Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Grits
Josiegirl 03:33 PM 10-07-2018
I have to admit I've led a very sheltered life. Today is the first day I've ever tried grits. Evidently 1 of my dcgs loves grits so I bought some. I'm not crazy about them. All I did was cook them and throw a little real maple syrup on them. TG for the maple syrup.
Those of you who eat them and/or serve them to your kiddos, how do you cook them and serve them? Are they better with cheese?
Michael 04:25 PM 10-07-2018
Grits is one of the staples of traditional American foods. The dish came from a Native American Muskogee tribe's recipe in the 16th century, of Indian corn. Three-quarters of grits sold in the U.S. are bought in the South in what is sometimes called the "grits belt".
BumbleBee 08:08 PM 10-07-2018
I'm right there with you on the sheltered life. I've heard of grits but have never tried them or even know what they are. Needless to say I have never made them. I have branched out into couscous and quinoa though so there is that. The kids love couscous, the quinoa wasn't as popular.
Aussiedaycare 09:59 PM 10-07-2018
This is so weird - I was just reading a post on Facebook about someone trying Grits and how to eat them and I desperately wanted to ask what on earth are grits? I was to embarrassed to ask and then I read it on here so I have decided to ask - what are grits???
Mike 10:55 PM 10-07-2018
Originally Posted by Aussiedaycare:
This is so weird - I was just reading a post on Facebook about someone trying Grits and how to eat them and I desperately wanted to ask what on earth are grits? I was to embarrassed to ask and then I read it on here so I have decided to ask - what are grits???
I don't know either, but will post again in a few minutes.
Mike 11:04 PM 10-07-2018
From Wikipedia:
Originally Posted by :
Grits is a food made from corn (maize) that is ground into a coarse meal and then boiled. It is similar to an oatmeal like corn soup.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

Sounds like something I might like. I like things like oatmeal, cream of wheat, and rice, so would probably like this too.
Tags:grits
Reply Up