Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Give a Break?
mrsnj 07:42 AM 06-25-2013
Ok....this is my start of summer 'vacation' for the kids. My SA kids are here full time and so it all begins. BUT......

One of my SA kids decided to go to the shore till Wed. He is an old client of mine. Been with me since he was 3 months old. Hes 9 now. My husband thinks I should offer them the part time rate for this week starting out as a favor cause they have been here so long. Then jack him up to full time next week.

AND

One of my babies ended up in the hospital this week for asthma. She is likely to be back on her next day which is Thur. WHOEVER she already paid me full time rate. She is normally part time but this week was supposed to be full time. Her brother has been coming but not the baby. She is missing two days.
Again my husband thinks I should cut THEM a break too.

My opinion is...this is my business. They pay for a slot and the deal is whatever you committed to for the week is your weekly schedule. (The baby bounces between full time and part time. ) If I cut them both breaks I am taking a $110 loss for the week! This is a cut that they both committed too. It isn't my fault the SA went to the beach. I was expecting him here! AND he was supposed to stay late Monday and I bought dinner of which he was a no show! And the baby....no they weren't planning on taking a half week and isn't their fault but it isn't mine either. SO if she goes back in two weeks from now I cut them a break again? She is newly diagnosed. It can happen until they get her meds right. So I give them a break now and then it is expected always? My thoughts are...you commit, you pay. Maybe I have been in this business for too long and just become hard but $110 is a bill for me!

What would you do?
daycare 07:47 AM 06-25-2013
NOT to be mean to your husband, but this is your business and you should run it the way you see fit.

I honestly would not give any breaks to either family. I have found that once you start to offer special like that, it becomes expected.

The only way that I would even consider a break at all is if the child of the sick family asked me. THen again, I still might say NO..
Willow 07:52 AM 06-25-2013
I wouldn't for the SA but likely would for the baby if they were a good family.

Just me, you need to do what you feel comfortable with. When you don't go with your feelings and your feelings alone you usually end up feeling jipped and resentful.
kathiemarie 08:02 AM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I wouldn't for the SA but likely would for the baby if they were a good family.

Just me, you need to do what you feel comfortable with. When you don't go with your feelings and your feelings alone you usually end up feeling jipped and resentful.
This is what I would do also.
MyAngels 08:10 AM 06-25-2013
If I felt comfortable and wanted to cut a break I would. If not, I wouldn't. I wouldn't do it just because my husband wanted to.
Familycare71 08:28 AM 06-25-2013
For the sick baby if I knew they were struggling financially and I could afford it I might give one of the two days free- but I would also say: I'm happy I can do this for you but I can't do it every time. Or something so they knew it was a one time deal...
SA- no way!
KIDZRMYBIZ 12:10 PM 06-25-2013
...that every time I saved someone else money on their daycare expense, I robbed myself and my family that same money. And I did it, more than I like to admit to myself. Do you think there are many families that would happily tip you an EXTRA $25/week if you mentioned some financial difficulties to them??

I finally decided to charge the absolute minimum I can and still make the profit I want. My rates are low, I am always full (with a long wait-list), and I never feel like I need to give anyone a break anymore...no matter how much I like them, how well they treat me, or whatever financial situation they think has priority over their daycare bill.
mrsnj 06:59 AM 06-27-2013
Thanks.

I decided to go the route of don't go there until asked. Neither asked. The beach boy arrived with full payment and the asthma mom hasn't even brought it up...which I appreciate cause it really puts me in an uncomfortable spot.

KMK- I kind of agree. I have been doing this for way too long and I guess I have learned that I need to stop being so nice cause no one is looking out for me but me. And your right. Giving a break takes money away from my children and family.

Thanks everyone for the advise though. I appreciate it.
Reply Up