Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview with Sub/Helper tonight
jojosmommy 10:27 AM 02-16-2011
I am interviewing a sub/helper tonight.

Any tips on things I should ask?

Does anyone do a "working interview" where they let the sub/helper come in and you step aside and let them try it out (while you are there of course if need be)?

Anyone in SE MN know of anyone awesome to try? I have had the hardest time even getting responses to my ads.
daycare 10:35 AM 02-16-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:

Does anyone do a "working interview" where they let the sub/helper come in and you step aside and let them try it out (while you are there of course if need be)?

Anyone in SE MN know of anyone awesome to try? I have had the hardest time even getting responses to my ads.
I have been wanting to know the answers to her questions as well sorry not trying to highjack your post...

Also, what do you do if your sub does not show up for work? or they get sick? how do you cover yourself from being out of ratio??
KEG123 10:43 AM 02-16-2011
Well, the only experience I have with a sub is the one my online mommy friend has recently hired. She hired her to work for her for 4 weeks because she just had a baby. Now, this chick has "called in" or requested to leave early at least 7 times in the last 2.5 weeks. WOW! So I'd really make sure she knows that she HAS to be dependable. Set ground rules early, you call in so many times, you're done. I just feel so bad for my friend who had a baby and she's busy stressing about this lady calling off, and then she has to go back downstairs with her newborn and all the daycare kids.
Autismworld 11:05 AM 02-16-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:

How far SE MN are you?? What County???
Little People 11:20 AM 02-16-2011
I would just tell her what you expect from her. I would tell her that she will be on probation for 90 days and if she misses or is late more than 1 time you will let her go.
I would ask her upfront if she has any appointments in the next 90 days. Does she have children of her own, if so this is a clue that if her child gets sick, she will miss a day or so. Does she have her own car?

I would require a background check. Ask her UPFRONT is there anything on her record including driving record.

Then put her on the spot with:
1. Why should I hire you? (she should be able to answer you without thinking)
2. Why do you want this job? (if her first answer is money, I would be concerned)
jojosmommy 11:50 AM 02-16-2011
Olmsted county.
Reply Up