Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Naptime questions
cadaycare 03:06 PM 04-29-2009
Hi -
I plan to get my license and I'm expecting 'infants' (in CA this is any child under age 2) because there seems to be more demand. I was wondering, how does everyone get a number of children to take a nap at naptime? Also, what time and for how long do you all have for naptime? I'm just trying to figure out how I'll do this. My child is only 14.5 months and I just want to know if there is some technique used that can help 2-3 children down for naps simultaneously. Thanks.
Thank you also to everyone who has offered advice. It is so very helpful. This site is a great resource!
GretasLittleFriends 05:31 PM 04-30-2009
This is a great question. I don't have this issue yet, as I only have 3 kids, one of which is mine. The two older ones don't take naps anymore. The only thing I can think of is to maybe not have the infants sleep in the same room if that's an option. That way if one stirs he/she won't accidentally wake another one.
Unregistered 06:41 PM 04-30-2009
I have all older children on cots, but they all go down at the same time. I pat two backs at a time until they go to sleep. I also try to make sure they get an adequate amount of physical activity so they are a little worn out. Usually takes about 20 minutes and everyone is snoozing. I think I'm actually kind of lucky that they are all nappers. Nap time is from 1 to 3, but if they wake up early they are allowed to look at books on their cots.

What also works well for me is making the room as dark as possible, white noise on top of relaxation CDs, not lullaby music, but garden rain type music specifically made to play when adults need help going to sleep. Target sold a nice one for awhile that was called "Sleep". Words and singing can sometimes be disturbing and you get the occasional child that really enjoys the music and wants to sing or hum along, which is wonderful, but not during nap. I also use that J&J bedtime baby lotion on my hands right before I start patting backs.

A lot just depends on the children but I've found that a consistent routine and a nap time is nap time, and nothing else attitude can do wonders.

For what it's worth, I worked in a center where it was less than ideal situation, waaaaay too many children in one room, legal, but not ideal. Three of us used to get 30 3 year and 4 year olds down in 30 minutes. I didn't like the place, that's why I "used" to work there, but we got the children to sleep without threats and meanness, just back patting and shushing.
cadaycare 11:51 AM 05-02-2009
Wow! Thanks for the great advice. I will definitely keep this in mind. It sounds like you really know what you're doing!
Reply Up