Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interesting article about Care.com & Sitter City
HappyHearts 07:11 AM 11-14-2012
Someone shared this with me earlier today, thought I would share it here too.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigat...179041071.html
Breezy 07:36 AM 11-14-2012
Wow!!!!!!! That is just unbelievable.
SunshineMama 07:48 AM 11-14-2012
Wow that's crazy!
MarinaVanessa 09:27 AM 11-14-2012
Okay maybe I'm the only one that thinks this way but I pretty much figured that this is what happened even before I read the story. This is also why you have to be really careful when you read news story or watch news on the TV.

"Dominic has never been convicted of a crime in Cook County, only charged"
Innocent until proven guilty. Even background checks by licensing through the DOJ will clear an applicant that wants to run a licensed daycare. If you aren't guilty of a crime then theres no reason to deny that person to work with children and for oh so many reasons you aren't required to disclose this type of info on applications to work with children in daycares.

"But Caroline has at least three speeding tickets in three different states"
From how long ago? These tickets could be ancient and probably are, in CA 3 speeding tickets within an 18 month period (i believe?) equals a license suspention. Caroline wouldn't even be able to drive if this was the case which in some cases is moot because some parents look for a provider that doesn't transport anyway so why would it matter if she had speeding tickets anyway. Did she take traffic court or driver training after receiving her speeding tickets? If she did then that should count for something. And if she didn't well ... I transport kids and I drive differently and much slower when my DCK and my own kids are in the car. I got a speeding ticket 8 months ago (and told my DCF's) and none of my DCF's cared much about it (it was on a weekend trip without the kiddos).

"Dominic has four separate arrests on his record ranging from charges of criminal damage to property, possession of marijuana, battery with intent to cause bodily harm, and domestic battery"
Going by what licensing standards are in my area the only person that would be denied a license to do home DC would be Dominic and then only because of the marijuana charge. None of the other stuff is child related so without the drug charge it wouldn't immediately put him out of the running. If he was applying for a daycare and any of the above were felonies (and taking out the drug charge) then it would still be up to the facility to decide whether or not the person could work there or not because even though they are felonies they are not immediately child related.

"Linda" the prostitute ... well how long ago was this and again, not child related.

I know that we as parents always want the best person to care for our children but this story is written to create shock factor obviously but I think it missed the mark completely. No where did the story say or suggest that it is a parent's responsibility to ensure that they double check the info they are recieving. If there was a background check done ... I want to see it and that can easily be done by requiring that your applicants submit their own background check results run by the DOJ. I want to see the background check for myself ... not just take your word for it. I would ask to see this proof just as I would ask to see the persons driving record and CPR certifications. The websites are there to HELP you find childcare and narrow down results ... yes they charge you a fee (providers) to be able to run a basic background check but most of the charges the story says that the sites didn't find wouldn't even be relevant to licensing authorities ... not in my area at least. Even felonies here are reviewed on a case by case basis.
Sugar Magnolia 10:45 AM 11-14-2012
I agree with Marina that the article was misleading. But, as far as Linda goes, if someone was arrested for prostitution multiple times, I honestly don't care how long ago it was, or that it is not "child related", I would not want a former prostitute anywhere near my children.
I had a parent use care.com......she was VERY unhappy! The sitter hired was smelly, gruff and was described as "acting really shifty". The mom stated she felt like had to check her valuables after she left.
Reply Up