Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fisher Price Rock n Play Sleeper
nannyde 09:23 AM 04-11-2019
https://abcnews.go.com/US/pediatrici...ry?id=62296388

I hope they ban them. I have had kids who sleep in them at night until they physically outgrow them. They can't sleep on a firm surface without rocking.

I'm surprised Fisher Price just gets to call it an inclined sleeper instead of a swing. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if this item isn't their number one best seller.

Now that this has come out, I imagine there will be lawsuits. It will take lawsuits to get them to stop making them.

The warning not to use over three months is so ridiculous. Parents don't follow that. If they wanted that they would size them down to the point where they wouldn't fit after three months.
Leigh 09:31 AM 04-11-2019
I love the Rock and Play at daycare-I use it to take the newborns with me into the kitchen while making lunch, or to sit them next to me while I do paperwork, or even to take them into the bathroom with me. It makes it so much easier for me to keep them safe and close to me. I just can't believe that any parent would be stupid enough to use it as a crib! It is so obviously NOT safe for that! I agree that banning them would stop rock and play deaths, but those stupid enough to put their kids in them at night will just find another way to endanger their kids so that they (the parents) can sleep, rather than tending to newborns overnight.
Ariana 10:02 AM 04-11-2019
So many parents encourage other parents to engage in these unsafe behaviors. I have seen people recommend certain carseats because they are better for sleeping No one thinks it will happen to them.

And 32 deaths in 7 years? Why did this recall take so long to enact?
Blackcat31 10:16 AM 04-11-2019
I can't find it right now but there was just a thread on here about how great the Rock N Play is/was.... I was surprised at how many providers talked it up like it was the golden ticket to sleep. From what I recall most of it was in reference to their own child but still...
storybookending 10:18 AM 04-11-2019
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I love the Rock and Play at daycare-I use it to take the newborns with me into the kitchen while making lunch, or to sit them next to me while I do paperwork, or even to take them into the bathroom with me. It makes it so much easier for me to keep them safe and close to me. I just can't believe that any parent would be stupid enough to use it as a crib! It is so obviously NOT safe for that! I agree that banning them would stop rock and play deaths, but those stupid enough to put their kids in them at night will just find another way to endanger their kids so that they (the parents) can sleep, rather than tending to newborns overnight.
I use one for daycare too for this reason and also as an extra place during outdoors time but not while they are sleeping. My niece slept in one exclusively and my SIL is going to be better about not even introducing this to their newborn in a few months after seeing this report (so she says). So many infants that I personally know slept in them until they outgrew them, especially since coming out with the ones that self rock!
Cat Herder 10:20 AM 04-11-2019
I doubt I even have to complete a sentence here for everyone to know my opinion.
LostMyMarbles 10:35 AM 04-11-2019
My new baby, the 30 minute nap king, has one at home FOR NIGHT TIME SLEEPING. Mom brought me one and I never brought it in from the garage. I sent it home Monday. I encouraged mom to stop using the one at home. Mom said when he starts to roll over, she will. She posted video of him rolling over at 2.5 months.

If I knew how to inset a face palm thing I would here . Tee hee hee.
Mom2Two 11:07 AM 04-11-2019
Providers here are talking about it, and they feel like it must have not been used properly. They are saying that the straps would prevent a baby from rolling over.

Thoughts?
hwichlaz 11:20 AM 04-11-2019
Originally Posted by nannyde:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/pediatrici...ry?id=62296388

I hope they ban them. I have had kids who sleep in them at night until they physically outgrow them. They can't sleep on a firm surface without rocking.

I'm surprised Fisher Price just gets to call it an inclined sleeper instead of a swing. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if this item isn't their number one best seller.

Now that this has come out, I imagine there will be lawsuits. It will take lawsuits to get them to stop making them.

The warning not to use over three months is so ridiculous. Parents don't follow that. If they wanted that they would size them down to the point where they wouldn't fit after three months.
But it doesn't swing, so it's not a swing right? it's a rocker/recliner. I had one until it wore out. Not the self-rocking kind though. It was a great place for a little one that didn't yet have head control to hang out and watch me make lunch.
Tags:child safety, confinement equipment, fisher price, recall, rock and play sleeper
Reply Up