met a stranger.

I make friends with clerks, customer service reps and anyone who happens to be standing next to me.
Blackcat31 09:31 AM 09-02-2014
Just out of curiosity:

You should make your thread a poll if you want to tally the number of introverts/extroverts and whether they work alone or not.

If you do want a poll and need help setting it up, let me know.
Laurel 09:41 AM 09-02-2014
Just out of curiosity:

I am officially an introvert because my daughter is certified in the Myers Briggs personality evaluation and gave me the test. (I'm an INFJ for anyone who is familiar with this)

I am retired but used to work alone but, for several years, had a part time helper. We got along great though.

I have also worked in schools and was more than fine. I loved it actually.

I really enjoyed both for different reasons.

Laurel
crazydaycarelady 09:56 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by :
Me too! Only I only like some kids some of the time! LOL

I have an assistant but for me the most important quality for my assistant to have is being someone who I can be myself around.

I am very friendly with clerks, customer service people, even strangers but I don't walk away with plans for lunch. I have a hard time making friends and letting someone into my life.
Blackcat31 09:58 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I am officially an introvert because my daughter is certified in the Myers Briggs personality evaluation and gave me the test. (I'm an INFJ for anyone who is familiar with this)

I am retired but used to work alone but, for several years, had a part time helper. We got along great though.

Laurel
We did this in college. VERY interesting.
Josiegirl 09:58 AM 09-02-2014
Introvert here and I work blissfully alone. I had my 21 yo dd work with me a summer ago and that was great but couldn't do it with anyone else.
BabyMonkeys 09:58 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by MsLisa:
Me too. I also limit my ages to under 2 because I'm not overly fond of kids either!
midaycare 10:09 AM 09-02-2014
I'm both, it just depends on my mood. I've worked with a lot of people, or just a few. Right now it's me and the kids.
melilley 10:16 AM 09-02-2014
Is there a term for someone who is both?

I can be an extrovert at times and an introvert at times. It really depends on my mood. One day I could go to, say a store, and talk to anyone and be fine and other times I don't want to talk to anyone.

I work alone, but often wish I could work with someone.
MotherNature 10:36 AM 09-02-2014
I'm an introvert..only child, work alone, and am also an INFJ..rarest of the types.
DaveA 10:53 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by MsLisa:
I work alone.
Minus the only child part this is me.
spinnymarie 10:54 AM 09-02-2014
Definitely introverted. I work with my sister and my mom.
e.j. 11:11 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
1. I am an extrovert stuck in an introvert's body
Same here. I'd love to be more outgoing and sometimes I can be, depending on the situation. For the most part, though, I tend to be more on the quiet and reserved side. I used to work in retail and in a busy customer service department and enjoyed interacting with co-workers and the general public. I've worked alone for going on 19 years and find that I prefer working alone more.
BrooklynM 11:15 AM 09-02-2014
I am both as well. I think anyone that knows me would say I'm an extrovert, but I do like my alone time since I was also an only child. Even if I am not doing anything sometimes I just like to have some alone time. I work alone, I do miss co-workers though. I still keep in touch with some of my old co-workers though and one of them is even now a client!

Sometimes at pickup I can get a bit chatty with some of the parents, lol. I feel like a caged animal. I'm constantly talking to the DCK's. Even when I'm cooking I tell them what I'm doing like I'm on a cooking show. OK, now I seem a bit crazy!
Sunshine74 11:15 AM 09-02-2014
I don't really know what I am. I am definitely not outgoing, I do not make friends easily- though I wish I could. But at the same time, I hate being alone. I work at a center, my sister is my co teacher.
MsLisa 01:38 PM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
I am both as well. I think anyone that knows me would say I'm an extrovert, but I do like my alone time since I was also an only child. Even if I am not doing anything sometimes I just like to have some alone time. I work alone, I do miss co-workers though. I still keep in touch with some of my old co-workers though and one of them is even now a client!

Sometimes at pickup I can get a bit chatty with some of the parents, lol. I feel like a caged animal. I'm constantly talking to the DCK's. Even when I'm cooking I tell them what I'm doing like I'm on a cooking show. OK, now I seem a bit crazy!
This is me when I'm forced to talk to people even remotely my age. I get almost over eager, over share and just verbal throw up everywhere. Then cringe afterwards.
OR I go observation mode, yet I turn away from people (unknowingly) and have a "relaxed b*tch face". I've been called "unapproachable" a few times. Really, i'm just socially inept.

Kids though, kids think i'm funny, amazing, smart and I love them. I could talk to kids all day.
KiddieCahoots 02:45 PM 09-02-2014
Introvert.
Was painfully an introvert as a child, and not just shy.
Work alone.
But something about this job has really changed me
For the most part, I like talking to people now.
NightOwl 03:18 PM 09-02-2014
Introvert disguised as an extrovert. I work alone and wouldn't have it any other way.
SignMeUp 03:19 PM 09-02-2014
I work alone. Have for three decades. When other providers talk about the "common" feeling of isolation among child care providers,
I am like
Heidi 03:23 PM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm an extrovert.

I work alone. Other than my DH who comes in over the lunch period.

Like Annalee....I've never met a stranger.

I make friends with clerks, customer service reps and anyone who happens to be standing next to me.
That's me, too. When BC and I talk on the phone, we pretty much battle for vocal time. Someone who could hear both sides of the conversation would probably laugh their heads off. Then all the sudden, it's "Gotta go...call you later..."

Oh, and work alone. I love other people, but I hate drama and I hate being bossed around. So, I'm better off alone with frequent visitors.
Heidi 03:25 PM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Introvert disguised as an extrovert. I work alone and wouldn't have it any other way.
That's my dh, and he sells cars for a living! I am the only one who knows he's a closet introvert.
laloolee 05:01 PM 09-02-2014
I find this topic fascinating. Took the Myers Brigg years ago and I fell exactly between the two halves of the number line. Turns out there is a coined term for being a little of both. The ambivert.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddis...the-ambiverts/
laloolee 05:10 PM 09-02-2014
Laurel, I'm an INFJ too!
choirlady76 05:52 PM 09-02-2014
I'm an introvert and work with my aide. However, I have at times worked alone and prefer it.
hoopinglady 06:17 PM 09-02-2014
mostly. I work with two other women and we get along well. My partner is much more charismatic and friendly which I think has allowed my/our business to be more successful.

She just doesn't understand why I won't go out with her on the weekend. Ugh. lol

I love having people to work with. This job is very hard and I did it alone for years. I MUCH prefer having back up.
Crazy8 06:29 PM 09-02-2014
I am an introvert and run my daycare alone. I often say I do this job because I only like people under the age of 4.

I hate having to go out for social events and absolutely need my time to recoup afterwards.
Heidi 07:55 PM 09-02-2014
Weird, when I looked at this earlier, I didnt' see any of the Myer's/Briggs stuff.

My dh and I did this as part of our premarital counseling. We are exact opposites. I'm Extrovert, Inuitive, Feeling, Perceiving and he's Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, Judging. Not only are we opposites, but we're the first couple in the pastor's experience to correctly guess our own traits as well as each others on top of that.

If you're interested, here's a link to the personality test:

http://www.16personalities.com/test-results

Just for fun, I did it again, and got the same results. I took it at training once and...same thing. I guess it's accurate!

http://www.16personalities.com/enfp-personality

Yep, that's me!
SignMeUp 08:41 PM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Weird, when I looked at this earlier, I didnt' see any of the Myer's/Briggs stuff.

My dh and I did this as part of our premarital counseling. We are exact opposites. I'm Extrovert, Inuitive, Feeling, Perceiving and he's Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, Judging. Not only are we opposites, but we're the first couple in the pastor's experience to correctly guess our own traits as well as each others on top of that.

Just for fun, I did it again, and got the same results. I took it at training once and...same thing. I guess it's accurate!

Yep, that's me!
Hmm. I am an INFJ, like a couple of others. It says this combination is held by less than 1% of people. Maybe a high percentage of providers though
Of course, this is just the quickie version of the personality inventory, right?
Sunshine74 09:49 PM 09-02-2014

Yep, that's me!
Thanks. I took mine and it said INFP.
MsLisa 06:07 AM 09-03-2014

Yep, that's me!
I'm a ISFJ.
They basically described me 1000%.
craftymissbeth 06:19 AM 09-03-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:

Laurel
Me too!

I had pretty bad social anxiety as a child through high school. In 6th grade, we moved to a new town and I literally sat at the back of the classroom bawling my eyes out and having panic attacks. When I had my son 7 years ago, it was like a light switched... my anxiety is MUCH less now and I make it a point to start conversations with strangers.

EDIT: Oops, I guess I had mine mixed up. I'm an INFP, not INFJ... but I'm right in between the P and the J so it's possible maybe that I'm a little of both? idk
http://www.16personalities.com/infp-personality
Baby Beluga 06:30 AM 09-03-2014
I'm an introvert and work alone. Although, to be fair when I worked in a center with others I was still an introvert.
Blackcat31 06:49 AM 09-03-2014

Yep, that's me!

I got ESTP

You are one of the Explorers - a bold and freedom-loving individual who enjoys pushing the limits and exploring the unknown. You are known for your ingenuity, social skills and ability to improvise.

ESTPs are full of passion and energy, complimented by a rational, if sometimes distracted, mind. Inspiring, convincing and colorful, they are natural group leaders, pulling everyone along the path less traveled, bringing life and excitement everywhere they go.
AmyKidsCo 07:10 AM 09-03-2014
You should make your thread a poll if you want to tally the number of introverts/extroverts and whether they work alone or not.

If you do want a poll and need help setting it up, let me know.
Nah, but thanks. I'm more interested in reading peoples comments than the actual numbers.
Heidi 07:23 AM 09-03-2014
I got ESTP

You are one of the Explorers - a bold and freedom-loving individual who enjoys pushing the limits and exploring the unknown. You are known for your ingenuity, social skills and ability to improvise.

ESTPs are full of passion and energy, complimented by a rational, if sometimes distracted, mind. Inspiring, convincing and colorful, they are natural group leaders, pulling everyone along the path less traveled, bringing life and excitement everywhere they go.
If he'll do it, get your DH to take the survey. Even after a million years of marriage, I bet you'll have and "aha!" moment.
daycare_jen 08:52 AM 09-03-2014
I am also an INFJ. I work alone with a small number of dcks (purposely.) When I worked in a center, I would feel soooo drained by the end of the day and didn't feel like I was able to be there for my own kids because I really needed some alone time. Working in my home, I don't feel that way when I'm done for the day.
daycare 08:59 AM 09-03-2014
depends.

if it is within the childcare I am extrovert.

Among other social settings I don't talk much at all

I have 3 assistants
CedarCreek 09:26 AM 09-03-2014
I took the test and I'm an ESFP. So, Extrovert!

When I did daycare, I worked alone.

Now, it's just me and my boss in the office. It's nice to have someone to talk to but then sometimes, I'd rather be alone.

In social settings, i wouldnt say I'm "the life of the party" but I am a talker. To anyone.
renodeb 10:54 AM 09-03-2014
I' am a total extrovert and I work alone. I do things a certain way and just don't trust anyone else to do it the way I'm used to and the kids are used to. In the summer my 12 year old daughter helps me (the kids love her) an other than that. Its just me. I don't like the feeling of isolation so I make it a point to get out of the house after work. My daughter plays softball so thats a great outlet for me as I volunteer there.
renodeb 11:48 AM 09-03-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
I work alone. Have for three decades. When other providers talk about the "common" feeling of isolation among child care providers,
I am like
I hear that, when people ask me if this job feels isolating I tell them it can be if you let it. I dont let it!
Deb
Laurel 04:10 PM 09-03-2014
Originally Posted by laloolee:
Laurel, I'm an INFJ too!
Hey, cool! Like someone else said, it is supposed to be the rarest type.

Laurel
Laurel 04:14 PM 09-03-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Hmm. I am an INFJ, like a couple of others. It says this combination is held by less than 1% of people. Maybe a high percentage of providers though
Of course, this is just the quickie version of the personality inventory, right?
Yes, it is the quickie version but still fun. The long version is a lot of questions and you can ask the test giver to clarify things for you.

Laurel
AmyKidsCo 07:22 PM 09-03-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Is there a term for someone who is both?

I can be an extrovert at times and an introvert at times. It really depends on my mood. One day I could go to, say a store, and talk to anyone and be fine and other times I don't want to talk to anyone.

I work alone, but often wish I could work with someone.
According to the book I'm currently reading, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking there is - Ambivert.
MyAngels 08:09 PM 09-03-2014

Yep, that's me!
Always the skeptic, I took this test - thinking yeah right the whole time

It gave me ISFJ which describes me to a T - go figure

I'm an introvert, but still a very sociable person, if that makes sense. I work alone and wouldn't enjoy working with anyone else after all these years.
SSWonders 07:07 AM 09-04-2014
Introvert and I work alone, but it hasn't always been that way. I have/ and occasionally still do use assistants. I prefer working with another person in this business.
llpa 07:29 AM 09-04-2014
I am like pps that are both. Sometimes I can't wait to get out and socialize. Other times I don't even want to make the effort. I never wish for a co worker tho. Love being in charge and alone i do stay in touch with previous co workers from my life before owning a childcare business.
Reply Up