Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>6 Weeks and 9 Weeks
care-care 04:30 AM 11-12-2010
I currently have a 19 week old (9 weeks was 10 weeks premature) and have someone with a 6 week old looking for care. Would I be crazy to take to so close in age? anybody have any input?
BentleysBands 04:32 AM 11-12-2010
personally, it would depend on what the other ages of the other kids are, how big is your group, what your allowed in your state.....for me, i would if i had the room.
legomom922 04:43 AM 11-12-2010
I would! I only take infants anyway. They are sooo much easier to me! All they do is eat sleep and poop. LOL
AfterSchoolMom 05:06 AM 11-12-2010
I totally would, if I was taking babies right now.

Legomom, not to threadjack, but is there a certain age at which your kids "graduate" and need to find another place? Just curious - I'm really interested in that situation (infants only) as a prospect for next year.
care-care 05:38 AM 11-12-2010
I have no other kids right now.. just the one baby so this would be two babies.. i think it would be managable. I just think of I only have two hands lol.. what if they both need me at once ha ha.I am new to daycare and I dont think I want 6 kids at once right now anyways. I was thinking 4 would be a nice number. But maybe I will start out with 2 babies and not advertise for any more til I get in the groove of things.

Two under 18 months is what is aloud in michigan
Lilbutterflie 05:47 AM 11-12-2010
I think it's manageable! But since they are both so young and eating/sleeping on demand there would be little down time unless you get lucky enough to have both sleeping at the same time! You may have one crying while you are feeding the other and so forth.

How is your 9 week old? Good, easy baby or one that cries a lot & needs to be held all of the time? I think that would impact my decision. If they are both fairly easy going babies, it might work out great! If they are both fussy and needy, it would be a struggle.
legomom922 05:53 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I totally would, if I was taking babies right now.

Legomom, not to threadjack, but is there a certain age at which your kids "graduate" and need to find another place? Just curious - I'm really interested in that situation (infants only) as a prospect for next year.
At 2 yrs they leave and go on to more of a preschool setting. I consider my DC as that of a loving Aunt. You also get premium pay for infants, and low overhead, as parenst supple everything!

If they are both hungry at the same time, one waits. They learn patience that way, and that the world does not revolve around them. Same as it would be in a multiple sibling household. Gotta wait your turn!
momofsix 05:58 AM 11-12-2010
I've done it, and it IS a lot of work! But if you're prepared and you think you're up to it-go for it! The payoff is great when you have infants and are able to "train" them in your ways. Yes, there will be times when they both need you at the same time, but you can only do what you can do, and the babies WILL be ok if they have to wait a moment for something!
SandeeAR 06:10 AM 11-12-2010
It can be done, but I'll warn you that close in age, it is work. I LOVE having the babies. Mine are (now) 12 weeks, 7 mo, 11 mo, and 2 1/2 years. I got all the babies at either 6 or 8 weeks. I took the advice of all the "multiple shows". I got them on the same schedule. That makes bottle time a little tough, but it is douable.

If they were both demanding to eat at the same time, I would place one in the infant seat on the floor and hold one. The one I was holding, I had in my left arm and held the bottle with that hand. Used the right hand for the bottle of the one in the seat.

Most times, I got the the one fussing first and fed them, and then the other one.

Having them on the same nap schedule helps a lot! You get some free time that way. If you can nap them in opposite rooms at the early ages it helps. That way they don't wake each other up, if they fuss.
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I would! I only take infants anyway. They are sooo much easier to me! All they do is eat sleep and poop. LOL
OOhhh, I wish you lived by me...I usually do NOT take infants...only kids age 18 months and up. I take 18 mos. to Kindergarten. I have made exceptions about the infants if they have been a family I've had forever or if they need care for a school ager if I 've had them for a long time too or they have a sibling in care already. I personally do NOT want the infants and I know in our area there are HUGE wait lists for infant spaces. I used to know a women who only took them from birth to 12 months and passed them my way.....I loved the set up but she moved.
care-care 06:25 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I think it's manageable! But since they are both so young and eating/sleeping on demand there would be little down time unless you get lucky enough to have both sleeping at the same time! You may have one crying while you are feeding the other and so forth.

How is your 9 week old? Good, easy baby or one that cries a lot & needs to be held all of the time? I think that would impact my decision. If they are both fairly easy going babies, it might work out great! If they are both fussy and needy, it would be a struggle.
the 9 week old is actually 19 weeks but a premie he is getting better. I can put him in bouncy and swaddle him or swing him and if I can keep pacifer in his mouth he is golden and he seems to be getting better time to talk to his toys and watch me and be content as he gets older it would be easier. I have two swings ,two pack and plays. I have two excersaucers for when they are bigger. and just TWO HANDS LOL Im sure I can just explain to the dcp that I am trying this out and see if Ii can handle it right?
laundrymom 08:32 AM 11-12-2010
I would, Ill have an 8 week ond in 3 weeks, then in mid jan Ill get a 6 week old. I like to have agemates. They play so well when they have someone else their own size and ability.
MommyMuffin 08:35 AM 11-12-2010
I would say go with your gut
SimpleMom 10:02 AM 11-12-2010
It can be sooooo fun having two infants. My two are one month apart. They are both very easy-going, whih helps. They have lots of fun together. It's very busy and lots of work, but I enjoy that. My other kiddos are 3-5y.
laundrymom 10:09 AM 11-12-2010
its crazy sometimes but I love having agemates, I am actually throwing a third into the bunch in april! lol
my last set of day triplets, ( not siblings but they are within 3 weeks of each other and Ihad them as newborns) They turned 5 last may and are all in Kindergarten. Im beginning to think I may feel those five years when I get the babies,..lol. Im older now. lol

Originally Posted by SimpleMom:
It can be sooooo fun having two infants. My two are one month apart. They are both very easy-going, whih helps. They have lots of fun together. It's very busy and lots of work, but I enjoy that. My other kiddos are 3-5y.

legomom922 10:22 AM 11-12-2010
Actually I am even reconsidering keeping them till 2yrs, because the 17month old I had was too much to handle with the newborn, as her always wanted to be loose, but when I was tending to the newborn, I had to put him in the pnp because he would be into everthing, and then he would have a temper tantrum and rock the pnp, so now I'm thinking maybe I should limit it to 12 months or until they start walking.

Blk cat: wished I lived near you too! I would give you all of my graduates!
caitlin 10:32 AM 11-12-2010
As long as your okay with potentially letting one of the fuss for a minute or two while you tend to the other's needs I think you'll be fine. You can always place both of them in boppys or seats to do feeding. And, as they get older and you get them both on the same schedule you will have some downtime everyday.

I would do it.
Tags:infant care
Reply Up