Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Broke My Foot
Unregistered 05:01 AM 01-30-2017
I broke my foot last night and I'm not allowed to bare any weight on it. Has anyone else had experience with something like this while doing daycare? I don't have anyone to help, from family either as I'm divorced and my family lives a few hours away. I'm having a hard time not feeling completely overwhelmed by the thought of not being able to do daycare at all during my foot recovery.
LysesKids 05:27 AM 01-30-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I broke my foot last night and I'm not allowed to bare any weight on it. Has anyone else had experience with something like this while doing daycare? I don't have anyone to help, from family either as I'm divorced and my family lives a few hours away. I'm having a hard time not feeling completely overwhelmed by the thought of not being able to do daycare at all during my foot recovery.
I feel for you... single, empty nester here with no family. I have had 2 injuries that should have kept me closed for a few weeks, but I worked thru the pain and kept leg elevated on a stool w/pillow when possible. Of course it helped that most my charges were littles that I could hold or rock lol. I closed for one day and then re-opened both times

When it comes to cooking I suggest you bring a chair to the workspace that you can use to kneel on with the bad leg and keep weight off the foot. Take OTC pain meds when needed and as soon as kids leave, SIT for one hour doing paperwork before you try and clean (I always had a glass of wine to relax)... it was crazy but my families understood and they tried to pick up early on any days they could. If needed sit on the floor to sort and wipe down toys... pull yourself up on the good leg.
Sunchimes 06:13 PM 01-30-2017
Is the injury such that you can use a knee scooter or hands free crutches?

https://jet.com/product/detail/e14df...WOUaAm-28P8HAQ
Josiegirl 02:05 AM 01-31-2017
I never have but wanted to wish you good luck and a very speedy recovery! I wouldn't try to keep up with your regular routine at all, good time to do easy things; paper plates, letting kids entertain themselves, etc. Downscale as much as possible and don't drag yourself down by trying to keep up with everything. And take the best care of yourself that you can!!
KTsKids 06:45 PM 01-31-2017
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Is the injury such that you can use a knee scooter or hands free crutches?

https://jet.com/product/detail/e14df...WOUaAm-28P8HAQ
These knee scooters are a godsend!! I was born with a genetic disorder that causes my bones to break extremely easily. It's one of the main reasons I quit coaching gymnastics and started my daycare. I've managed to stay open with broken ankles, toes, a leg, wrist, fingers, and a forearm that breaks once every few months. It's not fun, not at all, but it is doable... If the knee scooter would work for your situation definitely try it, my insurance covered all but $10 of mine. It's a great way to keep your hands a bit more free to cook, help with crafts, etc. My kids got a kick out of it, called it "Ms Katie's leg wagon".

When I have an injury I will close for a day or two, until I'm off of any opiate painkillers, then reopen. I live alone and have no assistant so I don't feel comfortable being on anything stronger than motrin with the kiddos here.
Tags:broken bone, provider sickness, sick day - reasons
Reply Up