Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Put My Big Girl Panties On
lovemydaycare0912 02:36 PM 09-02-2016
May not seem like much to you but I have this awesome dcm. Although dcb never misses a day, he does stay home when he's sick, always picked up on time, paid on time, etc. Dcb 2.5 is a handful. I think he has autism and never had a real conversation with mom because she refused to believe doctor who told her he was delayed. His tantrums, biting, and hitting have gotten so much worse in the last 2 weeks. His doctor's appt is next week and I told her she needs to have him screened because he may truly have something developmentally wrong with him. She said she would definitely talk with doctor and let me know what they suggest. I thought she would have knocked down the idea. I plan on writing a list of things for her to discuss with the doctor so she doesn't miss anything. I can't care for him much longer without a diagnosis or something.
Poptarts22 03:38 PM 09-02-2016
How will a diagnosis change his behavior? It's not like being a broken arm where the healing begins upon diagnosis.
daycarediva 05:01 PM 09-02-2016
You need a behavior management plan, a list of goals, what you will be doing to help child meet those goals, and listed dates of improvement needed by.

Often behavior gets worse, not better and you want to cover bases now.
daycarediva 05:03 PM 09-02-2016
oh and good for you! It's THE hardest thing to bring up to a parent I think (and I have a special needs child, so it's HARD to hear). It's awesome to DO though, dck has an advocate in you. It's also neat that dcm is receptive now! Hopefully dck will get help.
lovemydaycare0912 05:43 PM 09-02-2016
I never meant that getting a diagnosis will heal his behavior. Obviously not. However, knowing what it is that he has, if anything, will help us to know how to treat it. Same as when you go to the doctors because you are sick. Once they know what you have, they know how to treat it to make it better.

I plan on doing a behavior chart with him so his mom can understand the level of difficulty he is causing me. Once he turns 3 in Feb. I'M not sure if I can keep him. It's even now and I'm unsure. He is a good kid, just felt like if we knew what was causing his behavior, we could help him out more.

Thanks for your advice.
MunchkinWrangler 07:06 PM 09-02-2016
No, a diagnosis won't "cure" him but there are different levels and it's important to know what path to take to help this child become an adult. 'Nuf said.

OP good for you , this child will get the treatment that will better his skills and become a contributing member to say society.
Sunchimes 07:25 PM 09-02-2016
He can get into ECI right now. Even if it is only 6 months, they can give you some tools to deal with things now. If he qualifies for help after he turns 3, ECI can help getting him into the special needs program in public school. Here, if a child's behavior warrants it, they can get play therapy or other behavioral help intil age 5.
lovemydaycare0912 07:32 AM 09-03-2016
Thanks guys. Yes here it is called Birth-3 so at least he can get 6 months well now about 5 months of some help from them. Hope you all enjoy your Labor Day weekend.
Reply Up