Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Terminate? Letter? in Person?
legomom922 09:09 AM 10-21-2010
I am thinking I may have to terminate my 17 mo dcb..just too busy for me to handle. I have never terminated before, so how is this normally done? Through a letter or do you just tell them?
tymaboy 09:12 AM 10-21-2010
I write up a letter & tell them in person. That way I have a paper trail as well if needed.
legomom922 09:13 AM 10-21-2010
how do you even begin to word it? and what is the best day?
legomom922 10:05 AM 10-21-2010
Do you also say how bad the kid is or do you make up some other excuse?
momma2girls 10:07 AM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Do you also say how bad the kid is or do you make up some other excuse?
If I am going to terminate I let the parents know everything all the way through their behavior, and say to them, something like- I will give it one or two more weeks at trying this way, or any suggestions that you have, if not any better, then give them a 2 week notice of termination.
marniewon 10:13 AM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
If I am going to terminate I let the parents know everything all the way through their behavior, and say to them, something like- I will give it one or two more weeks at trying this way, or any suggestions that you have, if not any better, then give them a 2 week notice of termination.
This is exactly what I did also. Mom knew way ahead of time that he was having behavioral problems, so it wasn't a huge surprise when I termed her.
legomom922 10:27 AM 10-21-2010
Well I would like to use them a reference in the future, so I do have some medical issues that need addressing, so I was thinking of using that.
Blackcat31 10:52 AM 10-21-2010
I would write a letter using a positive approach and just explain that your program is not a good match for her son. If you let the blame lie a little more on you than the child the dcm won't feel as if you are saying anything bad about her/her child. Later in a reference she may say you were honest and put her son's needs above your own, which is very professional. I personally wouldn't use the medical issue because it might come across as discriminating. I have had to term due to a kid just not meshing with my program. I always say the child needs a busier or quieter or smaller (or whatever adjective fits) atmosphere than I can give them. Most parents are gratful for my honesty and I haven't had any issues with using that tactic yet.
legomom922 12:25 PM 10-21-2010
Tell me what you think:

As you are aware, I have had foot and back problems in the past which I had disclosed to you in my handbook. The surgery that I had back in April on my foot has left me with some complications that I now must address, including more physical therapy and surgery. I have put the children’s needs in front of my own, and I now need to focus more on my personal health issues. Jordan is a very busy little guy, full of energy and needs someone who is more capable of keeping up with him, than I am at this time.

There also has been some family dynamics that have recently changed as we were given temporary custody of my stepson, which also adds more challenges, including more court appearances and parental responsibilities that I need to be more available for, as I am able.

Many things seem to have happened at once which was unforeseen and I do not want to inconvenience you, nor do I want to compromise the care I provide, so with regret and a heavy heart, please accept this letter as my 2 week notice. The last day I will be providing care will be Nov. 4, 2010.

I have enjoyed working with Jordan very much, he is a great little guy and I will miss him. If you need back up childcare in the future, I will be more than happy to watch him on occasion.

You have a great family and I wish you all the best in the future!
kidkair 12:44 PM 10-21-2010
I've only written one termination letter and mailed it to the family (the parents were split and I wanted to make sure both got it and about the same time). I wrote a brief explanation as to why in the letter. The next time the dad came to pick up he took the letter out of his pocket and asked that I explain myself in my own words. I laughed and pointed to the letter and said that I wrote the letter in my own words and if he wanted to talk about it he could call be after hours as I was not going to discuss any details in front of his kid. It turned into a rather ugly situation where he attempted to turn my words against me and refused to pay. Since then I have decided that it I term I'm writing the letter and only stating that I find myself incapable of caring for their kid past a certain date without any other explanation. If I'm pushed to give more verbally I'll just say they are personal and I will not share them.
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Tell me what you think:

As you are aware, I have had foot and back problems in the past which I had disclosed to you in my handbook. The surgery that I had back in April on my foot has left me with some complications that I now must address, including more physical therapy and surgery. I have put the children’s needs in front of my own, and I now need to focus more on my personal health issues. Jordan is a very busy little guy, full of energy and needs someone who is more capable of keeping up with him, than I am at this time.

There also has been some family dynamics that have recently changed as we were given temporary custody of my stepson, which also adds more challenges, including more court appearances and parental responsibilities that I need to be more available for, as I am able.

Many things seem to have happened at once which was unforeseen and I do not want to inconvenience you, nor do I want to compromise the care I provide, so with regret and a heavy heart, please accept this letter as my 2 week notice. The last day I will be providing care will be Nov. 4, 2010.

I have enjoyed working with Jordan very much, he is a great little guy and I will miss him. If you need back up childcare in the future, I will be more than happy to watch him on occasion.

You have a great family and I wish you all the best in the future!
I think it sounds great. I think including some of the personal stuff without being overly personal is okay because you have already told parents in your handbook about your situation. Maybe if you don't have to tell her so much about your stepson, just say you have an added family member. The rest is not her business. But all in all I think the letter sounds good and as a mom, I would not be offended. I think you did a good job showing that her son was your priority and if you can't do your best, then it isn't good for him. Nicely done. Good Luck!
legomom922 03:40 PM 10-21-2010
Well I told DCM when she came what was going on, she seemed to take it very well. She seemed more dissappointed more than anything else. I feel better though. I hate to hurt someone, but he's just way too much for me right now, and I think he has hyperactivity disorder or something. I really need to focus more on my personal/health right now and can probably find a better match later on.

thank for all the help!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 04:12 PM 10-21-2010
legomom, so glad you are doing ok. and that she took it ok.
legomom922 07:47 AM 10-22-2010
Parents came this am and were still friendly & polite, so I guess I didn't piss them off too bad..I think they are just more dissappointed than anything because they really liked me. DCB is only 17 mo and this was his 4 DCP, so I have a feeling thery have had issues with other DCP's because of how he acts.
Tags:terminate, termination letter
Reply Up