Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Age Care
Dabill 07:02 PM 12-17-2017
Does anyone run a program only for school age kids?
hwichlaz 08:26 AM 12-18-2017
Gosh no. The expectation for school aged care in my county is that it cost parents significantly less than the care of younger children, despit them eating more, using more supplies, and being harder to take care of. I’d rather change diapers than deal with a mouthy 3rd grader.

The only school aged kids I accept are those that have grown up in my program.
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 12-18-2017
nope.

I don't even let them in the door...

I used to take school aged kids but they really don't mesh well with under school aged kids so I stopped.

Plus our community has so many options for school aged kids that it just wasn't worth the stress.
Dabill 09:44 AM 12-18-2017
LOL, I know older kids can be more difficult than the young ones! I only ask because there is a big need for school age care in my community. The public school had a program years ago but closed due to lack of funding, now there are no options. I think funding would still be a problem even with a family daycare type program since people don't want to pay as much for older kids..
storybookending 10:07 AM 12-18-2017
I used to work exclusively with after school kids for 5 years in an after school program during the school year and a “summer camp” during the summer. This was through a YMCA. In two words, NEVER AGAIN. I still have a few close friends that work it still and just the hinges they complain about never change.

I personally say I don’t take after school kids, say one wishing to enroll for an entire summer, but I have taken older siblings a day here and there or on school closed days as I usually have a few of my regular kids off those days.

We ran our after school care right at the elementary schools in the gym or cafeteria, depending on the school. They “rented” the space but I’ve since found they don’t pay anything to rent it as the school district sees it as a public service and a perk for parents that their kids can stay there after school and not have to pay for bussing. It ran/runs from school close (2:40-3:00 depending on the school) until 6PM. They charged $150 a month for 5 days and $135(?) for 4 days. Drop in rate was $30 per day and only available if there was space, not guaranteed. The program was licensed and subject to all that that involves. They got a snack, outdoor play, group game, quiet time/homework help, and an occasional craft (which I believe now is a daily thing, an option not something they have to do).
Play Care 11:37 AM 12-18-2017
Originally Posted by Dabill:
LOL, I know older kids can be more difficult than the young ones! I only ask because there is a big need for school age care in my community. The public school had a program years ago but closed due to lack of funding, now there are no options. I think funding would still be a problem even with a family daycare type program since people don't want to pay as much for older kids..
A provider in my town did it, but she was finishing her Masters at the time, and liked having the school day to attend class and do homework. She also volunteered at the school during the day, IIRC. She quit once she graduated though.
I've always thought that in home day care would work for SA kids if those were the only kids the provider had, because you could really cater to that group. I do think the mix of littles and SA is a turn off for many (including me )
Dabill 11:50 AM 12-18-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
A provider in my town did it, but she was finishing her Masters at the time, and liked having the school day to attend class and do homework. She also volunteered at the school during the day, IIRC. She quit once she graduated though.
I've always thought that in home day care would work for SA kids if those were the only kids the provider had, because you could really cater to that group. I do think the mix of littles and SA is a turn off for many (including me )
Yes, I wouldn't want to mix. But if you could have a space completely dedicated to school age children I think it would work!
hwichlaz 12:14 PM 12-18-2017
I don’t see it even being profitable unless I was in a district with year round school.

Year round school districts have kids on different tracks so the kids are never all at school at once, one group is always on break. If I could stay full, with full timers year round then it’d work.
amberrose3dg 12:22 PM 12-18-2017
We have a need for it here as the after school program is limited with spots. It is not open on delays, school closings or breaks like spring break. I'm considering doing just before and after once my youngest goes to school in 2 years.
Tags:school age care
Reply Up