Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>After School Rates?
~Poppy~ 09:23 AM 02-16-2016
Hello! This is my first post but I've been reading for a about a year. I started reading when I was having issues with the family I was doing care for at the time. Since the. I lost those kids (the dad lost his job so no need for care). Anyways, I have a new situation I need help with. I have a neighbor who needs temporary care of her 4 kids the 3-4 weeks starting next week. She just called and left me this message. 2 of the kids are very young 5months and 2ish and 2 would just be here after school. I've never done after school care and have no idea what to charge? Does anyone have any insight? I need to call her back today and tell her my rates. I wasn't looking for kids (been taking a break since the last family was so full of problems). This is short notice and a temporary situation and I don't have any clue what to charge

Thanks in advance
Second Home 09:54 AM 02-16-2016
You could check and see what programs like the YMCA and school based care are charging and go from there. Also figure in whether you have to pick these children up from school or the bus stop.
Ariana 10:18 AM 02-16-2016
I looked at what the schools were charging and based my rate off that. In my area they charge $25 a day whether the kid is there before and after or just one. I decided to not do this and charged $15 for before school care since I also had to feed breakfast. My usual "weird hours" price is $10 per hour + $5 if I have to feed them.
Unregistered 12:08 PM 02-16-2016
Check with your local ymca to compare 😊
ChelseaB 12:39 PM 02-16-2016
I know I should probably charge more, but I charge a flat rate for the week of $50/child. This includes care from 3-6 and one snack. This is with the consideration that most SA kiddos are more self sufficient. I believe that is close to what the Y charges in my area (possibly a little more). I do offer sibling discounts as well... But everyone is different!

I chose this route because many of my regular families leave about the time these guys arrive with one or two exceptions. Therefore, I am normally open later just for the school age kiddos, and I don't want to be waiting for them to arrive and decline or postpone personal plans when/if they no show. That way, I'm still being compensated for my time, regardless. I ran into this problem with my first ever set of SAK -- I'd wait for their arrival and budget for their income only to not have them numerous times. Then they abruptly stopped coming with a one day notice from their mother. Plus, they are a lot more work in my book. They're much more difficult to keep entertained, and I feel that they're too bored with me because of my more infant and toddler based program.

Just some thoughts from my perspective!
Unregistered 04:44 PM 02-16-2016
My son attends the YMCA after school, and the cost is $75 per week, which includes transportation from his school to the Y and one snack. We pay this amount even if there are holidays or no school days during the week in question, full day care for no school days is $40 per day. The after school program at his public school is $60 per week and does not include a snack, but you only pay for the days you actually use. We live in southern NH (I'm sure rates differ throughout the country, so to give a comparison, full time infant care is probably $250 on average at a daycare center). Hope this helps!
~Poppy~ 05:54 PM 02-16-2016
Thanks! I was thinking $50 per week/per kid. I would be getting them off of the bus and provide a snack.
Reply Up