Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>4 Year Old Wants Diapers New Baby In Home
dadof2 08:50 PM 09-09-2013
Hi i am a dad of two and well me and my wife had a baby boy a month ago. well my 4 year old who is potty trained has been watching us change our 1 month olds diapers and he said he wanted to wear them and us to change him. I was wondering what i should do about this? i asked our daycare provider she suggested having him wear them for a while. she said if he did come wearing a diaper she would have to change him like any other child in the main room so she can keep am eye on the other kids. what do you guys think we should do?
SilverSabre25 09:48 PM 09-09-2013
I think that what your 4 year old is REALLY expressing is a desire for some dedicated time and attention. Involve him in the baby's care (can you help me? Can you hold the package of wipes? Can you brig me a diaper? Can you pick out an outfit? just as examples). Find times to give him special Big Boy time with each parent. Talk to him about what he was like as a baby; make sure you have pictures around and tell him stories about him as a baby. tell him HIS birth story if he seems interested.

And don't put him back in diapers. next time it comes up explain to him that babies wear diapers because they are too little to use the potty. He's SO BIG now that he wears underwear. But acknowledge that maybe he's feeling jealous, like he wants the same attention the baby is getting. Offer to cuddle him like a baby, cradle him like a baby. Offer to rock with him like a baby. Tell him that you can't let him wear diapers because that wouldn't be good for him now that he's BIG.
dadof2 09:56 PM 09-09-2013
ahh ok will try that how come i shouldnt put him in a diaper?
Unregistered 10:49 PM 09-09-2013
Its developmentally wrong., child is too old for diapers, what happens when he a
sks yo be breastfed too?
Angelsj 04:58 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Its developmentally wrong., child is too old for diapers, what happens when he a
sks yo be breastfed too?
Actually, I let all my older kids taste breastmilk (on a spoon) when they were older. They didn't ask again..
However, you are just begging for trouble putting him in diapers. He is young enough to not be overly embarrassed by them, but old enough to realize he would not need to stop playing and go inside to potty.
How about getting him a "baby" of his own, and little doll diapers so he can change the it himself.
Familycare71 05:09 AM 09-10-2013
I agree don't allow him to be in diapers. However do start having convos at home in front of him but not too him about how your so excited because he doesn't wear diapers he can do things baby can't... Have a convo about how you can take him to the park for longer than the baby because he is so big and he is potty trained! Then go to the park together- it can even be simple things that he can do because he is BIG but baby can't because he is LITTLE...
He just wants to feel special and have attention - he has noticed babies need lots of changing! .
Cat Herder 10:35 AM 09-10-2013
1. What would your mom/dad have said to you if you wanted to go back into diapers at four years old???

2. What will your answer be when at 14 he decides he wants to drive the family car to the corner store while you are asleep????

The ground work starts here...

I know it seems far off... it is not. I blinked and my baby boys were in high school. It is cumulative and fast.
Unregistered 10:41 AM 09-10-2013
My 2 year old son is potty trained and he wanted to wear diapers when 3 babies enrolled in my daycare. I asked him if he wanted to pretend he was a baby and and he said yes. So I put a diaper in top of his clothes and I pretended I was changing his diaper, but I told him first that it was just pretending he was a baby that he should not pee in that diaper. He played the same game in another 2 occasions and then moved on. It seems they just want to pretend and reenact what is going on around.
Brooksie 04:39 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I think that what your 4 year old is REALLY expressing is a desire for some dedicated time and attention. Involve him in the baby's care (can you help me? Can you hold the package of wipes? Can you brig me a diaper? Can you pick out an outfit? just as examples). Find times to give him special Big Boy time with each parent. Talk to him about what he was like as a baby; make sure you have pictures around and tell him stories about him as a baby. tell him HIS birth story if he seems interested.

And don't put him back in diapers. next time it comes up explain to him that babies wear diapers because they are too little to use the potty. He's SO BIG now that he wears underwear. But acknowledge that maybe he's feeling jealous, like he wants the same attention the baby is getting. Offer to cuddle him like a baby, cradle him like a baby. Offer to rock with him like a baby. Tell him that you can't let him wear diapers because that wouldn't be good for him now that he's BIG.

Reply Up