Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop-Ins
KristinsHomeCC 10:14 AM 12-04-2015
When you all say "drop in rate"... does it mean a child you've never watched before? Like...if a family had a last min. Emergency and knew of your FHCC..is that the type of drop in care you allow??

Or is it a family that's been interviewed before and only needs care every now and then?

I had someone ask me at 6a.m. this morning through a text if she could drop her daughter off with me, Emergency. She's never even met me. Of course I said no, sorry, doesn't work that way.

But it made me wonder what you describe '"drop in care as..."
childcaremom 10:45 AM 12-04-2015
I advertise for drop in for a number of reasons: current provider is sick and closed, on holiday, moms with appointments, etc. If someone contacts me about future care possibilities, then I would set up an appt to meet them and go over a few things.

For me, personally, I prefer to have met the family prior. I would also have paperwork to email them and have them fill out prior to drop off. I know some parents don't have that luxury and are often out of luck with care last minute so I would accept that but ask plenty of questions prior to drop off (allergies, normal care situation - in home, centre, etc, daily schedule, pick up and drop off times, etc). I would also verify why they needed care (current provider is sick rather than dck is sick sort of thing). I would ensure ALL paperwork is filled out completely and money received at drop off.

I've only done drop in once, it was someone from my waitlist who ended up with a different provider who was closed due to illness, so someone more experienced with it may have more insight.
Ariana 10:47 AM 12-04-2015
I only provide drop in services for families already enrolled because I do part-time care. So if they needed and extra day or hour I provide that if I am available.

I personally wouldn't provide drop in care for someone I've never met but I am sure lots of people do it, especially around the holidays.
LysesKids 10:50 AM 12-04-2015
All my drop-ins have to be pre-registered & I have to have met at least one parent along with the child; I need the same paperwork filled out that regular families do also, the only difference is the contract they sign stating that they know Drop-in care is not guaranteed to be available at anytime and that I need a minimum 12-24 hrs notice. I have the option of saying no even if a spot is open on any given day ( I do that sometimes if prior plans would get messed up).

I have only taken one emergency client, but I sort of knew her thru another family so it worked out ok - mom ended up in the ER 4 days after given birth... I am a certified postpartum doula and that was the only reason I did it
Blackcat31 10:56 AM 12-04-2015
Originally Posted by KristinsHomeCC:
When you all say "drop in rate"... does it mean a child you've never watched before? Like...if a family had a last min. Emergency and knew of your FHCC..is that the type of drop in care you allow??

Or is it a family that's been interviewed before and only needs care every now and then?

I had someone ask me at 6a.m. this morning through a text if she could drop her daughter off with me, Emergency. She's never even met me. Of course I said no, sorry, doesn't work that way.

But it made me wonder what you describe '"drop in care as..."
Drop in for me is anyone attending less than 3 days per week.

I have a "drop in" family that attends Fridays only and only IF there is space for them that particular Friday.

It means I am not obligated to hold a space for them and they pay only for the days used. I usually have my drop in family every week but there have been times in which I don't see them again for 2 or 3 weeks.

I charge ALOT for drop in (2.5 times my regular daily rate) and it is payable upon drop off in CASH.
Blackcat31 10:58 AM 12-04-2015
I used to take emergency drop ins but no longer have the space to do so and we have a Crisis Nursery in our community that provides that type of emergency services so its not often I am even asked about that type of care.

I used to take a lot of drop ins because I worked closely with a women's shelter and a women's halfway house for recovering addicts and I would get a lot of those clients that only needed emergency care for support meetings or one time appointments but I don't contract with those facilities any longer.
midaycare 11:07 AM 12-04-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I used to take emergency drop ins but no longer have the space to do so and we have a Crisis Nursery in our community that provides that type of emergency services so its not often I am even asked about that type of care.

I used to take a lot of drop ins because I worked closely with a women's shelter and a women's halfway house for recovering addicts and I would get a lot of those clients that only needed emergency care for support meetings or one time appointments but I don't contract with those facilities any longer.
I am set up to take emergency drop-ins. I have different "emergency" criteria though. We don't really have shelters or anything here. My emergency is for parents who feel their child is not in a safe daycare environment and they need somewhere to take their child while they find a new one.

We have had a few daycares shut down recently due to abuse/neglect. It's referral only and they do have to pay. Every 2-4 months I've gotten someone, and when a local place shut down, I took a lot. No more than 2 weeks, though. My assistant does not like to work full time.
ChelseaB 11:51 AM 12-04-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
All my drop-ins have to be pre-registered & I have to have met at least one parent along with the child; I need the same paperwork filled out that regular families do also, the only difference is the contract they sign stating that they know Drop-in care is not guaranteed to be available at anytime and that I need a minimum 12-24 hrs notice. I have the option of saying no even if a spot is open on any given day ( I do that sometimes if prior plans would get messed up).

I have only taken one emergency client, but I sort of knew her thru another family so it worked out ok - mom ended up in the ER 4 days after given birth... I am a certified postpartum doula and that was the only reason I did it

Controlled Chaos 11:59 AM 12-04-2015
I would have to know the child/family personally to do an emergency drop in. I have several families on my wait list that I email available drop in days each month, it's first come first serve. I have all their paperwork. They pay at drop offs.
Thriftylady 12:23 PM 12-04-2015
I have a drop in right now! Drop in for me is a child who I have interviewed with the parents, have basic paperwork and they come when I have space available on a less than part-time basis.

Today I have the grandson of the grandmother who had another of her grandsons over the summer and used me. Her daughter is staying with her, and they needed care for a few hours this evening. He may or may not be back another time.
daycare 12:52 PM 12-04-2015
I used to offer it, but don't any more. I only did it when I first started doing childcare.

I had some substitute teachers that would use me when they picked up shifts, but I prefer to have consistency.

so I don't offer it anymore.
Reply Up