Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Parents Say Stupid Things.....
Unregistered 07:55 AM 04-19-2018
So, I have a fairly new infant age 4 months, been coming 5 weeks now. Easy going little tyke even tho her parents are 1st timers, kind of clueless. Anyway like I said, baby is great. Mom picks up and almost daily says to baby "was miss V. nice to you today" Can I just tell you guys this irritates me. A LOT. Seriously? With all the negative you hear in the news about providers and horrible stuff, her saying that bothers me. What would you guys say? If anything? I feel like saying, "well mom, I duck taped baby to the wall and had dart practice. Ugh
Claraskids 08:30 AM 04-19-2018
"Nope! I was absolutely horrid to you all day. No food, no clean diapers, and I let you sleep outside on the sidewalk. So mom, how was your day?"
Ariana 09:44 AM 04-19-2018
This would just stun me to be honest!! I feel like I would say something like “are you serious? Do you think I am mean to your child? Why did you choose me as his provider then? I feel offended”.....I don’t know, it is just soooooo rude
Unregistered 10:12 AM 04-19-2018
Originally Posted by Claraskids:
"Nope! I was absolutely horrid to you all day. No food, no clean diapers, and I let you sleep outside on the sidewalk. So mom, how was your day?"
Lol, this sounds perfect
daycarediva 10:19 AM 04-19-2018
This would bother me, too. I am pretty direct though, so I would say "Are you serious?" and address it as she answered.
Snowmom 10:29 AM 04-19-2018
Um yea. That is an extremely weird comment.

I'd directly address it if she says it again.

I mean, she knows her infant can't talk, so what's she trying to accomplish in saying that out loud?
Pestle 10:56 AM 04-19-2018
"Was Miss V nice to you today?" is a great open for you to say:

"Are you concerned about the quality of care your child is getting?"

Not in a defensive or aggressive way. Just a matter-of-fact, professional way that'll leave her scrambling for a response.
Unregistered 11:01 AM 04-19-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
This would just stun me to be honest!! I feel like I would say something like “are you serious? Do you think I am mean to your child? Why did you choose me as his provider then? I feel offended”.....I don’t know, it is just soooooo rude
It is rude. I hate it. These parents are idiots. If I could just let you all be a fly on the wall here and hear some of the weirdness that comes out of their mouths. I wish I was more assertive and I want to address it! I have a great reputation and I do my very best as a provider......then bam this dumb nut mother says this. Ahhhhhh
Unregistered 12:15 PM 04-19-2018
The first day that I started as a nanny, the mother asked me if I was going to steal her identity and take her baby. Also, as a nanny, I had a mom tell me that she dreamed I stole her children. Honestly, it's their insecurity and guilt for leaving their children to work. It also signaled to me their concerns that I would steal their children's affection. I made a point to be hands off when Mom was around.
rosieteddy 02:00 PM 04-19-2018
I would address it if it happens again.I would tell parent that it hurts your feelings to imply that the child not have good care.Not to mention that other children may pick up on it.I would explain if she had any doubt about the care the baby gets she should not leave her with you.
mommyneedsadayoff 02:40 PM 04-19-2018
The passive aggressive me would snuggle the baby tomorrow morning at drop off and say, "Was mommy nice to you last night?"...said in whatever tone she used.
Josiegirl 02:45 PM 04-19-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
The passive aggressive me would snuggle the baby tomorrow morning at drop off and say, "Was mommy nice to you last night?"...said in whatever tone she used.
Hahaha, love this.
It wouldn't bother me if dcm was kind of joking and only said it 1-2x. But more than that and I'd probably have to speak up and get clarification as to why she'd say something like that. Maybe she's simply clueless.
Unregistered 05:43 PM 04-19-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Lmao!
nannyde 06:29 PM 04-19-2018
I would do as the others have said. Every morning when she has said this the night before, ask the question "was mommy nice to you last night" and then give a chin down side eye to Mommy. If mom replies "of course I was nice to my baby. I'm her mother." I would reply "Well we both know that mother's account for 2/ 3rds of death and life altering injuries to children. Daycare providers account for a fourth of one percent. So I HAVE to ask the baby after she has been in your care. I'm sure you understand. "
amberrose3dg 03:48 AM 04-20-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I would do as the others have said. Every morning when she has said this the night before, ask the question "was mommy nice to you last night" and then give a chin down side eye to Mommy. If mom replies "of course I was nice to my baby. I'm her mother." I would reply "Well we both know that mother's account for 2/ 3rds of death and life altering injuries to children. Daycare providers account for a fourth of one percent. So I HAVE to ask the baby after she has been in your care. I'm sure you understand. "

I love that response!
Mike 08:39 AM 04-20-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
So true
Jo123ABC 11:27 AM 04-20-2018
I could see myself saying something along the lines of "That's a strange thing to say." And look at them expectantly to see what else they say.
HappyOwl 09:05 AM 04-23-2018
I hate when parents say dumb things like this too. It makes me want to say "then why do you bring your kid to me if you would even have that question??" Sheesh.

I recently had a baby dropped off who had already pooped. This had been a problem with this particular mom not checking her baby before drop off. As soon as I closed the door I smell it and realize that his poop got all over my sleeve of my shirt! UGH! So gross.

Took some time to clean it all up and for me to change my clothes. I text her and notified her of what happened and a reminder to be sure that he arrives clean with a fresh diaper every morning. Her response was "I'm so sorry my son wanted to poop on you! LOL"... grrrrr NOT funny. I had to make sure she realized that he had already pooped when she dropped him off. But why even say that?
tenderhearts 09:28 AM 04-23-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
"Was Miss V nice to you today?" is a great open for you to say:

"Are you concerned about the quality of care your child is getting?"

Not in a defensive or aggressive way. Just a matter-of-fact, professional way that'll leave her scrambling for a response.
That's what I would say too
Reply Up