Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>23 mo dcg
daycarediva 10:29 AM 10-15-2015
Started Monday. It was the best interview out of 8! No red flags. Parents moved from out of state and dcg had been in dc FT previously. 7-4 schedule.

Day 1 Mom dropped the 'she takes an am nap' bomb. DESPITE me telling her our schedule and her promising to get her on that at home for the week before she started. It's even in my handbook that kids have to meet certain criteria, despite age, to enroll. Eg. walking well, self feeding, sitting at meals, down to one nap, etc.

I tell dcm we will see, and that I expected her to be on our schedule.

Dropped off, no tears. She's MISERABLE by 9. Literally freaking out. I get her calmed and lay her down. SCREECH FEST. I let it continue with checking on her for 30 minutes. Finally I just took her out. At that point if she had fallen asleep we wouldn't have been able to go outside before lunch, other kids were sick of the screaming, etc.

Pm nap was more of the same- moved her to the opposite end of the house, put her down before everyone else. Screamed on/off through our entire nap.

Ask Mom....rocked to sleep. I tell her I CANNOT replicate that. Give her my routine. Mom says she will try it.

Day 2.

Fussing at drop off. Didn't even attempt an AM nap. Screamed through nap. Slept a total of MAYBE 30 minutes on/off.

Day 3.

Same as day 2.

Day 4.

screamed for 25 minutes (I put ds's laptop in there with a webcam hooked up so I am watching her the entire time). fell asleep for 45 minutes- woke up screaming. fell asleep for 15 minutes- woke up screaming.

PHEW. I have star on the calendar. I can't close the door (regs) so it's cracked and the sound carries despite several fans on, white noise machine, music in that room with her AND books on cd for the older kids.
daycarediva 10:34 AM 10-15-2015
If she sees me it gets WAY worse. There are NO tears- just a VERY ticked off toddler. She's currently shaking the daylights out of the pack and play and stomping her feet as she screams.

She also has a speech delay, I believe. Mom said she has a bunch of words- I've heard her saying NOTHING. She's happy, comfortable and participating/playing nicely the rest of the day.

My only other issue is getting up/down from her chair (chair with buckles ordered ) and trying to carry her water cup around. All fixable.
ChelseaB 10:35 AM 10-15-2015
YIKES!

Hopefully she gets it and settles into the routine! But I can't see that happening unless mom is actually enforcing your requirements at home.

Do you have a time frame for improvement before possibly having to terminate? No one deserves to endure days like those!
Reply Up